Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-12-2008, 01:34 AM   #141
Pushing_Tin

Drives: 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
If you have the money to lose sure, but if the economy is in the crapper or gas prices rebound you might get left holding the bag. If you like the car and could keep it, it could be win-win.
Pushing_Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #142
nickspohn

Drives: 2002 Camaro
Well I'm getting one for myself anyways, but I'm waiting the additional year because I want the convertible. So if I'm stuck with this one I'm not going to be upset, but i highly doubt I won't be able to sell it.
nickspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #143
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I think you would have a harder time selling over MSRP than a dealer would. What kind of support can you offer the buyer after the sale? I know they can go to a dealer for support but they wouldn't get the same kind of treatment they would had they bought from that dealer. If I was in the position of having to pay a premium and choose between a private party on e-bay and a dealer? hmmm DEALER

maybe you could borrow a few mil and become a dealer so you could offer after sale things like oil changes, service discounts, gap insurance, extended warranty, disabillity and life insurance, car washes, customer birthday cards etc. etc. And still sell as new car rather than used.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #144
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspohn View Post
Hi I'm new. I own a 02 Camaro, but i thought about doing this and would like to know if you think it's an okay thing to do as far as financially wise.

I would order a Camaro from my dealer in the next few days, do what i need to do, make all the necessary payments, and then when I get the Camaro, i can list it on something like eBay or Autotrader... etc, but for at least $5-10K more than what i paid, since the demand come next year will be extremely high for the Camaro.

Good risk? Bad risk?
I hope you aren't as big of a Scumbag as your post makes you out to be.....you come to a Camaro entusiast site and ask whether or not it's a good idea to gouge some anxious Camaro buyer for 5-10K more than you paid for the re-release of an American legend after a 7 year absence from the marketplace.

I've never been accused of beating around the bush. While it's not quite as bad as depriving a bunch of kids of the latest and greatest toy at Christmas cause you scooped em all up and marketed them on E-bay to people willing and able to pay your premium markup, it's a pretty sad and pathetic attempt to make a quick buck at some poor Camaro Enthusiasts expense.

How do you feel about people who profiteer after a Hurricane or Earthquake by selling plywood and Electic Generators at huge mark-ups cause they can? If you think that is wrong, then how can you justify what you are planning to do.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #145
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
I hope you aren't as big of a Scumbag as your post makes you out to be.....you come to a Camaro entusiast site and ask whether or not it's a good idea to gouge some anxious Camaro buyer for 5-10K more than you paid for the re-release of an American legend after a 7 year absence from the marketplace.

I've never been accused of beating around the bush. While it's not quite as bad as depriving a bunch of kids of the latest and greatest toy at Christmas cause you scooped em all up and marketed them on E-bay to people willing and able to pay your premium markup, it's a pretty sad and pathetic attempt to make a quick buck at some poor Camaro Enthusiasts expense.

How do you feel about people who profiteer after a Hurricane or Earthquake by selling plywood and Electic Generators at huge mark-ups cause they can? If you think that is wrong, then how can you justify what you are planning to do.
Ouch. But I understand your emotions with his post. A bit of balls to come to a Camaro Enthusuast site and do that, I do agree. None of us here would pay over MSRP so maybe post in a general forum where people don't know anything?

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #146
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
It's a great idea. Support your local GM dealer. I hope you get stuck with it Scalping cars.....what will they think of next?

Stick to Elmo dolls.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #147
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Answer to the original poster: "do you think this is a good idea?" NO.
There are pages here on Camaro5 about price-gouging dealers and you aspire to do the same thing? Shame on you.

But here's a hypothetical for the rest of you:
You are one of the very first to get your brand new 2SS/RS and just days after you take delivery GM goes under (heaven forbid) and Camaro production stops. Due to the circumstances, you could keep your very rare Camaro or you could sell it on eBay for double what you paid - like you see a couple other people doing. But you know you would never be able to replace it. What do you do?

Capcom went out of the pinball business in late 1996. Before going under they had made only 12 prototypes of a fabulous game called Big Bang Bar (an extraterrestrial bar named after the big bang theory) with a design that resembled the cantina scene in the first Star Wars movie. Ten years later the company that had the rights to reproduce parts for the discontinued Capcom pinball machines made a small run of 183 more (limited to the existing quantity of unique custom printed circuit boards) Big Bang Bar games. They needed to presell the games and take hefty deposits in order to finance the small production run. It was a financial risk at $4500 per game to the buyers, and it took almost three years before production was finished and the games were delivered. There were unexpected costs along the way and the company making them reportedly lost thousands of dollars on the project. Once most of the 183 games were delivered, a few people who had paid $4500 each for their games recognized that many pinball enthusiasts who had missed out on the opportunity to order one three years earlier were now willing to pay $10K or more for a Big Bang Bar. Several owners who had ordered, prepaid and waited almost three years for their game decided to sell on eBay, even though they knew they would never be able to buy another. The first guy to do this sold his for over $12K and several more people got between $10K and $12K for their games. Many others kept their games.

Situations are similar. Would you immediately re-sell your $35K Camaro for $60K if you knew you could never ever get another?
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #148
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
First off welcome

Second, hope you brought your flame suit newbie...

Posts merged for obvious reasons…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #149
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
First off welcome

Second, hope you brought your flame suit newbie...

Posts merged for obvious reasons…
lol, i guess that answers his question...
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #150
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Dealer Name: Poughkeepsie Chevrolet/Cadillac
Dealer location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Dealer phone number: 845-298-1193
Dealer website: www.pokchev.com

$5,000 over MSRP.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #151
HeldonSS

Drives: GM all the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspohn View Post
Hi I'm new. I own a 02 Camaro, but i thought about doing this and would like to know if you think it's an okay thing to do as far as financially wise.

I would order a Camaro from my dealer in the next few days, do what i need to do, make all the necessary payments, and then when I get the Camaro, i can list it on something like eBay or Autotrader... etc, but for at least $5-10K more than what i paid, since the demand come next year will be extremely high for the Camaro.

Good risk? Bad risk?
Offer it with a blue paint job and you could sell it!!!
#15519-SOLD
2002 Camaro 35th ann. SS-6spd
1997 Camaro 30th ann. Z conv.
1968 Camaro RS/SS 396/375 HP Super Chevy R/u
1967 Camaro RS conv. 5.7 Vortec
1967 Chevy II Super Chevy Winner
1970 GMC Sierra Grande 1 Prior owner
1972 C-10 454, 2-4's Super Chevy Winner-SOLD
1990 454 SS 26,000 miles Super Chevy Winner
1991 GMC Syclone #170 of 2998
2003 Silverado SS-SOLD 2015 Chevy Suburban 2009 Silverado 2500 HD 2008 Corvette conv.
HeldonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #152
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
El Dorado Chevrolet
2300 N. Central Expressway
McKinney, TX 75070

Quoted just over MSRP .. depending on demand ... I'll go elsewhere ..

Crowley
Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #153
1GMFanatik
Da Blue Beast

Drives: 08 Chevy TBSS
Send a message via Yahoo to 1GMFanatik
Dealerships are gonna do what they can to get the most out of the buyer, ESPECIALLY if it's a first time buyer. Hell, I had a dealership try selling me a USED Chevy Cobalt for MSRP.. I told them I wouldn't pay MSRP for a NEW car let alone one that is used.

NEVER take the first offer, and be willing to walk. If they want the sale, they'll call. I know of a couple dealerships I can hit up back in Jerzey..

STAY AWAY FROM

Chevy 73 in Berlin NJ...BAAAADDDDD Dealership
1GMFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #154
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
JERRY'S CHEVROLET AND OLDSMOBILE, INC.
18 FORT EVANS RD NE
LEESBURG , VA 20176

$5000.00 Over MSRP
fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote