Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I don't get it. Shifting is part of driving... I don't really see the joy of automating it. I have an automatic L99, but if I had a manual, I don't see myself ordering one of these.
Ever track your car?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Ever track your car?
No I haven't. But back in the day, I raced motorcycles so I am familiar with racing and the proper use of rev matching and manual transmissions. I understand how this device could be helpful, but I think it looks like a crutch to me. Proper shifting is part of driving.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #31
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
And why aren't you slowing down in this scenario? The clutch is in. You're raising rpms while the engine is 'clutch in'.

The goal here was to make the correct revs for the downshift instead of dumping the new gear onto the engine and upsetting the car while the engine makes the rpms jump.

I'm sure you have felt the car 'throw you forward' on a decel downshift. If you had rev-matched, that wouldn't have happened.
Chris, I ask you because no one else responded. When rev match downshifting under braking (heel toe), the amount of rev (or RPM increase) is different in different situations. It can be affected by speed of the vehicle, the RPM you were at in the higher gear, or even how many gears you are going down. With the goal of the driver to be to match the vehicle speed / engine RPM in the new lower gear perfect (or as close t perfect as possible) to prevent excessive engine braking or the little kick that happens if over revved, how can these devices work? Are the not just sending in the same given amount of increase RPM increase for every downshift? I just thought you might know. If anyone else does, please chime in.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #32
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
No I haven't. But back in the day, I raced motorcycles so I am familiar with racing and the proper use of rev matching and manual transmissions. I understand how this device could be helpful, but I think it looks like a crutch to me. Proper shifting is part of driving.
I believe it is the same technology as the dual clutch auto / manual transmissions have in todays high performance cars, and the majority of high end racing vehicles.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #33
JMCLS3
Josh C

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
These pedals will help with heel/toe.
http://www.srpracing.com/pd_camaro_2...ing_pedals.cfm

I was wondering if someone made these but never really searched. Right on!
JMCLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #34
allshotout

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro
Quote:
I don't get it. Shifting is part of driving... I don't really see the joy of automating it. I have an automatic L99, but if I had a manual, I don't see myself ordering one of these.
Don't believe the actual shifting is automated, rather the correct rpms for the gear down shifting to based on vehicle speed.
allshotout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #35
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I agree. But you have very little time to shift properly when on the track. I think this device might just make it easier to just shift and not worry about heal toe method.

Who knows. Until someone here buys this and reports back we're in the dark. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #36
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Chris, I ask you because no one else responded. When rev match downshifting under braking (heel toe), the amount of rev (or RPM increase) is different in different situations. It can be affected by speed of the vehicle, the RPM you were at in the higher gear, or even how many gears you are going down. With the goal of the driver to be to match the vehicle speed / engine RPM in the new lower gear perfect (or as close t perfect as possible) to prevent excessive engine braking or the little kick that happens if over revved, how can these devices work? Are the not just sending in the same given amount of increase RPM increase for every downshift? I just thought you might know. If anyone else does, please chime in.
Hmmm. I'd have to answer that with a Q&A.

Q: what do you call a deer with no eyes?
A: no eye deer.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #37
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
This thing seems like great tech but are we really driving 8/10ths on the track to begin with? In my opinion, and I'm not suggesting I'm a talented driver, a driver that tracks their car will get better results from being taught to race at a racing school. Yes it costs more money. Having the perfect heel and toe track day doesn't avail me much if I don't know how to position myself behind the wheel or where to look, let alone where to put the car on the track.

For those drivers that are competent and need the extra 10th, I guess this is great, but by the same token, hasn't that same driver mastered heel and toe?
Old 02-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #38
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
on the cars that have this feature from the factory, can you disable it?

Seems like it would really screw with me, after a couple million miles driving sticks, and most of those in vehicles where rev matching is not optional, its second nature. I couldn't stop doing it if I wanted to. Not sure how that would get along with the automated nanny.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #39
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
After finally looking at the website it appears to me that Auto Blip doesn't even really rev match. The way I read it is you set it to some predetermined RPM to "blip" to when you press in the clutch and put on the brake. So it always does the same thing.

That's better than nothing, but it isn't rev matching.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #40
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
This thing seems like great tech but are we really driving 8/10ths on the track to begin with? In my opinion, and I'm not suggesting I'm a talented driver, a driver that tracks their car will get better results from being taught to race at a racing school. Yes it costs more money. Having the perfect heel and toe track day doesn't avail me much if I don't know how to position myself behind the wheel or where to look, let alone where to put the car on the track.

For those drivers that are competent and need the extra 10th, I guess this is great, but by the same token, hasn't that same driver mastered heel and toe?
^^^ This is what I meant with my posts. Chris is a much better wordsmith than I am. This is what I was trying to say.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #41
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Some techniques on how, why and when to rev match with also heel and toe use. I'm still trying to master this heel and toe movement but at times I get it right and sometimes not so much but I've learned that the type of and size of your shoes play just as much in your proper mastering of this movement as does actual pedal spacing.

P.S. Op please forgive me but I did not mean to thread jack.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 02-19-2015 at 01:19 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #42
MadOven

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
Got the package today. Not a whole lot in there. Going to attempt to set it up.