Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #2199
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I would love to have something like an NFL Wide Receiver's body, not a linebacker but an athletic looking physique.

The beefcake reference was a stretch lol.

But I'm confused though on what to do, I have a rather high amount of bodyfat and I'm also pretty skinny and lightweight.

I'd prefer to be around 10% bodyfat or so at roughly 175-180 pounds, but yeah I definitely see what you're saying. Overall I'd love to be heavier with a lower bodyfat percentage.
easy, up the cardio and the protein. Ain't no wide receiver 'killing it' in the gym. They do workout with free weights, but they are not looking to get bulky or 'big'. Their strength is very limited. So cardio will give you some abs if that is your goal.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #2200
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
easy, up the cardio and the protein. Ain't no wide receiver 'killing it' in the gym. They do workout with free weights, but they are not looking to get bulky or 'big'. Their strength is very limited. So cardio will give you some abs if that is your goal.
Well I definitely don't wanna look like I came outta Auschwitz or something. Abs would be nice, but I'd prefer just to drop the bodyfat.

I want to lose fat, build muscle. I suppose for now I'll up the cardio, drop some of the bodyfat and weight. Then build it back up slowly with more calories and protein.

I read online, losing a pound of week until I meet goal, then gaining .5 pound a week until I meet goal is a good pace.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #2201
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Well I definitely don't wanna look like I came outta Auschwitz or something. Abs would be nice, but I'd prefer just to drop the bodyfat.

I want to lose fat, build muscle. I suppose for now I'll up the cardio, drop some of the bodyfat and weight. Then build it back up slowly with more calories and protein.

I read online, losing a pound of week until I meet goal, then gaining .5 pound a week until I meet goal is a good pace.
that is a great theory, but how do you measure losing a pound of fat, and gaining .5 lb of muscle? You could gain 1 lb of muscle and not lose any fat? Measurements will tell you more than a scale ever will. So don't get stuck with relying on scales.

Just changing your diet can lose fat and gain muscle along with cardio and not lifting one weight.

what is your routine now in the gym?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #2202
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
that is a great theory, but how do you measure losing a pound of fat, and gaining .5 lb of muscle? You could gain 1 lb of muscle and not lose any fat? Measurements will tell you more than a scale ever will. So don't get stuck with relying on scales.

I just kinda listened to this and figured it was a great idea. But I was a little confused because it didn't necessarily cover if I should lose weight first though. Skinny fat sux.

Quote:
Just changing your diet can lose fat and gain muscle along with cardio and not lifting one weight.

what is your routine now in the gym?
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/modern-physique-day-1

I'm following this right here. I have bodybuilding's bodyspace app that incorporates that routine into my phone so I just follow it at the gym.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #2203
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:

I just kinda listened to this and figured it was a great idea. But I was a little confused because it didn't necessarily cover if I should lose weight first though. Skinny fat sux.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/modern-physique-day-1

I'm following this right here. I have bodybuilding's bodyspace app that incorporates that routine into my phone so I just follow it at the gym.
based on what you are trying to do, that looks okay. They Don't really have any heavy, main lifts in that routine, but I'm more into power and strength lifting. They do DB raises wrong, and would never ever do any type of skillcrushers. With you wanting to burn that fat off, the cardio, and supersets will help with that.

I'm not trying to lose weight, and I'm having to eat about 5k calories a day. That is maintenance.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #2204
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
based on what you are trying to do, that looks okay. They Don't really have any heavy, main lifts in that routine, but I'm more into power and strength lifting. They do DB raises wrong, and would never ever do any type of skillcrushers. With you wanting to burn that fat off, the cardio, and supersets will help with that.

I'm not trying to lose weight, and I'm having to eat about 5k calories a day. That is maintenance.
I read through it and didn't think much of it either.

Hey....what's wrong with skullcrushers? I do them although I do them with an Olympic bar and start at 135 😊

I also finish the movement a little different. Best ever was 275 x 3 though that was many years ago. I stop around 225 now. They are good for helping the lockout of the bench if you finish in the same place you finish locking out your bench.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #2205
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Damn, can't believe I missed this thread. Thanks mydivorcegift!
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #2206
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Anyone else on here local (Spring tx)? I ask bc there are 3 5g ss's, another 6gss, and 1 5g V6 at my gym (la fitness). I hit the gym 6 days a week, killed it on bi's, tri's, and back earlier. Legs tomorrow (ohh joy)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #2207
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
I would love to have something like an NFL Wide Receiver's body, not a linebacker but an athletic looking physique.

The beefcake reference was a stretch lol.

But I'm confused though on what to do, I have a rather high amount of bodyfat and I'm also pretty skinny and lightweight.

I'd prefer to be around 10% bodyfat or so at roughly 175-180 pounds, but yeah I definitely see what you're saying. Overall I'd love to be heavier with a lower bodyfat percentage.
This is exactly where I am right now tbh. I'm 5'9, 172, with 10.9% bf. I need to drop to 8.5 or so as my abs are not quite as defined as they were before my buling cycle.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #2208
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
I read through it and didn't think much of it either.

Hey....what's wrong with skullcrushers? I do them although I do them with an Olympic bar and start at 135 ��

I also finish the movement a little different. Best ever was 275 x 3 though that was many years ago. I stop around 225 now. They are good for helping the lockout of the bench if you finish in the same place you finish locking out your bench.
for the muscles you are working, there are much better exercises that put a whole lot less pressure on the elbows. For example, Narrow grip BB Bench is many times better with reps in the 15-20 range for building strength and size, and no extra strain/pressure on the elbow/wrist.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #2209
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
for the muscles you are working, there are much better exercises that put a whole lot less pressure on the elbows. For example, Narrow grip BB Bench is many times better with reps in the 15-20 range for building strength and size, and no extra strain/pressure on the elbow/wrist.
With all due respect sir (because yes you are a big, strong guy who has obviously put in the work)...

I have to disagree.....and I think most in the PL'ing world would too (can't speak for the BB world). I don't think 15-20 reps of anything builds "strength"....it may very well build size....I wouldn't know..

I think you would most likely agree with me, most people's weak bench, or failed bench attempts come from lack of tricep strength. That's why I highlighted the above.

Most have no idea how strong the triceps can be especially the 3rd head of the tricep (which no one really trains yet it's the head most responsible for performance). And most just seem to be scared to use any weight (not saying you should go all out to start). Just look at the guy in the video doing skullcrushers (I hate that term...I refer to them as tricep extensions) with like 25lbs.

It's no wonder people have weak benches, or baseball players have Tommy John surgery left and right. They don't train that 3rd head and are scared to put "stress" on it in the weight room.

The only exercises that really train and isolate this area are rolling extensions either with a barbell or dumbbells or the JM Press.

A great video here from Mark Bell showing JM presses and straight bar extensions...

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #2210
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Hi all. I've been in and out of the gym myself, after my shoulder surgery still not 100% but I'm getting there.

Higher reps is kind of a mixed bag when it comes to strength gains, just like loosing fat and gaining muscle. You will get stronger with higher reps/lighter weight to a certain point and certain muscles more so than others. Before my surgery, when I was at my biggest and strongest I found that a hybrid program was most productive. I was doing a 4 day split, 1 day upper, 1 day lower for strength then the same for hypertrophy. I also think that beginners will show strength gains with higher reps but after a certain point the gains diminish. You need more weight to get stronger because of adaptation.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #2211
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
With all due respect sir (because yes you are a big, strong guy who has obviously put in the work)...

I have to disagree.....and I think most in the PL'ing world would too (can't speak for the BB world). I don't think 15-20 reps of anything builds "strength"....it may very well build size....I wouldn't know..

I think you would most likely agree with me, most people's weak bench, or failed bench attempts come from lack of tricep strength. That's why I highlighted the above.

Most have no idea how strong the triceps can be especially the 3rd head of the tricep (which no one really trains yet it's the head most responsible for performance). And most just seem to be scared to use any weight (not saying you should go all out to start). Just look at the guy in the video doing skullcrushers (I hate that term...I refer to them as tricep extensions) with like 25lbs.

It's no wonder people have weak benches, or baseball players have Tommy John surgery left and right. They don't train that 3rd head and are scared to put "stress" on it in the weight room.

The only exercises that really train and isolate this area are rolling extensions either with a barbell or dumbbells or the JM Press.

Oh nooooooooooo. Well yes. I am NOT going to disagree with you, as I left out that important information "in general". But my response was more toward an exercise that will put less stress on the elbow.

So to clarify, only way to get stronger, is to keep lifting heavier weight. PL's lift heavy sh$t. No doubt about it, and it's never enough, so we keep lifting more and more and pushing our bodies to the max. So yes, you are correct, and I know very well that you know your way around the gym, like myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Hi all. I've been in and out of the gym myself, after my shoulder surgery still not 100% but I'm getting there.

Higher reps is kind of a mixed bag when it comes to strength gains, just like loosing fat and gaining muscle. You will get stronger with higher reps/lighter weight to a certain point and certain muscles more so than others. Before my surgery, when I was at my biggest and strongest I found that a hybrid program was most productive. I was doing a 4 day split, 1 day upper, 1 day lower for strength then the same for hypertrophy. I also think that beginners will show strength gains with higher reps but after a certain point the gains diminish. You need more weight to get stronger because of adaptation.
In my training, I do incorporate a mix bad of reps and power. But in the end, I am training these guys for a PL event. My one youngest guy just entered the 400 lb bench club and it was not just by lifting high reps. It was going heavy and pushing hard with many different exercises. After the major lifts, and we are working smaller muscle groups, we will work a range that he can control, the can get the work in, and can push to the max. Sometimes it maybe 225 lb narrow grip for 15 reps. Sometimes it may be 365 for 4 reps, till it drops to 2 reps, and we move onto another exercise.

I have much respect for both of you and your experiences in lifting.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #2212
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I am by no means an expert but seem to do ok with this. I typically work in the 5-6r ep range. When I can do 5-6 reps with a given weight I add more weight, when I can do 5-6 reps with the increased weight, I add more. Same thing for hypertrophy. I'll do10-12 reps with a given weight, when I can do it, I add more weight. My theory is if you always lift 100 lbs, you will only lift 100 lbs. My goal is to always add more weight, I must admit, at 62 yrs old it's not getting easier. lol
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote