Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #197
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Or if you can solder you can replace the LED's in side the speedo and tach.
+1

A member just posted a DIY on the LED swap too. Doesn't look *too* hard, but I'm not a soldering expert so could be challenging for someone like me.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #198
mrbrans5

Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrans5 View Post
More than that though, I'd love to have the red halos around my speedo and tach that everyone else has. Mine are blue. I know what your thinking... why do I have blue halos around my gauges when have the orange interior. Turns out, because I have a canadian car, they don't make a cluster with the orange halos for Canadian cars. Looks dumb if you ask me.

I wonder if I can just buy a US cluster with the orange halos and plug it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Or if you can solder you can replace the LED's in side the speedo and tach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
+1

A member just posted a DIY on the LED swap too. Doesn't look *too* hard, but I'm not a soldering expert so could be challenging for someone like me.
Thanks stieger...

We better take this disscusion over to that thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162226

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #199
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
mrbrands5, where did you get your tubing to hold the LED and Light Pipe? What size is it and does the LED fit snug in the tubing or is it very loose. The reason I ask is the tubing I am using now is very loose and does not hold the LED snug. So anytime I make adjustments the tubing falls off the LED and its a pain to get everything lined up again.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #200
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
I used 1/8" clear fish tank airline tubing. The LED and light pipe fit very snug.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #201
mrbrans5

Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
mrbrands5, where did you get your tubing to hold the LED and Light Pipe? What size is it and does the LED fit snug in the tubing or is it very loose. The reason I ask is the tubing I am using now is very loose and does not hold the LED snug. So anytime I make adjustments the tubing falls off the LED and its a pain to get everything lined up again.
My clear tubbing fits the light pipe and the LED bulb very tight. Sorry I'm not sure of the size. I think I bought it at a store here in Canada called "Princess Auto" but I'm sure any hardware store carries it.

A very good tip from Gene Culley:

I’ll give you some words of caution. When you turn the light tube to point the reflective strip in another direction, etc., hold the vinyl tubing with your finger and clinch tight. If you don’t, when you twist the light tube, since the vinyl tubing is connected to the LED, it will eventually break off the LED. I broke two LED’s doing this. Again, make sure you hold the vinyl tubing from twisting while you’re twisting the light pipe.

I can tell you there is NO WAY to turn the light pipe in my clear tubbing. I had to remove the pipe every time I wanted to turn it a bit. It's that tight!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #202
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 ZL1
Now that I have the wiring harness & light tubes from Ofer, and the LED's from GM, I have a question... is the ABL wiring harness connector located behind the speedometer in a 2011?

I want to be sure that my ABL mod dims with the ABL in the doors.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #203
jdec141c

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert 2SS/RS 6M Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Now that I have the wiring harness & light tubes from Ofer, and the LED's from GM, I have a question... is the ABL wiring harness connector located behind the speedometer in a 2011?

I want to be sure that my ABL mod dims with the ABL in the doors.
the connector is behind the 4 gauge center console. It dims but only goes as low as the radio controls. it won't completely dim like the door panels or instrument cluster rings.
jdec141c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #204
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Hmm... so how do I fix this? I was under the impression that it would dim the same way the door lighting would.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #205
jdec141c

Quote:
Hmm... so how do I fix this? I was under the impression that it would dim the same way the door lighting would.
It does dim. Just not completely. Go out to your car and dim the doors all the way. Your radio halos will still be visible but very dim. This is how the dash will be.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #206
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdec141c View Post
It does dim. Just not completely. Go out to your car and dim the doors all the way. Your radio halos will still be visible but very dim. This is how the dash will be.
Hmm.. Is it distracting at all while driving at night? I like being able to turn off the doors, but I'm so used to them now that I don't even notice the glow while driving.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #207
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Hmm.. Is it distracting at all while driving at night? I like being able to turn off the doors, but I'm so used to them now that I don't even notice the glow while driving.
I was worried about the same thing when I was thinking of doing this mod. Honestly though, it just blends in with the rest of the ABL. Not distracting at all.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #208
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I was worried about the same thing when I was thinking of doing this mod. Honestly though, it just blends in with the rest of the ABL. Not distracting at all.
Thanks; that's reassuring.... With that, I'll begin the installation process on Friday.. hopefully it won't take too long.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #209
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
part list quick reference?

Hey guys, I've been watching his thread for a loooong time, I'm ready to pull the trigger, just need to know what parts and where to get them from- I know its covered in several of the 1,000 posts in here, but its taking forever searching from my phone...

I have a 2011 2SS, I want to complete the dash (non drill) and "fix/complete" the doors

If someone can list the resources for me, id greatly appreciate it
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #210
jdec141c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Hey guys, I've been watching his thread for a loooong time, I'm ready to pull the trigger, just need to know what parts and where to get them from- I know its covered in several of the 1,000 posts in here, but its taking forever searching from my phone...

I have a 2011 2SS, I want to complete the dash (non drill) and "fix/complete" the doors

If someone can list the resources for me, id greatly appreciate it
Ofer can sell you everything you need. Send him a pm 2SSRS