Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
I'm fixing to order a set of the new SMD side markers from AAC, hopefully they are more dependable than the LED style.
FYI.

SMD is just a Surface Mounted Device (or Diode in this case), that device(Diode) is a Light Emitting Diode.

They only make them with SMD LED's. The durability of the housing has nothing to do with the type of light source used inside. AAC does use high quality SMD LED's though.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #44
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
I'll stir the pot... NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!!

Make your own... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177650

For much cheaper.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #45
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
FYI.

SMD is just a Surface Mounted Device (or Diode in this case), that device(Diode) is a Light Emitting Diode.

They only make them with SMD LED's. The durability of the housing has nothing to do with the type of light source used inside. AAC does use high quality SMD LED's though.
Thanks for the info!
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #46
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I just ordered mine from aac today. . I hope they last.
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
I just ordered mine from aac today. . I hope they last.
If they don't, you have a lifetime warranty my friend.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #48
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Lifetime Warranty > LEDs on top

JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #49
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Are all the people bashing Showstopper's prices crazy or is it me? AAC sidemarkers come out to $360 for them painted and tinted. Which is equivalent to Showstoppers, which are $350, and only $250 after you send your old ones back (why would you keep them).

So its $110 cheaper to go with showstopper. AAC's price is obnoxious. add $60 more if you want ghosting.

AAC = 360 + SHIPPING

Showstopper = 250 (350 -100 core) (free shipping)

And I like the idea of showstopper using stock housings, better fitment, better durability, etc.

So AAC can keep their lifetime warranty, Ill go for a limited (possibly lifetime) warranty from showstopper + saving $120 + better looks + better fitment + better quality
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #50
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Are all the people bashing Showstopper's prices crazy or is it me? AAC sidemarkers come out to $360 for them painted and tinted. Which is equivalent to Showstoppers, which are $350, and only $250 after you send your old ones back (why would you keep them).

So its $110 cheaper to go with showstopper. AAC's price is obnoxious. add $60 more if you want ghosting.

AAC = 360 + SHIPPING

Showstopper = 250 (350 -100 core) (free shipping)

And I like the idea of showstopper using stock housings, better fitment, better durability, etc.

So AAC can keep their lifetime warranty, Ill go for a limited (possibly lifetime) warranty from showstopper + saving $120 + better looks + better fitment + better quality
I can't tell you how many times I have read about people wishing they had kept their original side markers. Technically it is illegal to not have a reflector on the side. So if you ever get pulled over and need to put them back in to get the citation signed off you can go back to the originals without having to buy them again. Or if you ever have to have the warranty replacement you can still drive while waiting for them to show up.

It's all a matter of personal taste really. I do like that the Showstopper light is on the top edge, but I prefer the look of the ghosted or tinted versions of the AAC when they are off. Showstopper does not offer tinted or ghosted. $60 for Ghosting is not outrageous (where did you get this price? I see $79). You can do it yourself cheaper for sure. ($38)

AAC is $258-$268 painted(depending on color). +$79 for ghosting. = $347
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...rkersSale.aspx

Hit up Ivan @ Southwest Speed he does the ghosting as well, and sells the painted side markers for $278 with free shipping.
http://www.southwestspeed.net/produc...pt-Sidemarkers

Or talk with Pete with Showstopper. Both are great guys same with all of those at AAC.

It's really a personal decision. IMO Both are good quality. Yes the Showstopper are factory fit, but my AAC's fit just as well.

Last edited by SummoneR; 01-28-2013 at 05:15 PM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #51
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I've had both and Showstopper is much better quality. Pete will take care of you.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #52
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I have read about people wishing they had kept their original side markers. Technically it is illegal to not have a reflector on the side. So if you ever get pulled over and need to put them back in to get the citation signed off you can go back to the originals without having to buy them again. Or if you ever have to have the warranty replacement you can still drive while waiting for them to show up.

It's all a matter of personal taste really. I do like that the Showstopper light is on the top edge, but I prefer the look of the ghosted or tinted versions of the AAC when they are off. Showstopper does not offer tinted or ghosted. $60 for Ghosting is not outrageous (where did you get this price? I see $79). You can do it yourself cheaper for sure. ($38)

AAC is $258-$268 painted(depending on color). +$79 for ghosting. = $347
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...rkersSale.aspx

Hit up Ivan @ Southwest Speed he does the ghosting as well, and sells the painted side markers for $278 with free shipping.
http://www.southwestspeed.net/produc...pt-Sidemarkers

Or talk with Pete with Showstopper. Both are great guys same with all of those at AAC.

It's really a personal decision. IMO Both are good quality. Yes the Showstopper are factory fit, but my AAC's fit just as well.
It's 60 more to ghost than tint. Also, showstopper uses the factory lens, so I can't see where the legality issue would come into play. The showstopper a are more legal, retaining the factory lens color, etc. not arguing.

I also didn't see the sale page, going to the AAC site and building them rips you off big time.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #53
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
It's 60 more to ghost than tint. Also, showstopper uses the factory lens, so I can't see where the legality issue would come into play. The showstopper a are more legal, retaining the factory lens color, etc. not arguing.

I also didn't see the sale page, going to the AAC site and building them rips you off big time.
Oh gotcha 60 more than tint. Yeah but you wouldn't tint and Ghost. price works out the same though.

Not arguing either just saying some people want to keep their originals and why, and to also clarify the price of the AAC side markers being $70 cheaper than you had posted. Also Show stopers probably wouldn't pass the legality test with as little reflector that actually shows.

It's a thread in the forums, it's like a sale for forum members.
What do you mean building them rips you off big time? Building what? Building your own side markers? I got lost sorry.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #54
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Oh gotcha 60 more than tint. Yeah but you wouldn't tint and Ghost. price works out the same though.

Not arguing either just saying some people want to keep their originals and why, and to also clarify the price of the AAC side markers being $70 cheaper than you had posted. Also Show stopers probably wouldn't pass the legality test with as little reflector that actually shows.

It's a thread in the forums, it's like a sale for forum members.
What do you mean building them rips you off big time? Building what? Building your own side markers? I got lost sorry.
I just meant going to the AAC site, and selecting the options, which is where I got my price from.

AAC (non-sale, just configuring on the site and checking out):
Markers: $200
Red Jewel (and im assuming CRT) is $140
Tint: $22.50
Shipping: $5?
Total: 367.50

Showstopper:
Markers: $350
Painted: Included, regardless of color, or tri coat
Tint: Stock housing, tint isnt as vital
Shipping: Free
Core: -$100
Total: $250

So you are paying $117 more if you are just a normal person, not on C5, and if you dont want to keep your stock ones.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #55
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
I just meant going to the AAC site, and selecting the options, which is where I got my price from.

AAC (non-sale, just configuring on the site and checking out):
Markers: $200
Red Jewel (and im assuming CRT) is $140
Tint: $22.50
Shipping: $5?
Total: 367.50

Showstopper:
Markers: $350
Painted: Included, regardless of color, or tri coat
Tint: Stock housing, tint isnt as vital
Shipping: Free
Core: -$100
Total: $250

So you are paying $117 more if you are just a normal person, not on C5, and if you dont want to keep your stock ones.
But we are all on Camaro 5 here (where the question was asked), so your point is invalid for this thread.
Apples and Oranges
I agree some Joe schmoe comes along sure he ends up paying more, the price you pay for not shopping around I guess.

If you get the AAC sidemarkers you can turn right around and sell your factory side markers and recoup that money still, so even then the price difference is minimal. Then, if you go with the half off paint your less with AAC by close to $80, with a lifetime warranty (with removing tint and getting half off paint).

You can't add tint to one and not to the other to try and convince someone it's a true apples to apples price comparison.

Which is why I originally said it really comes down to personal preference (on the style and look, not on price).
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #56
JB12ZL1

Drives: victory red Camaro ZL1
Received my showstoppers yesterday they look fabulous...can't wait to install them. Pete does great work.
JB12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote