Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #7099
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Hey guys, who should I be looking at to do my alignment after I install the lowering springs? Have any of you done the reclocking or timing of the bushings yourself? I have 4 ramps I can place the car on. Will I be able to get to all the busings like this, or is it worth it to have whoever does the alignment do the clocking?

For kicks, I called one of the dealerships. $89.95 for an alignment. The quote for clocking the busings was, "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about."

Thanks guys

Last edited by colemanvoice; 05-03-2012 at 10:12 AM.
colemanvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #7100
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
MTI HPS and Vengeance all do suspension installations. I'd probably talk to one of them about it.

I know Jessie at HPS has suspension experience.

I had a leveling kit on my truck for a while.. took it off cos the dealership and kauffman tire swore that the camber wasn't adjustable. I had positive camber (visibly so..) and it was wearing my tires out.. so I took the kit off.

This was before I knew HPS existed or I woulda had them do it.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #7101
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
MTI HPS and Vengeance all do suspension installations. I'd probably talk to one of them about it.

I know Jessie at HPS has suspension experience.

I had a leveling kit on my truck for a while.. took it off cos the dealership and kauffman tire swore that the camber wasn't adjustable. I had positive camber (visibly so..) and it was wearing my tires out.. so I took the kit off.

This was before I knew HPS existed or I woulda had them do it.
Thanks DarkFox. I knew those guys did suspension, just not sure if they do the alignment too or not. I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #7102
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Neal turned me on to a great guy in Alpharetta for alignments. I have been to him 3 times...and completely trust him...and that says a lot for me to trust someone working on my car. Northpoint Automotive: 770-475-9316. Casper is the owner. 11505 N Fulton Industrial Blvd, Alpharetta (right by Neal's shop and Verizon Ampitheater).

None of the performance shops do their own alignment that I know of. Easy enough to take it yourself, and they'll do it while you wait.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #7103
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Neal turned me on to a great guy in Alpharetta for alignments. I have been to him 3 times...and completely trust him...and that says a lot for me to trust someone working on my car. Northpoint Automotive: 770-475-9316. Casper is the owner. 11505 N Fulton Industrial Blvd, Alpharetta (right by Neal's shop and Verizon Ampitheater).

None of the performance shops do their own alignment that I know of. Easy enough to take it yourself, and they'll do it while you wait.
Excellent Joe, thanks. Do you think clocking the bushings is something I can do? From what I've read, the most difficult part is getting to the bolts with load on the wheels. I have 4 ramps I can place the car on. Otherwise, I called Northpoint Automotive for a quick quote. I didn't drop names or drop the drama of how sensitive I will be with my car. They didn't have a quote for timing the bushings, but told me their hourly rate.

Thanks again Joe, you know I'm looking for someone who will treat my car with the same respect you look for.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #7104
Dexcam1
ACE5.org

Drives: "Flightrisk"
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanvoice View Post
Hey guys, who should I be looking at to do my alignment after I install the lowering springs? Have any of you done the reclocking or timing of the bushings yourself? I have 4 ramps I can place the car on. Will I be able to get to all the busings like this, or is it worth it to have whoever does the alignment do the clocking?

For kicks, I called one of the dealerships. $89.95 for an alignment. The quote for clocking the busings was, "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about."

Thanks guys

I had alignment set to BMR specs and bushings timed at Rick Hendricks about 3 weeks ago for $109. I took the specs and instructions how to time the bushings in with me. The service guy had no idea of what i was talking about but the tech did exactly what I wanted.
Dexcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #7105
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Quote:
Thanks DarkFox. I knew those guys did suspension, just not sure if they do the alignment too or not. I'll have to check it out.

Well, I know for a fact they don' have the equipment, but they may at least know who does and who can do it right.

Or they might charge you a mark-up and drive your car to kauffman tire.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #7106
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexcam1 View Post
I had alignment set to BMR specs and bushings timed at Rick Hendricks about 3 weeks ago for $109. I took the specs and instructions how to time the bushings in with me. The service guy had no idea of what i was talking about but the tech did exactly what I wanted.
Wow, $109 sounds pretty good. Right now, I'm looking at $85 for the alignment and almost $100 hourly rate after that. Thanks Dex. I gotta find the spec sheet for the Phadt springs. I had it at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
Well, I know for a fact they don' have the equipment, but they may at least know who does and who can do it right.
Or they might charge you a mark-up and drive your car to kauffman tire.
I'll take all the options I can get, DarkFox. It's always good to weigh out all the options and go with what works best for you. Thank you for your input.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #7107
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
We have brand new alignment system here at the dealership. $89.95 plus tax I got mine done a couple weeks ago.
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #7108
Dexcam1
ACE5.org

[QUOTE=colemanvoice;4906047]Wow, $109 sounds pretty good. Right now, I'm looking at $85 for the alignment and almost $100 hourly rate after that. Thanks Dex. I gotta find the spec sheet for the Phadt springs. I had it at one time.
QUOTE]

The tech said getting the alignment back to spec was a PITA and took him almost 3 hours to do the complete job. I was surprised myself that they didn't charge me the hourly rate. The only thing they denied me was my $49 aligment coupon. I kinda figured they would but was too happy about the overall price to argue.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #7109
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

[QUOTE=Dexcam1;4906161]
Quote:
Wow, $109 sounds pretty good. Right now, I'm looking at $85 for the alignment and almost $100 hourly rate after that. Thanks Dex. I gotta find the spec sheet for the Phadt springs. I had it at one time.
QUOTE]

The tech said getting the alignment back to spec was a PITA and took him almost 3 hours to do the complete job. I was surprised myself that they didn't charge me the hourly rate. The only thing they denied me was my $49 aligment coupon. I kinda figured they would but was too happy about the overall price to argue.
The alignment to spec, or doing the timing was tough? If it took him 3 hours to align to spec, then what would a one hour alignment look like? Am I miss understanding you?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #7110
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
We have brand new alignment system here at the dealership. $89.95 plus tax I got mine done a couple weeks ago.
Justin, do mind asking about timing, or reclocking the bushings, too? The proceedure is in this link; http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153188

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #7111
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Here you go!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #7112
Dexcam1
ACE5.org

[QUOTE=colemanvoice;4906254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexcam1 View Post

The alignment to spec, or doing the timing was tough? If it took him 3 hours to align to spec, then what would a one hour alignment look like? Am I miss understanding you?

The way I understood them was that the alignment to spec was the toughest part.

From some research I did, I found that most places only align it enough to get you into the green areas and nothing more. If you want specific specs it takes some extra work.

Tags
atlanta, club, diane is great., free josh, j.t. is awesome, mti locks not rocks your car, mti rocks, mti rocks your mom's house, yep yep