Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #29
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
http://www.mydailyroast.com/?p=1359

How stupid ... they didn't know this was goinna be a huge failure due to the stupid price ? The price tag makes no sense your better off buying a maro ss for 4 years it would be around the same price wow I can't believe they dropped the ball so bad . Awful
You sure have a strong opinion on something that your opinion shows you dont understand what the Volt is.

I have a Volt home this weekend for evaluation. The trip computer still show 250+ MPG. The engine hasn't come on. There aren't many cars on the road that can do that.

I have recounted the price difference on here and other websites sooo many times I'm not going to do it again. Suffice it to say that with the tax incentive (and that's another argument) the Volt is only $6,000 more than an equivalanet Cruze LTZ. And further the monthly lease deal on the Volt is $350 per month. A great deal for a car of this content.

Is it cheap? No. But for the person with a 40 mile or less commute every day, you choose not to use gasoline. The is a personal choice and an economic choice for many motorists.

And what you are clearly not understanding is that when the battery runs low, the Volt is the ONLY vehicle on sale today that can then continue on using the ICE to sustain the battery and continue on. You can drive a Volt as far as you want, not limited by plug in recharging as all other EVs.

If you are technical enough to appreciate the Camaro, then just a few minutes thinking about the Volt will lead you to the obvious conclusion that it isn't a car for everyone, but the ones that it is the car for it's perfect.

Fail?? I don't think so. Dropped the ball? I think you are just repeating others opinions.

It may not be for you, but that doesn't make it a bad choice for others.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #30
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
The Volt is a conundrum to me. Yes, the tech is great, and it is actually a halfway decent hybrid, but even with the government rebate it is just too expensive. Don't forget too, there are a plethora of cars coming out and already out (elantra, Cruze Eco, Focus and fietsa MPG models for almost as little as 1/3 of the Volts price. You are also going to have people who will be wary of the Volt's price and longevity. I am sorry, but I don't see it as ever selling in any kind of even remotely decent volume. Now I am not saying the Volt shouldn't have been built, it is an important stepping stone to make the tech more affordable and give GM he experience it needs to make the tech work.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #31
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
Actually saw a Volt in the Wegmans parking lot and it's pretty darn cool looking in person. I hope they start selling better.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #32
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I'd buy one...I drive right at 25 miles a day, round trip to and from work...perfect for my commute and it's a nice comfortable car from the pics I've seen.

I'd certainly give it a look with the current tax break and considering the cost of a loaded "like" gas model, never buying gas for it....well, seems like it would be a great fit for my life!

Only problem I'd have is putting the keys to the Z06 down to drive it to and from work!

Last edited by Legend; 03-05-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #33
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
A Volt would be perfect for me next year. I'll have an apartment with parking right in front, so I could just run an extension cord out to the car (or the charging cord might actually reach, it's that close), and charge up my Volt every night. I drive maybe four miles round trip to work and back every night, so I would never use gas for weeks on end. Then if I wanted to go home to Cincinnati to see the parents, I'm not limited by the battery's range.

The Volt's just a stepping stone towards the future. Yes it costs a lot, but every time something new hits the market, it costs a lot. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. The Volt is arguably the best vehicle in the alternative fuel segment. Sure, the Prius and Leaf are cheaper, but you get outdated and inferior technology that uses gas all the time with the Prius, and you get a half-assed and impractical range-limited car with the Leaf.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #34
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
it is an important stepping stone to make the tech more affordable and give GM he experience it needs to make the tech work.
Exactly. Basically, someone had to do it first if the price of the technology was ever going to start coming down. GM knows fully well that the Volt is very expensive, which is why they're pushing the fairly affordable lease.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroman_99 View Post
I think sales will pick up as gas prices skyrocket...
I agree.

But not sales of the Volt.

I like the idea and cudos to GM for gettting the ball rolling. But right now, if I were in real need of preserving as much cost as I could and gas was a major expense to me, I woulnd't be buying a volt. After interest I could buy two other compacts AND gas for a year for them.

But it has to be done to get to the next level.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #36
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Those cars will never sell in large numbers as long as

1. You can get 2 conventionally powered cars of similar power and size for the same money, and 2, the Chinese continue to embargo the rare earth metals needed to manufacture them.
Huh??? Not getting in the way of Volt production.

But again, define "large numbers". The big advantage to the Volt is you can choose to use ZERO gasoline. To some people that is hugely important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
The Volt is a conundrum to me. Yes, the tech is great, and it is actually a halfway decent hybrid, but even with the government rebate it is just too expensive. Don't forget too, there are a plethora of cars coming out and already out (elantra, Cruze Eco, Focus and fietsa MPG models for almost as little as 1/3 of the Volts price. You are also going to have people who will be wary of the Volt's price and longevity. I am sorry, but I don't see it as ever selling in any kind of even remotely decent volume. Now I am not saying the Volt shouldn't have been built, it is an important stepping stone to make the tech more affordable and give GM he experience it needs to make the tech work.
More like half price. The cars you mention are all around $15,000 or higher. Cruze ECO is 18,000.

But again, if you are thinking 500,000 units, not going to happen. If you are talking 100,000 units that's very feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrilliantQ View Post
They aren't being sold here yet. I checked.
I think you can buy one in Texas, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut along with California, Michigan, and Washington, D.C.

With Texas and Michigan being traditional big GM states. It will be the end of 2011 before there is really a national rollout.

And consider the Volt will be exported and Opel will get the Ampera, all increasing production as we get further out in the launch.

All cars tend to launch slowly and build. Cruze last 3 months, 10,000 in Dec., 12,000 in January and 18,000 in February. And that is a car expected to sell in "big numbers".

Give it time.

And still, I don't think the $350/month lease has been a big impact. The car is a great deal if you drive 40 miles per day on EV only. Even with a Cruze ECO, Elantra or Fiesta at 40 MPG, you are using $100 per month in gas. Combine that with the fact that the Volt is a highly equpped car and you are in the ball park.

Again, the Volt is not and wasn't intended to be for everybody. It makes great sense for a lot of people and perfect sense if you don't want to use gas.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #37
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
I just called a Texas dealer and they didn't know much about the Volt. Salesmen even told me the car was 100% electric and didn't even take gas.

When I asked about the Camaro ZL1, he said "huh do you mean ZR1".
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #38
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
I just called a Texas dealer and they didn't know much about the Volt. Salesmen even told me the car was 100% electric and didn't even take gas.

When I asked about the Camaro ZL1, he said "huh do you mean ZR1".
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #39
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
i think even though the volt is hideous, it is a great idea and a great car for most people and would work for me. But whats gonna happen if this thing (and other hybrids) sell like crazy and years from now we have all these toxic batteries to get rid of? put em in the dirt? or are they 100% recyclable?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #40
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Huh??? Not getting in the way of Volt production.

But again, define "large numbers". The big advantage to the Volt is you can choose to use ZERO gasoline. To some people that is hugely important.

More like half price. The cars you mention are all around $15,000 or higher. Cruze ECO is 18,000.

But again, if you are thinking 500,000 units, not going to happen. If you are talking 100,000 units that's very feasible.

I think you can buy one in Texas, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut along with California, Michigan, and Washington, D.C.

With Texas and Michigan being traditional big GM states. It will be the end of 2011 before there is really a national rollout.

And consider the Volt will be exported and Opel will get the Ampera, all increasing production as we get further out in the launch.

All cars tend to launch slowly and build. Cruze last 3 months, 10,000 in Dec., 12,000 in January and 18,000 in February. And that is a car expected to sell in "big numbers".

Give it time.

And still, I don't think the $350/month lease has been a big impact. The car is a great deal if you drive 40 miles per day on EV only. Even with a Cruze ECO, Elantra or Fiesta at 40 MPG, you are using $100 per month in gas. Combine that with the fact that the Volt is a highly equpped car and you are in the ball park.

Again, the Volt is not and wasn't intended to be for everybody. It makes great sense for a lot of people and perfect sense if you don't want to use gas.
Problem is that not everyone wants to lease a car. When you consider that during a lease you have restricted mileage doesn't that largely negate the points of having a commuter car? Lets not forget that hybrid powertrains don't last anywhere near as long as conventional gas engines. Look up some used Prius that need a new electric motor and you'll see my point.

In my instance the Volt didn't even pop up my radar due to the price to own. I may pay $200 dollars in gas averaging 40 MPG in my Fiesta driving like I do every month but I could afford the $17,500 after tax to buy outright. In the end I'm saving thousands of dollars even still pumping gas so it made sense to me. At least there is enough push for these cars that one day they may become as affordable as conventional gasoline engine vehicles. This could take 20 years or longer to accomplish so I'm not holding my breath anytime soon.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #41
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
Problem is that not everyone wants to lease a car. When you consider that during a lease you have restricted mileage doesn't that largely negate the points of having a commuter car? Lets not forget that hybrid powertrains don't last anywhere near as long as conventional gas engines. Look up some used Prius that need a new electric motor and you'll see my point.

In my instance the Volt didn't even pop up my radar due to the price to own. I may pay $200 dollars in gas averaging 40 MPG in my Fiesta driving like I do every month but I could afford the $17,500 after tax to buy outright. In the end I'm saving thousands of dollars even still pumping gas so it made sense to me. At least there is enough push for these cars that one day they may become as affordable as conventional gasoline engine vehicles. This could take 20 years or longer to accomplish so I'm not holding my breath anytime soon.
Like I said, the Volt isn't perfect for everybody.

What I can assure you is the Volt meets all of the same powertrain requirements met by every other GM vehicle.

And you are correct, the costs will come down. Higher volumes help as does developing the technology.

What most people that poo poo the Volt and Leaf forget is that some people don't want to use gas..............at all. And that is worth a premium. It isn't always the cheapest solultion that is the best solution for that customer.

For people that drive more than the 30 to 40 miles (cold winters can reduce range) or you really need the flexibility and using fuel isn't a sin to you, then simply buying high mileage car can be the better solution.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
SS/RS NJ
Chevy/Buick Internet Mgr

Drives: 2SS/RS Victory Red
Think of the Volt like the first cell phones… a little awkward and expensive at first... but look how far they have come in a relatively short time. We have sold all but one of our years allocation (6) and they have been very well received.
MTI Rear dovetail spoiler.
Replaced: 2010 Silver Ice A6 2SS/RS
SS/RS NJ is offline   Reply With Quote