Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #99
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Personally I am not pulling any fuses. My car however will remain stock and will be autoxed on street legal tires. They want to deny my warranty for that, good luck because I will go with a lawyer as many of them take cases like this with a "paid x % if won" contract.
I would think that it's less likely to happen on an autocross, but on road courses you have rumble strips and curbing, and on occasion you may slide off into the dirt and hit a hard bump. So for road courses, highly recommend popping the fuse out. You can put it back in when you're done, just disconnect the battery before replacing the fuse (not sure if that's necessary, but I've been told to do so)
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #100
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Well the scans were too big to upload as a ZIP file, so here's the breakdown:

X50A fuse block
F17UA -ign run relay
F18YA -ign run relay
X51A fuse block
F3DA - B+ power
F23DA - Passenger presence
While fuse F3 seems to be the one that actually powers the SDM, the service manual stated to remove all fuses while servicing the SIR system.

el ess A, I thought about doing what you said and leaving the new air bags out until I quit racing. But I do use this car on the street and drive family and friends in it. Knowingly having the SIR system disabled with others in the car was not a good idea. I had a "friend" attempt to sue me and my insurance for an accident not caused by me. His lawyer tried to say my brakes were bad because it was an older car. Some dipshit kid made a left turn right in front of us and we went into a ditch. Needless to say, that has stayed with me when the thought of being sued because I defeated the air bag system when a passenger was in the car. Not only will a lawyer have a field day with that in court, it's illegal to disable/modify the air bag system per our government. I found this out while researching trying to make a case for my mishap. You have to request permission to do so, for example if you're handicapped and the steering wheel air bag could harm you because of your disability.

Needless to say, this is all at your risk. I'm not endorsing anything regarding modifying/disabling the SIR system for anyone. Leave your car alone. Now go race.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #101
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I would think that it's less likely to happen on an autocross, but on road courses you have rumble strips and curbing, and on occasion you may slide off into the dirt and hit a hard bump. So for road courses, highly recommend popping the fuse out. You can put it back in when you're done, just disconnect the battery before replacing the fuse (not sure if that's necessary, but I've been told to do so)
Hm I actually disagree and believe the quick transitions involved in a typical autox will be more likely to spike Gs. If you watch that silver camaro blow the curtains it happened right as the car transitioned from left to right.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #102
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbambino22 View Post
You didn't contribute anything. The OP came clean so worry about what he says instead of "picking" what to respond to. The OP had the questions
Read the thread...epic

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #103
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
This is a great deal of info,and obviously im concerned.My car is 100% stock,except for CAI.I just did Willow last weekend,but wasn't on our Goodyear F1's,i was on the standard Pirellies that come on the Camaro.Both Willow and Fontana are my home tracks,which i raced my bike on.So i know these tracks intimately,and when i did Fontana a couple months back,i drove it like a Formula1 car,and guaranty it couldn't of been driven any faster,or harder.Thankfully all is good,so with this info,does it seem that we are safe,or was i just lucky?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #104
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
I'd personally like to hear input from someone at gm on this. Fbodfather maybe? I'm a little surprised my curb incident didn't set these bags off after reading this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #105
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Good enough for me. Like I said, personally I will not be pulling any fuses.
I am not on race tires yet so I will most likely leave mine alone as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
I'd personally like to hear input from someone at gm on this. Fbodfather maybe? I'm a little surprised my curb incident didn't set these bags off after reading this.
Don't hold your breath.....Because America is lawsuit happy there is not a chance that anyone from GM would make a statement on a forum about the SRS or any other safety system.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #106
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I would have to agree with Dropspeed! Im pretty sure this 1LE couldn't of been driven any harder,or faster too.
http://www.camaro5.com/camaro-1le-la...s-302-video-2/
I also know when i ran Laguna seca back in march,although it was my 1st time there,i was on my game as well. I had telemetry on my car,and i know that in #6 the G-force went past 1.5
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #107
Orange Crush 1LE

Hopefully as Dropspeed said, it's less of an issue for the 2013s. The guy that I talked with races Camaros and was instructing a student on a road course, says he didn't hit anything jarring and poof the bag went off. So we walked up to my car and yanked the fuse to be safe. I don't know if his Camaros are 2013s (he has two).

On my next outing I will be running Hoosier A6s, a wing and a splitter, so I'll be seeing some high speed and high G's. I'm also getting a quote on a roll bar and 6 point harness too, so once they're installed I'll be less concerned with needing airbags in the event of a hard crash.

I think it's an individual decision, each person needs to decide for themself. Definitely pros and cons either way.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #108
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Anyone have any connections at the Bob Bondurant school in Phoenix? They are running 1LE's in their school, wonder what they do as far as airbags are concerned.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #109
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Anyone have any connections at the Bob Bondurant school in Phoenix? They are running 1LE's in their school, wonder what they do as far as airbags are concerned.
That's an excellent question. Ron Fellows Corvette School also has a few 1LEs that the instructors use. I know the guys there, I'll contact them and ask.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #110
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I have was feeling they have enough money to not worry about it until it happens which may likely be never.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #111
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I have was feeling they have enough money to not worry about it until it happens which may likely be never.
From a cost perspective, you are probably right. But I would be more concerned of a student driving the car, having the bag pop and then lose control of the car. These guys are big on safety, they don't want anyone to get hurt. They know the airbags could pop inadvertently and that could end up hurting someone. My bet is they pull the fuses and/or remove the airbags.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #112
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
This type of topic is really why everyone should be opting for some type of track insurance. To me track insurance is like a helmet, an absolute must
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote