Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #435
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
your new radio might not be giving the BA amp enough power. I believe the factory radio had a amp in it to run the non BA sound system. I may be wrong. Every radio iv hooked up sounded better with the radio amp on.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #436
Dahita

Drives: Camaro 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
your new radio might not be giving the BA amp enough power. I believe the factory radio had a amp in it to run the non BA sound system. I may be wrong. Every radio iv hooked up sounded better with the radio amp on.
I'm not quite sure I understand your statement. An amp needs power from the Head Unit to run?! Aren't amplifiers meant for the opposite purpose?

Either way, I have the Pioneer 4200NEX and there is no option to turn internal amp on or off, so I'm not sure the issue comes from there.

PAC mentioned to make sure the Pioneer unit uses the standard mode over the 3 way network mode, but there is not such option in the 4200NEX. Waiting for their feedback, if they come up with anything good I'll post it here.
Dahita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #437
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the head unit needs a amp to send the signal to the external amp. your radio has a 50w built in amp. i think they may call it defeat on or off.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #438
opossum

Drives: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-T View Post
opossum

Based on your pics, you also switched from a MyLink to the PAC5. Did you have to use the microphone in the kit, or did it intigrate with the microphone that's already built in to the car on the MyLinks?
Hallo,

i have installed the mic from the Kenwood unit. Therefore i use not the mic from the MyLink. The mic is installed in the Roof console.

greetings from Germany
Egbert
Chevrolet Camaro - V8 - MT - 2013 - European Version - Inferno Orange/ Inferno orange - ACC Sidemarker ghosted - Dash Kit PAC RPK5-GM4101 with DNX8170DABS - Amp KAC-8406 - Sub Pioneer TS-WX110A - Rear- and Front-Camera - ACC Mail Slot Scanner RGB - Pedders Sportsryder - painted parts in engine compartment - black powder coated original rims - H & R wheel plates 20mm front and rear axle - 1 LE steering wheel - MGW Short shifter replacement - aluminum door Pins - ACS T4 Splitter - us-mirrors - ZL1 side rockers - High Wing Spoiler
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #439
Big-T

Drives: 2014 2SS
Hey Dahita, my 4-way switch works fine.. as does the temp gauge. I'm not sure what wires enable that so I have no idea how you would troubleshoot them. I would recommend giving a shout out to PAC.

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the amp question, too. It's possible I have the same issue, as I also have the BA setup with external amp.. I just haven't cranked mine yet.
Big-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #440
Dahita

Quote:
Hey Dahita, my 4-way switch works fine.. as does the temp gauge. I'm not sure what wires enable that so I have no idea how you would troubleshoot them. I would recommend giving a shout out to PAC.

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the amp question, too. It's possible I have the same issue, as I also have the BA setup with external amp.. I just haven't cranked mine yet.
Hi Big-T, thanks for the feedback.

I don't know what you mean by the 4 way switch, but for the temp I''ll ask them and get the answer back here.

For the amp, I've had one answer from PAC so far: they asked me to try with the "3 way network" mode switched off (so standard mode). Problem: my pioneer unit does not have this feature (4200NEX). I'm still looking for a proper answer, I'll post it here if/when found. In the meantime, I'm not using my sound anymore; for some reason I'm afraid I'm actually damaging them (the stereo image doesn't sound great, it almost feels like the polarities are wrong).
Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #441
Big-T

4-way blinkers... It's the old man way of saying Hazard lights.

Make any progress on the AMP situation? I'm curious myself now..
Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #442
Dahita

Quote:
4-way blinkers... It's the old man way of saying Hazard lights.

Make any progress on the AMP situation? I'm curious myself now..
Yes Sir, thanks to someone named Jeffa on another thread, I think I have found all the answers and I'm litterally 2 mins away from getting back in my car and testing it.

Will report soon...
Old 12-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #443
Dahita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
Yes Sir, thanks to someone named Jeffa on another thread, I think I have found all the answers and I'm litterally 2 mins away from getting back in my car and testing it.

Will report soon...
No dice. Took me 2 hours to unscrew, redo all wires, put it back; not working, sound is terrible.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #444
opossum

Drives: 2013
Quote:
Hi,

I have installed this kit and I have the exact same overall comments as anyone else:
- The factory look is awesome and priceless (I wouldn't have installed any other kit)
- The warning button doesn't function properly
- I could NOT use the factory mic (different plug, not usable with Pioneer NEX 4200)
- Android auto is also the reason why I upgraded from regular CD headunit (with B.A premium sound), it works flawlessly.

I have 2 issues:
- I can't get the Boston Acoustic amplifier to work. The sound comes from all 9 speakers, but it sounds a bit flat and at mid-volume it starts distorting, which makes me assume that the amp is not functioning. What anyone successful in using this kit with the factory B.A. amp?

- The temperature digital panel on top does not work, much like on pictures I see on Kalcorp's post #424
Hallo, Dahita,

please, can you tell me, where you have connected the blue/with wire from your pioneer unit. The blue/with wire brings 12V max 300mA to your BA amp. The amp switches on, when this wire is going to +12V. This wire has only +12V, if you switch on the pioneer unit.
If the the +12V max. 300mA from pioneer unit (i have read the manual of the unit at page 68 chapter 30) are to low for switching the amp on, you can try, the +12V from ignition (red wire) connect to the blue/white wire at the PAC unit and the blue/white wire from the pioneer not to connect. My Kenwood unit has this wire too, but there are +12V 1A.
I have to switch the Kenwood amp and the sub amp in my car. Therefore i have routed 2 wires from ignition to the amps. If i switch ignition on, my amps are beginning to work. That works fine.
Hope, i have understood your problem correctly and hope, you can understand my bad english language. Wish you success.

Best regards from Germany
Egbert
Chevrolet Camaro - V8 - MT - 2013 - European Version - Inferno Orange/ Inferno orange - ACC Sidemarker ghosted - Dash Kit PAC RPK5-GM4101 with DNX8170DABS - Amp KAC-8406 - Sub Pioneer TS-WX110A - Rear- and Front-Camera - ACC Mail Slot Scanner RGB - Pedders Sportsryder - painted parts in engine compartment - black powder coated original rims - H & R wheel plates 20mm front and rear axle - 1 LE steering wheel - MGW Short shifter replacement - aluminum door Pins - ACS T4 Splitter - us-mirrors - ZL1 side rockers - High Wing Spoiler
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #445
Dahita

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum View Post
Hallo, Dahita,

please, can you tell me, where you have connected the blue/with wire from your pioneer unit. The blue/with wire brings 12V max 300mA to your BA amp. The amp switches on, when this wire is going to +12V. This wire has only +12V, if you switch on the pioneer unit.
If the the +12V max. 300mA from pioneer unit (i have read the manual of the unit at page 68 chapter 30) are to low for switching the amp on, you can try, the +12V from ignition (red wire) connect to the blue/white wire at the PAC unit and the blue/white wire from the pioneer not to connect. My Kenwood unit has this wire too, but there are +12V 1A.
I have to switch the Kenwood amp and the sub amp in my car. Therefore i have routed 2 wires from ignition to the amps. If i switch ignition on, my amps are beginning to work. That works fine.
Hope, i have understood your problem correctly and hope, you can understand my bad english language. Wish you success.

Best regards from Germany
Egbert
Hi Egbert,

Nice to hear from a German fellows (FYI I'm French!). My blue/white wire is connected to the blue/white wire of the PAC harness. Yes, it does sound like the sound is passing through the amp unaffected, like if the amp was turned off.

I very much appreciate your feedback/advice (like everyone else's). I'll going to try your suggestion today. And your English is perfectly understandable,

Thanks,
Dahita
Old 12-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #446
Big-T

So I went ahead ran some tests with my head unit against a co-worker's BA Camaro. We're quite certain that I am getting full use of the amp. The tuning is definitely a lot different, so I can't say they sounded the same... but they both seem to fall out around the same place (neither does full volume well, in our opinion).

I wonder if you just have a connection problem somewhere? what did you use to connect your HU wires to the PAC? All of mine are soldered and the connections covered in heat shrink. If you used crimps, it might be worth double checking to make sure they are all tight and that they all are crimped down on copper.

I also noticed when I put mine together that you have to actually work to get the plugs to fully seat. You might take a look at the connections going into the PAC square thing and make sure they are all fully seated in there. If not, try to work them a bit to get them fully seated.

It really sucks you're having issues with it. I'm loving mine to death... I hope you are able to find the glitch with yours.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #447
Dahita

Quote:
So I went ahead ran some tests with my head unit against a co-worker's BA Camaro. We're quite certain that I am getting full use of the amp. The tuning is definitely a lot different, so I can't say they sounded the same... but they both seem to fall out around the same place (neither does full volume well, in our opinion).

I wonder if you just have a connection problem somewhere? what did you use to connect your HU wires to the PAC? All of mine are soldered and the connections covered in heat shrink. If you used crimps, it might be worth double checking to make sure they are all tight and that they all are crimped down on copper.

I also noticed when I put mine together that you have to actually work to get the plugs to fully seat. You might take a look at the connections going into the PAC square thing and make sure they are all fully seated in there. If not, try to work them a bit to get them fully seated.

It really sucks you're having issues with it. I'm loving mine to death... I hope you are able to find the glitch with yours.
Big-T, I really appreciate your testimony. At least I know they didn't lie. One question that could help narrow the problem down; What kind of head unit you have bought? a Pioneer? Kenwood?
Old 12-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #448
Dahita

Quote:
Big-T, I really appreciate your testimony. At least I know they didn't lie. One question that could help narrow the problem down; What kind of head unit you have bought? a Pioneer? Kenwood?
Nevermind, I have FINALLY found the answer. I tried different things, none were working. As I was scratching my head looking at the PAC device, thinking something was wrong with it, I realized that one plug from the main harness (the factory sound plug) can fit into 2 different connector holes.

Sure enough, it was plugged in the wrong one... After redoing all the cables for 2 hours, I plugged everthing back and it works perfectly. In my defense, their schematic on the manual/guide is wrong; it does show the plug connected on the bottom left instead of the bottom right. However, what I had missed is that they are labelled. The amp functions exactly as it did before again, I'm very happy.

Now, I can't finish mounting the whole thing because trying the stereo 3 mins emptied my battery. It's like a never ending story!

Thank you all for all the help. I hope this can help someone else one day