Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Audio / Visual / Electronics/ Gauges / Nav

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 ZL1
Mine arrived today; ordered from Phastek on Friday... nice!!

I'll be using it with the Kenwood DDX9903S (it should arrive by Wednesday.)
Old 09-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #16
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Been waiting for something like this for a long time. Now just debating ordering it now or wait until a few members have tried it out.

Also interested in knowing the dimensions for the radio opening. Hopefully we can use radios other than the major manufacturers. Android radios are getting more popular and quality is getting better. Unfortunately they are slightly wider than a standard dual DIN by a few millimeters. I recently installed one in my Suburban and it's way nicer than any Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine I've owned or used.
A buddy of mine and I happened to order this at the same time, and the same head unit.... he's an iPhone user and I've got an Android, so we'll post a ton of pics and info as soon as we get them installed. (should have both head units, front/rear cameras etc. by Friday)
Old 09-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #17
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Following

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #18
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
There are a couple of threads on this subject and lets hope they get combined.
I installed mine today and have a couple of observations. Since this is about the install kit I will save the comments regarding the head unit until later.
Everything worked after the install except the phone mic. I can hear people talk over the speaker system but they cannot hear me. Working on that.
All the remote controls work except the phone dialing button on the steering wheel. If I long press the phone button the OnStar comes up but I cannot get the phone to come up with a short press. These controls are supposed to be the same as stock in the base program.
There is very little room to store the PAC control unit unless you install very long wires and put it into the glove box. I did not do this so it makes it very hard to get to the unit to use the program button. In fact you need to remove everything to do this. There is a small shelf on top of the head unit and that is where I stored the PAC unit. I should note that I have the gauges so storing the PAC control module there is impossible. Speaking of the gauges the new PAC bezel is a little taller than stock and getting the gauges back in is a puzzle.
The sound is much better than the stock GM unit, in fact I would rate it twice as good.
I like this unit and the stock look is a plus. Wiring connections were easy because PAC gives you all the harnesses you need to make the connections. Soldering is required to make the speaker connections, but this was no problem. Pictures will follow tomorrow.
I think this is a very good alternative to the other systems available to us and was well thought out by the manufacturer. Tomorrow I will work on the couple of problems I have but I am sure they can be ironed out.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #19
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m View Post
Same question as above, do these have any bugs like the Schosche and Metra kits? I have a 2015 and I keep hearing that the Schosche doesn't work for the 15. I have been debating on what to get for quite some time.

Also the stereo looks like it sits back kind of far. Is the left side of the screen blocked at all from the frame while in the drivers seat?
There are no bugs like the others and this kit is a magnitude or three above anything else on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1 View Post
Look forward to seeing some reviews on this...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466017

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzzeler View Post
Id be interested right now to purchase , if there was a price break in some way
You are certainly welcome to pay the $400+ MSRP, but market for Camaro dash kits are $299 and always have been. We're luckier than most, many vehicles are over $1,000 and $299 is a godsend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
There are a couple of threads on this subject and lets hope they get combined.

I installed mine today and have a couple of observations. Since this is about the install kit I will save the comments regarding the head unit until later.
There is an extensive thread reviewing all related questions in the audio forum here

Phastek is a phenomenal vendor, but they are in the business of sales, not providing hours of tech support over the phone for an install. Highly recommend reserving technical help questions to the audio forum gurus at the link provided (where we've been discussing this product since it's release on day 1) and the PAC technical line.

Quote:
Everything worked after the install except the phone mic. I can hear people talk over the speaker system but they cannot hear me. Working on that.
All the remote controls work except the phone dialing button on the steering wheel. If I long press the phone button the OnStar comes up but I cannot get the phone to come up with a short press. These controls are supposed to be the same as stock in the base program.
There is very little room to store the PAC control unit unless you install very long wires and put it into the glove box. I did not do this so it makes it very hard to get to the unit to use the program button. In fact you need to remove everything to do this. There is a small shelf on top of the head unit and that is where I stored the PAC unit. I should note that I have the gauges so storing the PAC control module there is impossible. Speaking of the gauges the new PAC bezel is a little taller than stock and getting the gauges back in is a puzzle.

I like this unit and the stock look is a plus. Wiring connections were easy because PAC gives you all the harnesses you need to make the connections. Soldering is required to make the speaker connections, but this was no problem. Pictures will follow tomorrow.
I think this is a very good alternative to the other systems available to us and was well thought out by the manufacturer. Tomorrow I will work on the couple of problems I have but I am sure they can be ironed out.
This kit was developed for someone experienced in car audio. From wire management to disconnecting crucial OEM parts. While the technical instructions are intimidating even to those of us with those skills, I am sure patience and trial and error will get others through the process fine. The PAC R&D techs have requested that if you have any problems with the unit to please reach out to them as the product passed extensive internal testing before coming to market. As you mentioned, double check wiring and give them a call if you still have any issues as the modules should be working.

Quote:
The sound is much better than the stock GM unit, in fact I would rate it twice as good.
This unit has no sound to speak of, it's just a kit. Perhaps that was the reference. The mylink/stock radio system has a myriad of audio "issues", whats the reference I heard the other day.... comparing an aftermarket stereo system to OEM would be like comparing a Bentley to a Prius. The primary problem with the stock OEM is lack of power, next is the fact there is a factory tune hard coded in the system which is horrible.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
opossum

Drives: 2013
Hallo, FNG,

please, have You a photo of the Interface. I want to bye a connectorcable for flashing firmware and car settings. Think, one end is a USB-connector, but i can't see, what connector is at the other side of this cable. I will install the cable im my car, so i can change car-settings and new firmware via laptop.

And, i'm sorry, have another question: Have you connected the usb-connector in the middle console and does it work?

Your TPMS doesn't fail anytime?

I have in my HUD the informations about usb, when it plays music. I can see in the HUD titel and so one. Are the informations after install of the new unit in the HUD or will I loose this informations?

Sorry for so many questions.

Best regards from Germany
Egbert
Chevrolet Camaro - V8 - MT - 2013 - European Version - Inferno Orange/ Inferno orange - ACC Sidemarker ghosted - Dash Kit PAC RPK5-GM4101 with DNX8170DABS - Amp KAC-8406 - Sub Pioneer TS-WX110A - Rear- and Front-Camera - ACC Mail Slot Scanner RGB - Pedders Sportsryder - painted parts in engine compartment - black powder coated original rims - H & R wheel plates 20mm front and rear axle - 1 LE steering wheel - MGW Short shifter replacement - aluminum door Pins - ACS T4 Splitter - us-mirrors - ZL1 side rockers - High Wing Spoiler
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum View Post
Hallo, FNG,

please, have You a photo of the Interface. I want to bye a connector cable for flashing firmware and car settings. Think, one end is a USB-connector, but i can't see, what connector is at the other side of this cable. I will install the cable im my car, so i can change car-settings and new firmware via laptop.

And, i'm sorry, have another question: Have you connected the usb-connector in the middle console and does it work?

I have in my HUD the informations about usb, when it plays music. I can see in the HUD titel and so one. Are the informations after install of the new unit in the HUD or will I loose this informations?

Egbert
This audio dash kit is unable to "flash the Camaro CPU", it is only meant to replace the OEM radio and upgrade/retain the factory look while retaining all other vehicle control functions associated with the radio, HVAC and door locks.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum View Post
Hallo, FNG,

please, have You a photo of the Interface. I want to bye a connectorcable for flashing firmware and car settings. Think, one end is a USB-connector, but i can't see, what connector is at the other side of this cable. I will install the cable im my car, so i can change car-settings and new firmware via laptop.

Egbert
There is a small USB port on the rear of the kit, but I think it's only used to update the HV/AC controls and the small display on the top front of the kit... it's also used to change factory settings, like how many doors lock/unlock when you use keyless entry. (Small things that were once set via the factory radio)

I haven't checked the DIC since I finished the install to see if my TPMS are working properly, yet. I'll do that this morning.

The kit came with an adapter for the USB port and AUX port... they connect directly to my Kenwood 9903S and work fine, however, no artist info, track names, radio station information appear in the heads up display, like the factory radio used to do.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
....however, no artist info, track names, radio station information appear in the heads up display, like the factory radio used to do.
This information is lost no matter what installation kit or aftermarket radio is installed.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
This information is lost no matter what installation kit or aftermarket radio is installed.
Yes, I know... until someone figures out how to communicate with the factory system, radio info will never be sent back to the HUD...... I can deal with that, because it looks so good.

I'll be contacting PAC-Audio tomorrow about the missing CMX Chime Module, non functional mini-display and the inability to re-program the module.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #25
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Kits are back in-stock and ready to rock!!

All will have chime module!!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #26
kenjan450

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
New Dash Kit

[QUOTE=FNG;9329193]Yes, I know... until someone figures out how to communicate with the factory system, radio info will never be sent back to the HUD...... I can deal with that, because it looks so good.

I have been wanting to put a touch screen in my Camaro but I did not like the Schosche or Metra Kit. They look like something from 1980.

This kit looks better however it still stands out with the grey color. You achieved the look I am looking for by painting it black. It blends in with the radio and dash so much better. Can you share some information about who did it and what the cost was? I live in Jacksonville and I will come down there to have them do it.

Thank you
KenJan
kenjan450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #27
Motarded421

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
So... about that button to make a call on the steering wheel.... Any chance on getting that working? That is all thats holding me back from buying... Heck, if it would just activate Siri that would be awesome
Motarded421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #28
kdwright5407

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 RS
How does factory XM radio work with this setup? I just got a new to me Camaro recently (first sports car ever) and am thinking about something like this (especially if the call button were to work), but I've never messed with radios that had XM and all that. Sorry for the Newb question.
kdwright5407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash kit, head unit, pac audio, phastek, rpk5-gm4101