Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #43
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
You're a moderator, do it yourself.
I added it into the DIY guide sticky. I take it you made the thread itself a sticky... cus I didnt...lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #44
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Some speed shops are gonna lose business due to this thread. Props for the great write-up.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #45
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
hello Robertway, thank you for the great writeup. im getting close to doing this. a couple of questions, i read through but maybe i missed it. when going to the 3 bolt cam, is it absolutely necessary to change the timing chain? or is this something you did "while there"? if the chain does not need to be changed then does the pan still need to be lowered to do the cam install? thank you and apoligize if i missed this info.

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #46
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
hello Robertway, thank you for the great writeup. im getting close to doing this. a couple of questions, i read through but maybe i missed it. when going to the 3 bolt cam, is it absolutely necessary to change the timing chain? or is this something you did "while there"? if the chain does not need to be changed then does the pan still need to be lowered to do the cam install? thank you and apoligize if i missed this info.

lupe
The chain does not HAVE to be swapped out when going to the 3 bolt cam/gear but it is one of those "cheap insurance" things. I don't believe it is a 3 bolt cam issue as much as it is a more aggressive cam with higher lift, more aggressive ramp rates on the lobes, and much stiffer dual valve springs that all put a lot more demand on the timing chain. Does everyone change/upgrade the timing chain, probably not because of the extra labor of dropping the pan and dealing with the oil pump but to me it was one of those "while I'm in there" items and other than the added time to swap it. My guess is there are a lot of folks that keep the stock chain when doing a cam and never have any problems but I chose to upgrade it which I am guessing a lot of folks do as well.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #47
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
thank you very much for your time and info, its really a big help, thank you again

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #48
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
thank you very much for your time and info, its really a big help, thank you again

lupe
No problem lupe, good luck with whatever you do....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #49
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
AWESOME! BIG TIME THANK YOU...

I'll be using this in the near future...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #50
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
!@#$%^&* Why didn't I find this thread last week. I just did a cam install over the weekend on my LS3, and took tons of pics and six pages of notes so I could post out a DIY. I used the LS1 cam install how-to as a guide. But as you know, there are a lot of differences between the to engines.

Once again, great writeup!
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #51
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Drives: 1SS IBM w/ SIM Stripes
robertway: is it safe to drive the car "untuned" to a shop and have it tuned? or is it too much of a risk to mess something up? also, do you have LT headers? and i'm also assuming that since you have a blower cam you plan on supercharging it someday. i think that'll be my plan also. great job btw!! roughly how long did it take you?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #52
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-RAY View Post
robertway: is it safe to drive the car "untuned" to a shop and have it tuned? or is it too much of a risk to mess something up? also, do you have LT headers? and i'm also assuming that since you have a blower cam you plan on supercharging it someday. i think that'll be my plan also. great job btw!! roughly how long did it take you?
I plan on driving the car down to the shop to get tuned if it would ever stop snowing and sleeting here in Jersey. The car will run ok without it tuned for the cam it'll just burp and spit a bit and the biggest challenge is keeping it from stalling as you come to a stop because the car just can't find idle. I just wouldn't try to "stretch it's legs" on the way to the shop. I am only about 40 minutes away from the shop so not too far. The car will "learn" the fuel trims on the way so it'll be fine.

I already have Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tubes and a RotoFab CAI and am planning on a blower probably as next winter's project which is why I went with the blower cam now, plus it has a little less overlap so drivability won't suffer as much and I won't loose too much torque down low.

The cam install itself probably took me about 20-25 hours all together just taking my time and doing it a few hours a day with one long day on a weekend. The hardest part for me was figuring out what to disconnect to get the radiator out easily and then getting the oil pan dropped to swap the timing chain, it was just a case of never having done it before. If I did it all over again knowing what I know now I could probably blow through it in 8-10 hours straight working non-stop and having all the parts and necessary tools right in front of me (running out to Lowes every 15 minutes for another tool starts to add up). Hopefully the DIY thread will help folks cut the time down a lot since they don't have to "figure stuff out"

Thanks for the compliments and good luck if you're going to do this yourself (not that you'll need luck as it is pretty straight forward). Feel free to ask me for any clarification on any step in the DIY thread.

Robert

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #53
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Drives: 1SS IBM w/ SIM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
I plan on driving the car down to the shop to get tuned if it would ever stop snowing and sleeting here in Jersey. The car will run ok without it tuned for the cam it'll just burp and spit a bit and the biggest challenge is keeping it from stalling as you come to a stop because the car just can't find idle. I just wouldn't try to "stretch it's legs" on the way to the shop. I am only about 40 minutes away from the shop so not too far. The car will "learn" the fuel trims on the way so it'll be fine.

I already have Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tubes and a RotoFab CAI and am planning on a blower probably as next winter's project which is why I went with the blower cam now, plus it has a little less overlap so drivability won't suffer as much and I won't loose too much torque down low.

The cam install itself probably took me about 20-25 hours all together just taking my time and doing it a few hours a day with one long day on a weekend. The hardest part for me was figuring out what to disconnect to get the radiator out easily and then getting the oil pan dropped to swap the timing chain, it was just a case of never having done it before. If I did it all over again knowing what I know now I could probably blow through it in 8-10 hours straight working non-stop and having all the parts and necessary tools right in front of me (running out to Lowes every 15 minutes for another tool starts to add up). Hopefully the DIY thread will help folks cut the time down a lot since they don't have to "figure stuff out"

Thanks for the compliments and good luck if you're going to do this yourself (not that you'll need luck as it is pretty straight forward). Feel free to ask me for any clarification on any step in the DIY thread.

Robert

That's good to know that running the car for a little bit won't harm it. I think before I go ahead and get a cam I need to start with the foundation and get set up for success when I go to install the cam, i.e. LT headers, exhaust, and CAI. Do you know what the differences are between a regular cam and a blower cam? I would think that the durations are wider and a wider LSA, or is it the opposite? I know exactly what you mean about having to run to the store every few minutes.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #54
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-RAY View Post
That's good to know that running the car for a little bit won't harm it. I think before I go ahead and get a cam I need to start with the foundation and get set up for success when I go to install the cam, i.e. LT headers, exhaust, and CAI. Do you know what the differences are between a regular cam and a blower cam? I would think that the durations are wider and a wider LSA, or is it the opposite? I know exactly what you mean about having to run to the store every few minutes.
Generally speaking, and I am no professional when it comes to this, blower cams have less overlap between the intake and exhaust valves to avoid the intake charge from being "blown" out the exhaust while it and the intake are open. In an/ N/A setup, more overlap helps at the top end due to the scavenging effect (sucking) of the exhaust as it will actually jumpstart the intake charge a bit before it closes allowing for a more complete intake charge to take place but at lower rpms idle/power will suffer and if the overlap is significant enough will make the car not fun to drive on a daily basis. Exact specs I cannot recommend so suggest you get hooked up with a reputable local shop or better yet reach out to some of the shops that are more respected here on the forums (I'll reserve from calling any out as to not be biased).

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #55
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I have to applaud the OP on this thread. So detailed... it's mind blowing. Although I have a V6, and this mod doesn't apply to me., I am still very impressed. Thank you for taking the time to write this great DIY for the community!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #56
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Great great write up and videos. Thank you for sharing.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote