Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2024, 02:42 AM   #1
wang970305

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
squeak sound from axle back?

After I installed my corsa axleback, somehow I kept experiencing a squeaky noise from the rear of the car... i thought it was the NPP cable hitting the housing, it still makes the noise after taping them down.... sometimes it just appears when I drove over a bump and it might disappear in a few minutes. When I press on the tips, it makes a squeak noise and sometimes it changes to like a vibration or tapping sound... I have tried to use some WD40 to spray on all 4 hangers but still having this issue. the shop that installed my headers mentioned it might be from the suitcase insulator? Does anybody know what I can do
I attached a video below... It looks like the tips are rubbing against the diffuser but after making some clearance, its still like that...

NEED SOME HELP

https://youtube.com/shorts/zBE1kkjk2...8eByBea7gGgGl_
Old 05-11-2024, 01:56 PM   #2
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
There is a bracket right behind the diffusor that bolts to the body and holds the exhaust. Make sure it is tight.

That is a horrible installation too. You are going to melt your diffusor. I know that is a double wall tip, but it still gets pretty hot.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:26 AM   #3
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I had something similar when I put the borla axle back on my car. It ended up being the muffler not far enough forward, and the hanger off the pipe was hitting the metal in the mount not only rubber. I just had to push it all forward, and then the tips didn't stick out like yours are.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:07 PM   #4
wang970305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I had something similar when I put the borla axle back on my car. It ended up being the muffler not far enough forward, and the hanger off the pipe was hitting the metal in the mount not only rubber. I just had to push it all forward, and then the tips didn't stick out like yours are.
Are you referring to part#9? is the rubber worn out or the hanger was not tight
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2024, 02:20 PM   #5
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wang970305 View Post
After I installed my corsa axleback, somehow I kept experiencing a squeaky noise from the rear of the car... i thought it was the NPP cable hitting the housing, it still makes the noise after taping them down.... sometimes it just appears when I drove over a bump and it might disappear in a few minutes. When I press on the tips, it makes a squeak noise and sometimes it changes to like a vibration or tapping sound... I have tried to use some WD40 to spray on all 4 hangers but still having this issue. the shop that installed my headers mentioned it might be from the suitcase insulator? Does anybody know what I can do
I attached a video below... It looks like the tips are rubbing against the diffuser but after making some clearance, its still like that...

NEED SOME HELP

https://youtube.com/shorts/zBE1kkjk2...8eByBea7gGgGl_
Worked on that same exhaust setup on my 1le 2 weekends ago. In fact had to replace the passenger side due to valve rattle. Someone also pointed out about the bracket. That bracket has 3 holes, 2 is used to bolt it on the car and the other has the gasket acts as a hanger. Make sure those 2 bolts are tight. You definitely need to loosen up all of your clamp bolts and reorganize the tips. The tips should not be touching anywhere with good clearance. You can definitely melt that diffuser and hear noises. Finally, make sure the muffler itself is not hitting the heatshield above. Again it requires you to loosen up all clamps and rearranging the mufflers. Don’t assume the exhaust tips have to slide all the way in to the muffler, some do and some stick out an inch or two. At the end of the day, make sure nothing is touching, the center of the tips are aligned and driver side is matching passenger side as far as how much the tips are sticking out. Good luck!
Attached Images

ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:31 PM   #6
Baddawg53

Quote:
Are you referring to part#9? is the rubber worn out or the hanger was not tight
Yes, #9. The rubber wasn't worn out, the car was basically new when I installed it. The part attached to the exhaust that rests on the rubber was pushed rearward too much, causing the angled part to rub on the bracket and make annoying squeaks.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:06 AM   #7
wang970305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Yes, #9. The rubber wasn't worn out, the car was basically new when I installed it. The part attached to the exhaust that rests on the rubber was pushed rearward too much, causing the angled part to rub on the bracket and make annoying squeaks.
I took off that part tonight, you were DAMN RIGHT, there was like a cut on that rubber plastic housing, its prob been rubbing on the exhaust hanger or something. i cut off the cut and put some WD40 on, went for test drive, haven't heard anything so far,,,,,
Old 05-18-2024, 12:46 AM   #8
Baddawg53

Quote:
I took off that part tonight, you were DAMN RIGHT, there was like a cut on that rubber plastic housing, its prob been rubbing on the exhaust hanger or something. i cut off the cut and put some WD40 on, went for test drive, haven't heard anything so far,,,,,
Great news!! Took me forever to find that on my car ...