Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #43
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
I am calm. I believe this rant makes you the one who needs to calm down. I am on no Challenger boards.

Fact:
The SuperSnake Shelby is different than any aftermarket V10 Challenger in that it uses the factory engine, albeit modified. Changing out the entire engine on an unsold car and selling it as new is against the law.
What? I don't even know where to begin! PLENTY of aftermarlet companies do this! From Hennessey to RUF! Also a lot of convertibles are sent to aftermarket companies to have the convertible conversion done and then sent back and shipped out as new cars, is this illegal too? THe more you type, the worse you look......
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #44
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
What? I don't even know where to begin! PLENTY of aftermarlet companies do this! From Hennessey to RUF! Also a lot of convertibles are sent to aftermarket companies to have the convertible conversion done and then sent back and shipped out as new cars, is this illegal too? THe more you type, the worse you look......
You can name no specific cars that do this. You named 2 aftermarket companies that do not sell cars as new. You are unspecific about the convertible option. You need to be specific about your argument.

More facts:
It is against federal law to remove, relocate or replace with a nonfactory part a working catalytic converter on any recent automobile. Show me 1 specific car that does this and which dealer I can buy this car from.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #45
Stew

Quote:
You can name no specific cars that do this. You named 2 aftermarket companies that do not sell cars as new. You are unspecific about the convertible option. You need to be specific about your argument.

More facts:
It is against federal law to remove, relocate or replace with a nonfactory part a working catalytic converter on any recent automobile. Show me 1 specific car that does this and which dealer I can buy this car from.
I'll tell you what, you start providing proo for the BS you are spitting out and I will tun around and do the same.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #46
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #47
alrox

Quote:
I'll tell you what, you start providing proo for the BS you are spitting out and I will tun around and do the same.
The catalytic converter statement is correct. To stay on topic in this thread, any V10 Challenger will require a header change, which will change out the catalytic converter. No way around this, which makes the car impossible to build and comply with EPA laws.

Hennessey: http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/howitworks.html
Quote:
“What if I have yet to purchase the car? Can you build me a complete turnkey car?”
Of course! We regularly work with clients who have yet to buy a base vehicle for upgrading. In most cases, we’ll work with you to locate or order the vehicle that matches your preferences and options, purchase it, then have it transported directly to our facility for upgrading. When all is said and done, you’ll be delivered a brand new, complete Hennessey vehicle that’s ready for the road.
Translation: You buy a stock car and send it to them. They upgrade it and send it to a dealer. You get the entire dealer experience then.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #48
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
I agree with alrox that this V10 Challenger is pure speculation, it is 99.9% likely that Chrystler never builds a V10 Challenger. However...can't you let a guy dream!
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #49
SuperFly03

Quote:
The catalytic converter statement is correct. To stay on topic in this thread, any V10 Challenger will require a header change, which will change out the catalytic converter. No way around this, which makes the car impossible to build and comply with EPA laws.
How is this true? If they change the headers how does that mean it automatically can't be built to comply with EPA laws?

Or are you saying the change in the converter (by the aftermarket company who does the engine swap) makes it violate EPA laws?

Previous Car:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #50
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Camaro11 View Post
I agree with alrox that this V10 Challenger is pure speculation, it is 99.9% likely that Chrystler never builds a V10 Challenger. However...can't you let a guy dream!
It is speculation, we all agree there. However, alrox is definitively saying it will never be built and is not even a possibility.

Previous Car:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #51
Stew

Quote:

Hennessey: http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/howitworks.html

Translation: You buy a stock car and send it to them. They upgrade it and send it to a dealer. You get the entire dealer experience then.
You are still not really placing any proof out there. Going with headers does not mean you have to change the converter and plenty of companies offer carb certified high flow cats. As for the other thing I will need to research, but the factories sending cars to 3rd parties for additional modifications is NOT a new thing and not illegal. Who knows if this will even happen, IMHO I would rather see an SC'd or turbo 6.4 myself.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #52
alrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
How is this true? If they change the headers how does that mean it automatically can't be built to comply with EPA laws?

Or are you saying the change in the converter (by the aftermarket company who does the engine swap) makes it violate EPA laws?
It's true because it's what the law says.

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

Quote:
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.
These laws are rarely abided by with performance shops and they put the responsibility of following the law on the owner of the car.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #53
alrox

Quote:
You are still not really placing any proof out there. Going with headers does not mean you have to change the converter and plenty of companies offer carb certified high flow cats. As for the other thing I will need to research, but the factories sending cars to 3rd parties for additional modifications is NOT a new thing and not illegal. Who knows if this will even happen, IMHO I would rather see an SC'd or turbo 6.4 myself.
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.

Those 'CARB certified' cats installed on new cars with less than 80,000 miles do not meet the laws criteria.

Aftermarket tuners should be more upfront with their activity, legal or not.

Factories do not send their cars to aftermarket companies. Perhaps you're thinking of the 1960's. New cars get delivered to authorized dealers only. What they do with the cars, after a end consumer has purchased them, can vary.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #54
Stew

Quote:
It's true because it's what the law says.

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

These laws are rarely abided by with performance shops and they put the responsibility of following the law on the owner of the car.
I think you are misunderstanding the law. THis has to do with a private owner replacing the factory origional equipment. THey can get the V10 carb certified even if they send it out to an aftermarket manufacturer for final assembly. THe parts and placement will still be certified by Chrysler and the EPA. It is much like when coachbuilders do convertible setups for factories.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #55
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #56
alrox

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding the law. THis has to do with a private owner replacing the factory origional equipment. THey can get the V10 carb certified even if they send it out to an aftermarket manufacturer for final assembly. THe parts and placement will still be certified by Chrysler and the EPA. It is much like when coachbuilders do convertible setups for factories.
No. Emissions has nothing to do with a convertible top.

There is no way to misunderstand this.

Quote:
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

Tags
alrox = tool, alrox=idiot