Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
fnhowe84

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels M6 & 2010 1LE V6 M6
Rear deck speakers

anyone say F*CK it and cut the rear speakers out and undermount new ones back?

its really tempting knowing what it takes to get them out
Old 07-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Getting to the rear speakers isn't really that difficult. Just takes a little time. Need to remove the rear seat, side panels, C pillar trim and rear shelf cover.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
I have two 12" subs underhung there!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
I didn't think it was that big of a deal to remove the trim to install speakers. It was a great opportunity to add sound deadener. Happier with the deadener than the sound of the speakers. Of course with cam and SC running through Long Tubes without cats, the car makes a fair amount of noise The rear deadener helped a lot.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have 12 amps and 7, 22" subs on my rear deck. It all fit without any mods. I'm planning on adding 16 amps to the doors with 6, 18" subs. I think the stock head unit can drive them all.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:54 AM   #6
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Wasn't to bad but sucked doing it in middle of Florida summer. Like guy above, I took the time to add some sound deadner
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
Liltroy

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Little video I just made outlining removing the rear speakers

Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
I had mine done but now Im wondering what they did incorrectly. It seems the rear deck sits higher than it use to with the new speakers. The third brake light isnt in the same spot as it was before since the tint was cut around it initially and now its sitting above it. It now touches the back glass and rattles because of it. Is this normal because the new speakers or did they reinstall it wrong?
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
I had mine done but now Im wondering what they did incorrectly. It seems the rear deck sits higher than it use to with the new speakers. The third brake light isnt in the same spot as it was before since the tint was cut around it initially and now its sitting above it. It now touches the back glass and rattles because of it. Is this normal because the new speakers or did they reinstall it wrong?
Sounds like it was reinstalled incorrectly. What you describe is what will happen if the retaining clips aren't lined up with the holes they're supposed to snap into. You should be able to verify that they are aligned and properly fastened front the bottom of the rear shelf from inside the trunk.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Liltroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
sounds like maybe they didnt get the clips popped back in that hold the rear deck down. Thats my guess.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
byrds8

Is there an easy way to try and fix this without having to take this apart? I really do not want to take it back to these guys. It took them 11 hours to install the 6x9s sub and 2 amps. They screwed half that up and had to take it back and still isnt right. Its still buzzing when the lights are on and they werent very interested in fixing that either. Sooo if its something I can do I will so I dont have to put more money into it. I tried pushing on it slightly but it didnt really seem to want to move.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Liltroy

look at the rear deck from underneath in the trunk and see if you can see the four little blue clips sticking down through the squares holes. If not, then they didnt align it and get it clipped don all the way and you may have to take everything back apart to line it all up. I just hope they didnt try to force it and break anything.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Liltroy

I tried to upload a picture of the clips but I cant figure out how to do it but there are four of them kinda in the middle of the rear deck. They're blueish purple color and if seated properly they should be poking through the metal in your rear deck. If not then they are whats holding it from fully seating most likely.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
byrds8

I saw clips that looked kinda different. Metal I believe. 3 are there looks like one is broken off Id assume since its not coming through and its the one near the back seat. However of the three there 2 are all the way in and 1 will not stay in. It pops back out like something is putting pressure on it. Even pushing on it though pushing it down does not set the third break light in the tint cut out like it was before. I wish I would not have taken it to who I did now. Everyone and their momma said oh yeah these guys are the best around blah blah. Doesnt appear to be so since I keep finding crap they jacked up.