Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
true, but still the airstrip was an insurance nightmare for the property owner.... so we were shut down...

and should have been... as careful as we were, we still could have done thousands of dollars in damage out side of any law suits...
I was under the impression you guys had the owner's permission. Still, it's better than being on public roads even without their permission. At least that way everyone who could get injured or property damaged is a willing participant.

I grew up on Woodward Ave and when I was 17 and into street racing I was watching a ws6 race a vr4 3kgt, both pretty worked. Long story short, the ws6 swung the tail out and rolled/flipped into a parking lot, where quite a few people were standing, at what had to be near 100mph. I'm still shocked to this day that everyone got out of the way in time and neither driver nor passenger died. I heard someone's leg was broken in the parking lot, but I'm unsure of the details.

Everyone thinks, "it's not going to happen to me" well, keep in mind it's rarely the driver that ends up injured or dead, it's an innocent passenger or just someone driving home to see their family. Is it really worth the risk? If it were only one's own life at risk I'd say go for it, do what you please, but when you are putting other people in danger it's not cool. Just take it to the track folks.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
I'm gonna try and give a reasonable response.

I've also been involved in a local club that raced at an abandoned airstrip and we kept a tight leash on guys acting stupid... So I think I do know what you are getting at...

And I'm not dumb enough to say that we don't all enjoy a little high speed fun every now and then, street racing or not.

But, on the whole illegal street racing is never a good thing and from a publicity perspective, we have a very good relationship with GM and vendors who take the profession of racing and public safety extremely serious. And so even though we all drive above the speed limit from time, The dangers of all street racing are just too high and the irresponsibility of putting other people in danger is not something we are willing to endorse.

We are an enthusiast site, If you want to go fast, keep it to yourself or take it to the track.

This is a great response and great post overall.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I think you should be able to discuss it with minimal details, no locations, just how much you beat the person by or lost by and what type of race, roll/dig.

Sure street racing is dumb, but all you guys saying take it to the track, you know youve messed around with someone on the street at least once at some point.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
And I'm not dumb enough to say that we don't all enjoy a little high speed fun every now and then, street racing or not.
We are an enthusiast site, If you want to go fast, keep it to yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Sure street racing is dumb, but all you guys saying take it to the track, you know youve messed around with someone on the street at least once at some point.
Well, yeah, but GTAHVIT explains that pretty well. They have a lot of GM connections and support here and they must maintain that support. Allowing dangerous street racing stories on the site could jeopardize that.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtech View Post
Just curious.

I raced for many a night on the streets. Done right, it's not a problem. We also used to police our own and eliminate the problems.
If you can read this from where you re now make your self a favor and do not let anyone know who you are , dang what a dumb moment !!!
:p addle:
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Well, yeah, but GTAHVIT explains that pretty well. They have a lot of GM connections and support here and they must maintain that support. Allowing dangerous street racing stories on the site could jeopardize that.
Would they really lose support if they allowed a few stories in this section and explicitly stated they condone such behavior?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Would they really lose support if they allowed a few stories in this section and explicitly stated they don't condone such behavior?
added a very key word for ya.

I don't know, but I have a feeling they have a certain standard that is expected.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #22
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
I think you should be able to discuss it with minimal details, no locations, just how much you beat the person by or lost by and what type of race, roll/dig.

read my post again... I admit that very thing. but this is not the place to discuss it.

And we are not going to change it.

are we hypocrites? yeah probably... would I love to come in here and post after every time I have some over the speed limit fun?

but again... Not the place for it.. There are plenty of places on the web where you can brag about your adventures.

But no matter what, street racing is done so in an uncontrolled environment where those who are in the area don't know what is going on in their midst...

And so we do not, as a forum, support it nor will we glorify it.

Street racing, speeding, reckless driving, exhibition of speed, whatever you want to call it... whether it is on a country road or on the freeway with no traffic, it is illegal. we are all big boys and girls and are perfectly able to take responsibility for our own actions... But street racing is used by so many law makers as an excuse to regulate performance... Just ask CA... that we are going to do what we can to improve the automotive enthusiast's reputation.

we see it as Vital to the life of our passion.

FWIW.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Would they really lose support if they allowed a few stories in this section and explicitly stated they condone such behavior?
I can unequivocally guarantee that GM will almost immediately pull all licensing and support for the Fest and this forum the nanosecond we allow street racing to be discussed here.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #24
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
There are no speed limits in Saudi Arabia, as well as many parts of Mexico, and of course... the Autobahn. There are numerous street racing videos of the most formererly described area, and that is completely legal there. Vast open stretches of desert and open staight highways spanning thousands of miles really gives no danger to street racing there, as long as there is little to no traffic and professional drivers(watch some of the drifiting videos of Camry's and Accord's in Saudi Arabia for reference).
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
There are no speed limits in Saudi Arabia, as well as many parts of Mexico, and of course... the Autobahn. There are numerous street racing videos of the most formererly described area, and that is completely legal there. Vast open stretches of desert and open staight highways spanning thousands of miles really gives no danger to street racing there, as long as there is little to no traffic and professional drivers(watch some of the drifiting videos of Camry's and Accord's in Saudi Arabia for reference).
Still not legal here.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I figure I'll give this one a shot, too.

One guy—let's call him CrazyFastCamaro—posts about street racing. CrazyFastCamaro drives only on airstrips with NHRA-required safety equipment in a club that legally rents the strip and pays for insurance. CrazyFastCamaro beats RicerMcTypeR and posts a video. The video shows a bunch of cars lined up on the side of the road cheering. The video does not show that CrazyFastCamaro and RicerMcTypeR both have all of the appropriate equipment and insurance. Who would show that on a video? That would make the video long and less awesome.

Another guy—let's call him StreetRacer—goes to a notorious street where all the tuners in town line up and drag. He saw CrazyFastCamaro online and thought that his car was safe enough to race. After all, he upgraded his brakes, suspension, and harness to match what he thought would make his car safe enough. His video shows a bunch of cars lined up on the side of the road cheering, just like the last video. StreetRacer breaks the law and causes no casualties. Just like his friend CrazyFastCamaro, he drives better than AverageJoe, so he's safe. Eventually, StreetRacer gets ticketed. He complains about cops being dicks.

Finally, AverageJoe sees the videos. He thinks he drives really well, but he's an idiot. Because AverageJoe is an idiot, he posts a video drag racing from one stoplight to the next. He then goes on the forum and complains about cops being dicks. After that, he does it again and wrecks his car. He goes to jail for manslaughter, destroys a family, and lives in regret forever. Also, the forum gets sued in a civil court for tolerating street racing videos by the family of the deceased and is ordered to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages. All of the forum administrators and moderators responsible are subpoenaed. Since the forum does not turn a worthwhile profit, the forum goes under and nearly a dozen people are forced into bankruptcy, ruining their credit histories for up to 10 years.

This is where moderators could have saved the day. By not allowing AverageJoe to see CrazyFastCamaro's video, people who died would still be alive. Also, cops won't feel unwelcome on the boards because there aren't people posting about how they suck.

Of course, AverageJoe might have gone to another forum. That forum won't be Camaro5. We don't want to see anyone die that doesn't have to die. Of course, you all think you're great drivers. Maybe you are; maybe you aren't. It's not my job to decide whether you can drive. AverageJoe thought he could drive. Maybe you're a pro and maybe you're average. Either way, you can't post your videos here.

Does this story help?
warn 145:159 ban
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #27
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I figure I'll give this one a shot, too.

One guy—let's call him CrazyFastCamaro—posts about street racing. CrazyFastCamaro drives only on airstrips with NHRA-required safety equipment in a club that legally rents the strip and pays for insurance. CrazyFastCamaro beats RicerMcTypeR and posts a video. The video shows a bunch of cars lined up on the side of the road cheering. The video does not show that CrazyFastCamaro and RicerMcTypeR both have all of the appropriate equipment and insurance. Who would show that on a video? That would make the video long and less awesome.

Another guy—let's call him StreetRacer—goes to a notorious street where all the tuners in town line up and drag. He saw CrazyFastCamaro online and thought that his car was safe enough to race. After all, he upgraded his brakes, suspension, and harness to match what he thought would make his car safe enough. His video shows a bunch of cars lined up on the side of the road cheering, just like the last video. StreetRacer breaks the law and causes no casualties. Just like his friend CrazyFastCamaro, he drives better than AverageJoe, so he's safe. Eventually, StreetRacer gets ticketed. He complains about cops being dicks.

Finally, AverageJoe sees the videos. He thinks he drives really well, but he's an idiot. Because AverageJoe is an idiot, he posts a video drag racing from one stoplight to the next. He then goes on the forum and complains about cops being dicks. After that, he does it again and wrecks his car. He goes to jail for manslaughter, destroys a family, and lives in regret forever. Also, the forum gets sued in a civil court for tolerating street racing videos by the family of the deceased and is ordered to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages. All of the forum administrators and moderators responsible are subpoenaed. Since the forum does not turn a worthwhile profit, the forum goes under and nearly a dozen people are forced into bankruptcy, ruining their credit histories for up to 10 years.

This is where moderators could have saved the day. By not allowing AverageJoe to see CrazyFastCamaro's video, people who died would still be alive. Also, cops won't feel unwelcome on the boards because there aren't people posting about how they suck.

Of course, AverageJoe might have gone to another forum. That forum won't be Camaro5. We don't want to see anyone die that doesn't have to die. Of course, you all think you're great drivers. Maybe you are; maybe you aren't. It's not my job to decide whether you can drive. AverageJoe thought he could drive. Maybe you're a pro and maybe you're average. Either way, you can't post your videos here.

Does this story help?
very eloquent.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
There are things we don't talk about with people outside of the immediate family. There are things we don't talk about outside our "friend circle". And there are even some things that never leave our mushy brains...

Regardless of whether or not it's a common occurrence...it's illegal, irresponsible, and because we're a public forum open for ALL the world to see, we don't allow discussion. It looks bad on the site to have people talking about the latest illegal thing they've done with their Camaros. And we don't want to appear to promote or support the activity: because we don't.

between this and Gtahvit's to-the-point comments earlier....can't really think of a simpler way to explain it.

Closed Thread