Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
I know how, started on 1980 Chevy Scottsdale manual haha that trans was f****d before I even touched it. Most of my vehicles have been manual, starting to prefer autos on these faster type rides though. My last ride was a 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT and I realized there was no way I could shift faster than today's autos.
I have a project Ranger that's manual with Hurst short throw, might get a v8 swap...so I can still have fun if I want to row the gears
Old 11-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #16
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Went from riding motorcycles to learning how to drive in manuals; have owned several since.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #17
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
Wife asked if I was tired of shifting gears in everyday driving, traffic etc , I don't have any problem with it and love it. She brought up how I didn't know how to drive a manual transmission until she taught me, which is true. In my defense, we were 16 years old at the time, and now both 27.

Just curious to see if there are anyone still, these days, that can drive a manual car?

Or do you know how, but just prefer an automatic instead?
auto everytime for me...they are faster and way better to drive..i test drove an s550 mustang manual before i bought my s550 auto.
i hated the clutch and gearbox fee.
same with the camaro..i love paddle shifts and easyness of a modern auto.
i doubt i'll ever own a manual muscle car..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #18
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I learned to drive a manual last year on one of my buddies cars. Since then, auto has never been as fun to me. This past August at the ripe old age of 22, I decided to buy my first ever manual car, being my 2010 2SS RS. I thought daily driving it would be a pain the butt, however I love it and I dont think I'll ever be able to own a sports car thats an auto. Time may change that as it has with many of older people. But since having my Camaro, my girlfriend actually wanted a Cobalt SS which is supercharged and only comes in manual, so she bought it and I taught her how to drive it. That way she's more BA not mention, when we take her car I get to look at her like
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I have been driving manuals since I was 16...but now that I drive a auto Camaro I have been told by a few here that I dont have driving skill.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #20
drew peacock
Banned

all the top cars in the world today are autos...can u imagine a veyron with a clutch lol.
the new 8 speed auto camaro must be amazing.
20 years from now manual boxes will be confined to the history books
Old 11-20-2016, 01:04 AM   #21
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
all the top cars in the world today are autos...can u imagine a veyron with a clutch lol.
the new 8 speed auto camaro must be amazing.
20 years from now manual boxes will be confined to the history books
Imagine hammering a Veyron on a city street, or even a highway, and having it automagically rip you up to 100MPH before you even think about it.

Where are you people driving that you need the faster shifts on the street? Are you always finding Corvettes next to you that want to race?

The Camaro SS M6 hits 50 MPH in first. Isn't that kind of a signal to dump it into 4th and cruise?

What I always hated about autos was going around a corner, hammering it and the SOB would kick down to first just long enough to make you squirrelly then right back into second. With a stick it doesn't matter if I go around that corner in 4th and floor it; it isn't going to downshift.
Maybe with the paddles and Sport Mode and all the new-fangled gadgetry they are better.

With an auto can you be driving along in 4th at 35-40 MPH, push in the clutch, drop into 2nd, hammer the throttle and pop the clutch?
I knocked my brother right out of his shoes doing that once.
I think not.

Can you rip a guy up to 30, shift to 2nd and wait for him to get his hopes up, then hammer it again?
No.

How about you leave easy in 1st, the opponent hammers it and when he gets to your door you whack it and jump a length.
That makes grown men in the Euro cars cry.

Drag strip: Auto = faster.
Street: Stick = fun.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #22
drew peacock
Banned

not everything is about speed...the auto boxes far out weigh anything negative.
day to day driving u cant beat an auto.
i drove 600 miles yesterday to buy an auto...day to to day driving nothing can beat it.
racing is another thing all together...but how many of us race every second we drive?
none i think
Old 11-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #23
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Old school, until I am no longer able to push in the clutch, I refuse to own an automatic performance car regardless of make. Work is different, but when I want to engage in the driving experience, or hit the road course, I have to have a manual.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:28 AM   #24
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I've never owned an manual but I've learned on my cousins subaru and with customers cars cause I do detailing as a second and side job, some are better than others. I don't mind driving them and I may get one as my next but things do change and may stick with the auto. Many do not know how to drive one cause they don't care, those people care more about texting and being distracted.

It's a good idea to learn how to drive stick and it should be on the driving test, unless some condition prevents them. One car I wouldn't get is the z4, it's a pain to get into reverse lol.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:43 AM   #25
drew peacock
Banned

european manual cars i have no problem with
i really dont like american cars with manual..the gearboxes and clutches are way too crude.
having driven over 2 million miles in european cars i know how a clutch and gearbox should feel.
the manual mustangs are dreadfull to drive...clutch is unpredictable..gearbox is noisy and cluncky
Old 11-20-2016, 01:55 AM   #26
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Self taught, in my old 2010 2SSRS. It smelled like burnt clutch all the time!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:00 AM   #27
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
our cars area all automatic since wife and son wont drive stick.i drove semis with 13 speed trans for years.no better feeling than using the clutch once to leave the light and shifting without it for all remaining gears up and down.accidentally did it in my dads mazda truck while we we riding,he couldnt believe how easy it was.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #28
NeedlessKane

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
I came to the Camaro world from the Miata world, and it took me a while to get used to the Camaro gearbox. That being said, as much as I enjoy shifting the gears and high revs of the Miata engines, I almost wish I would've gotten an automatic Camaro because I believe the car would be more enjoyable to drive - but then I wouldn't have the LS3 - so still a hard call!

My brother gets a kick out of the fact that all the cars I've ever owned have been manual transmission. My next will probably be an auto though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1994 Mazda Miata
NeedlessKane is offline   Reply With Quote