Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #113
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Just as ford went back to the drawing board after the camaro came back out in 2009 and chevy has been winning the sales crown ever since. Ford up's the GT engine and horsepower, why? Camaro, thats why. Ford changes the base v6, why? Camaro, see how this is going. Ford updates the styling on the mustang, why you ask? Camaro, again can you see the trend. Now, the ZL1 is announced and the blue oval knows it must again try thwart the still in second place mustang from loosing more sales before the next gen cars appear in 2015 or so from both ford and chevy. All this is due to like Big Al stated in his open letter because the Camaro has proven to be a worthy opponent, otherwise the mustang would still be soldiering on with the same equipment from 2009 with only a new bullit edition every couple of years to keep the sheep interested in the same ole car. Competition is grand.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #114
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
Personally I'd prefer to have the option to not have the added weight and expense of things you don't need. If you're never going to twisty track your car you really have no need for a diff cooler. Most of these cars (both GT500 and ZL1) are never going to see VIR, they're going to be street cars and some with occasional trips to the drag strip. Saving 6 or so grand and not paying for stuff you don't really need or care about seems like a pretty good idea to me.
If you are buying the Zl1 for purely drag racing, you are buying the wrong camaro for that limited use. The ZL1 is a balanced performance package, not a drag car.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #115
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Nice to meet you, my name is D!ck.

You should see the lonely roads in rural Louisiana, they look like a slalom course. I defy someone who loves driving to take a car that holds the road so well between my house and town without pushing it around the curves.

I don't want to jinx myself, but in 30 years of driving, I've never left anything but rubber on the road, no glass, no plastic, no blood. That's what the steering wheel and brembo's are for.

Oh, extra points for the deer & cows I've dodged.

lol..
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #116
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
If you are buying the Zl1 for purely drag racing, you are buying the wrong camaro for that limited use. The ZL1 is a balanced performance package, not a drag car.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that people are going to buy the car just to drag race, but we all know far more of the ones that actually see a track will be of the straight variety versus the ones with curves.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #117
SSMagna
FAST1

Drives: ADM LSX 427 Twin Turbo #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribone View Post
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]The days of “no replacement for displacement,” are over, and it’s not enough to be fast in a straight line
I'm sorry I'm a Chevrolet guy but it is on the street and drag strip where 90% of the customers are going to have a chance to prove themselves in a straight line. 650 HP is a lot to overcome in a straight line not to mention its lighter.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #118
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston94vert View Post
Clearly a reaction from Chevrolet. Which is fine but I think he's giving themselves too much credit on the developments of the mustang. Specially when everyone saw testing zl1 on their private course with a performance packaged gt500. Everyone saw this. The zl1 was created because of the Shelby. The current Shelby and ford saw this coming.

I'm afraid this is just smoke and mirrors for Chevy as they are now back to the drawing board.
How exactly are they back to the drawing board? Ford can't seem to draw a decent front or back to their Mustang, so It can have 1000 hp and its still ugly.
I value appearance as much as performance, and for me the ZL1 absolutely kills the mustang on appearance.

The mustang is of no concern to me, and it still won't be able to keep up around the corners even with the 70 extra ponies
Old 11-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #119
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
You know-- rarely have I taken someone on publicly.....

I do not think you will "re-consider" because in order to 're-consider'-- one would have to 'consider' in the first place ......

.....and frankly I've not seen any positive post from you yet.

True, I don't have the time to read every post....but I consistently see you bashing the ZL1.

The name Camaro means "friend" -- "Pal" --- or "Comrade" - and there are those of us who have tried to keep the Camaro community intact for many years. We've watched people try to divide and conquer. There are moderators on this site that work into the wee hours of the morning - so that we can have this place to come and talk about the Camaro. (..that's why it's called Camaro5 - ) There is nothing wrong with discussion from all sides- but that also means that one has to have an open mind - and perhaps I'm wrong - but it does not seem that you have an open mind about the ZL1.....again, perhaps I'm wrong.

Are you trying to divide this community???

If that's your purpose, then may I suggest that you might be happpier on another forum?

Divde the community? Everybody makes up their own minds and everybody expresses their own opinions. Just because I disagree with most on this site about the greatness of the ZL1 doesn't mean I should be silenced.
In my driveway sits a 01 Impala, 06 Corvette, 07 Silverado, and my 10 SS Camaro. My three kids all drive GM products. I've been driving GM products since I was 18. I have bought them when they were built like crap and I have had my share of good ones. When everybody was screaming, let GM go bankrupt I ordered my Camaro. I kept the faith, I preached to my kids, buy GM.
Now your asking me to lay out 55k of my hard earned money for a car that appears to be 2nd in it's class. For this amount of money I don't want 2nd, it's gotta be 1st. It's gotta be the baddest ass pony car out there. If you guys have to go back to the drawing board so be it. Like I said, I'll wait for the comparisons. I don't need anybody on this site telling me I don't intend to buy the ZL1, make it the "BEST" and I'll order one in a heartbeat. If not, I'll just buy another GM product.......... because GM is in my blood.
At least we can agree to disagree.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #120
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMagna View Post
I'm sorry I'm a Chevrolet guy but it is on the street and drag strip where 90% of the customers are going to have a chance to prove themselves in a straight line. 650 HP is a lot to overcome in a straight line not to mention its lighter.
1) Why would anyone have to prove themselves
2) There is ALWAYS someone faster
3) Traction is as much a factor as weight and horsepower
Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #121
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Dealer told me I got the 70th and final car and that's it for the year!
You are a diehard GM buyer, yet you don't know anything about SLP ZL1s?

Plus you kept telling us that a "little birdie" told you the ZL1 would be 45k... over and over and over...

Quote:
Even the diehards will cancel their orders for the ZL1. This car simply cannot compete with the GT.
How much Ya wanna bet?

Quote:
Maybe GM should pull the release on this car until they get it right
OK, you made your thoughts known. We can agree to disagree. Until you have something constructive to say, I wish you would cease gracing us with your wisdom.

Last edited by Scarrzz; 11-17-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #122
Blue Maro Demon

Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
Thanks for the letter Al! It's GREATLY APPRECIATED! We will see what happens with the Camaro ZL1 I have faith that it will be an awesome car and I also have faith that Chevrolet WILL respond to Fords new GT500. Me and alot of the other members here have gotten caught up in Fords new horsepower number BUT nothing will ever stop the Camaro from being my favorite car!
I have had more fun in my 2010 Camaro RS than ANY other car I have ever owned or driven for that matter! The memories I have had in my Camaro will last a lifetime! Chevrolet has always been in my bloodline from my grandfathers Drag Anglia "The Golden Angel" powered by Chevrolet, to my dads Chevrolet Manza Spyder drag car in the garage, and my Camaro!
Chevrolet Runs Deep in my family nothing will replace that!
Scott & AL I can't wait to see what is in store for the Camaro & the upcoming C7 Corvette!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #123
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Okay it is my opinion that postponing the ZL1 would be a horrible idea, and a waste of money that GM can't afford, and demoralizing to the folks who spent time and effort bringing this car to the market.

Can you imagine what the diehard Ford fans would say if the ZL1 gave up before the two could even be independently tested? Conceding the victory without even trying? Even if the GT500 edges out the ZL1, that is a far better fate than completely rolling over to a competitor.

Then consider how the rest of the automotive community would view this. Or imagine when the government and taxpayers (who typically aren't auto enthusiasts) read how GM can develop a high-performance car like the ZL1 in this economy, and then simply decide to back-out and spend more on R&D; which would effectively put them over budget and behind schedule after GM recieved bailouts.

The ZL1 is coming and so is the 2013 GT500, and I honestly am riveted to my seat to see the outcome.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 11-17-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #124
ZLone

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1,63 split-win, Diablo 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity, how do you know that GM did not anticipate that Ford would announce a 650 hp GT500 during the Los Angeles Auto Show?

Those that work at GM have been around the block before, and do understand the competitive nature of the business.

Exactly the point I made (see below) in another thread here in the ZL forum.

Noodle on this for a minute or 2 ...

Whose to say GM didn't know the GT650 was coming out? Maybe this was their attempt to rush the ZL1 out to semi counter what Ford was going to do yesterday?

This might explain a 1/2 year production run and a portly ZL1 because there wasn't time to put in the "really cool" ( more carbon fiber, Titanium and lighter alloys, magnesium) bits. Was it a coincidence of the timing of the GM & Ford announcements, I think not! I for one would rather spend my GGT money on cooler stuff in the car rather then get nothing for my money. $2600 divided by 270 lbs (delta between GT 650 & ZL1 and charging customers GGT and not) a little shy of $10 a pound! With a little extra time and the equivalent of the GGT money do you think GM Eng. could have dropped the weight and not subjected buyers to GGT? Or will the future models have the "cool stuff" added and see GM trade the GGT for higher MSRP for the added goodies they may even get an award or two for going GREEN on a ZL1 ?

I'd feel a whole lot better about getting and paying for extra "goodies" to lower weight rather then blow cash/GGT on nothing in return !

Who still has an interest and stake hold in GM, oh yeah the guys getting the GGT funds... hummm
Old 11-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #125
ZLone

Quote:
Personally I'd prefer to have the option to not have the added weight and expense of things you don't need. If you're never going to twisty track your car you really have no need for a diff cooler. Most of these cars (both GT500 and ZL1) are never going to see VIR, they're going to be street cars and some with occasional trips to the drag strip. Saving 6 or so grand and not paying for stuff you don't really need or care about seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Then buy an LT/SS and tweak as required or a FORD. The ZL package assures a min level driving experience/equipment level (balance) that GM doesn't want to allow folks/customers to carve up thus allowing the buyer to "screw up" the balance and experience. The "package" seems to be intricate & integrated set of systems and sub-systems working harmoniously rather then 1 from "column A " 4 from "column B", 2 from a friend then hang them off and attach as best u can and call it "done" or balanced (NOT) It took me 2 days of research to start to understand the difference and varied approaches.

Best
Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #126
ZLone

Quote:
Driving at 9/10ths on "twisty (public) roads" is stupid and irresponsible and is going to end up putting you in the ditch or a curb or a guard rail.

If you're driving on public roads such that you need a diff cooler, you're a d!ck.

Agree. I ride motorcycles as well and love most all cars they all do something a little different and beautiful in there own ways whether their GM/Ford/Mopar or Euro etc. It really "just that kinda day to drive/ride x" or set out with a particular purpose.

I found with myself that when I'm out on the roads, being a dick that is the cue for me to take " it " back to the track typically every 6 months, I'm overdue There I get my yah yahs out and find when I'm back out on the street that I'm much more cooler headed, patient and all around better attitude. In between track days (we have some of the best roads in the country around here) and if I do hit the streets I try and make sure to get up and out early in the morning before the traffic, bikes, little kids chasing tennis balls into the roads and or stray domestic & wild animals hit the roads

Closed Thread