Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #113
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I replaced my aftermarket endlinks with the stockers, thanks to axis for sending me a pass side OE link, and all my squeeks and clunking noises are GONE! Between the endlinks and the strut tower toilet mod I am now a happy camper! I'll probably leave my stock endlinks and toilet seal on for a while, not doing any racing! I'm tuned in here to see if there is any true fix from GM on the strut noise!
Glad it worked out for you.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #114
FTLBS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black w/ Silver Stripes
Bringing mine to the dealer next week

I have an appointment at Flemington Chevrolet in NJ where I bought the car new about a month ago. My pop/clunk/rattle started at 400 miles, right after my PA inspection. I'm starting to think that when the car was on the lift with all the suspension hanging down the coil spring became unseated in the isolator. We'll see, but I can not live with this noise. I will invoke the lemon law eventually if they can not fix it.
FTLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #115
66GTO

Drives: LT RS Automatic
Subscribed.
66GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #116
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLBS View Post
I have an appointment at Flemington Chevrolet in NJ where I bought the car new about a month ago. My pop/clunk/rattle started at 400 miles, right after my PA inspection. I'm starting to think that when the car was on the lift with all the suspension hanging down the coil spring became unseated in the isolator. We'll see, but I can not live with this noise. I will invoke the lemon law eventually if they can not fix it.
Keep us updated
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #117
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I've got this problem, too. My passenger side header was tapping against the subframe. Got it fixed, and this noise continues. Didn't have a clue what it could be until I found your thread. Gonna buy the rubber gaskets this weekend, but frankly I'd rather see Chevy release a fix. You said it at the beginning. For a $40K + automobile with a long period of development, there shouldn't be annoying issues like this... Thanks for the fix.

Come on Chevy, give us a fix for this.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #118
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Lifting a 5th Gen with OE coils will NOT unseat the coil, not one bit.

Here is my check list for a 5th Gen with OE coils and a noise in the front suspension.

1. Check that the endlink nuts are tight to GM spec.
2. Check the nuts on the ball joints in the knuckle to verify they are to GM spec.
3. Check the clevis bolts to be tight to GM spec.
4. Check the radius arm bolts to be tight to GM spec.
5. Check the lower inner LCA bolt to be tight to GM spec.
6. Remove the retaining plate on each strut. Burp the exposed nut with a rattle gun. Reinstall the the strut retaining nut with the same rattle gun.
7. Inspect the upper coil insulator. If it is black rubber, replace it with the update steel and urethane version.
8. If the noise persists, get out the chassis ears and isolate the noise for repair.

If it were my personal 5th Gen, My spec would be German. GUDENTIGHT with a couple of extra grunts.

You may want to print this and take it to the Dealer.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #119
Camarowguy

I wouldn't tighten the nut. My rattle was barely audible until I did that. Chassis ears got me in the area, but I still haven't pin pointed it yet. I'm thinking it is the end link. I'll know more maybe after this weekend.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #120
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
where is denham springs?
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #121
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Lifting a 5th Gen with OE coils will NOT unseat the coil, not one bit.

Here is my check list for a 5th Gen with OE coils and a noise in the front suspension.

1. Check that the endlink nuts are tight to GM spec.
2. Check the nuts on the ball joints in the knuckle to verify they are to GM spec.
3. Check the clevis bolts to be tight to GM spec.
4. Check the radius arm bolts to be tight to GM spec.
5. Check the lower inner LCA bolt to be tight to GM spec.
6. Remove the retaining plate on each strut. Burp the exposed nut with a rattle gun. Reinstall the the strut retaining nut with the same rattle gun.
7. Inspect the upper coil insulator. If it is black rubber, replace it with the update steel and urethane version.
8. If the noise persists, get out the chassis ears and isolate the noise for repair.

If it were my personal 5th Gen, My spec would be German. GUDENTIGHT with a couple of extra grunts.

You may want to print this and take it to the Dealer.
THIS^^^^!!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #122
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
where is denham springs?
Next to baton rouge Louisiana.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #123
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Like the rest, let us know how things go for you with your dealership. I'd like to do what I can to help you out.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #124
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Listen to Pete, print out that post and bring it in to your local dealer.

you might want to consider a dealer that is more experienced with the performance market too, if you can't get it taken care of locally, Brian Harris is about 1.5 hours from you, just a thought that might help.

Brian Harris Buick GMC Pontiac Mazda
293 Howze Beach Road
Slidell, LA 70461

Ph: 800.773.0831
williams@brianharrisslidell.com
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #125
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
I wouldn't tighten the nut. My rattle was barely audible until I did that. Chassis ears got me in the area, but I still haven't pin pointed it yet. I'm thinking it is the end link. I'll know more maybe after this weekend.
Loose parts make noise. Tight parts do not. The strut assembly bolts have to be tight. If you tighten a bolt and the noise increases, that tells you there is another issue. What needs to be done is we drill down and find the source of the noise.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #126
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Loose parts make noise. Tight parts do not. The strut assembly bolts have to be tight. If you tighten a bolt and the noise increases, that tells you there is another issue. What needs to be done is we drill down and find the source of the noise.
I agree. I have another vehicle to drive now so the Camaro is sitting until I get back from vacation. I'll take some time to figure it out then. My strut nut wasnt really loose per se, but I did get it to move a 1/4" with my impact. I gave since retorqued them with a torque wrench. I still think it's a bad end link.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo