Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
BoomerandBoozer

Drives: G35, had '87 & '93 Z28
Mid-Life Crisis

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I'm starting to get very tired of people (mainly at work) telling me that I'm having a mid-life crisis by getting this car. I started thinking about this the other day and realized something interesting. I'm 44 and have owned a car for 22 years (Kinda late, but my dad wouldn't let me buy a car (new or used) until I graduated college, he said if I could afford my own car, I could afford to pay for college, of course I couldn't afford college and was lucky enough to have him pay, he was a military man and definitely lived by the premise - if you live in my house, you live by my rules). Of those 22 years, I have owned a Z28 for 10 of them, my first car was a '87, loved it, had it for 6 years until it was stolen, found in Newark crashed into a fence on fire, just handed over the title to the tow company. Thought I would grow up a little and bought a Trailblazer, hated it and when the 4th gen came out, just had to have one, got a green Z28 with t-tops, totally loved it. Had for 4 years or so, then decided to get married, my wife was working far from home, she had a lease vehicle that couldn't absorb the miles and I didn't want her driving my Z28 in bad weather for that long a trip. So I traded that car in for a sedan with front wheel drive. So it has been about 10 years without driving one, kids are now in the picture and yes I've gotten older and you may even say that i'm in mid-life, but I don't think it's a mid-life crisis, I think it's been a life-long passion.

So hopefully by Labor Day, my '10 ABM 2SS shows up so I can begin my crisis, cause it will be the best crisis I've ever been through.
BoomerandBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Yeah, 46 here and had a few people tell me I'm going through mid life crisi also. Told them to kiss my @$$. My 5th Gen is on order I'm driving a 93 Z28 right now and have been for the last 16 years. This will be my 4th camaro and about 6th for muscle cars. So I guess my mid life crisis has been going on since I was 17. Drive what you want and don't pay any attention to the negative people.
Sword5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
I'm 40 and hubby is 44. I guess I've been having a mid-life crisis since I was 21. Owned 2 Camaros, 1 Firebird, 1 Supercharged Monte Carlo SS, and recently a Dodge Charger R/T. They are just jealous because they can't have a "mid-life crisis" too.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
My only midlife crisis is this wait

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
I agree, tjbusa! The wait is going to kill me and we just ordered ours.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
I'm 25, soon to be 26 next month, and I'm getting the same crap at work also. I'm always getting asked if it's a midlife crisis vehicle, etc.

Edit -

I've always lived under the premise of, if you can afford it, buy it. I'd rather have my car paid off in 5 years and enjoying it, then driving a POS car I hate, shelling out a lot of money just to keep it going.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I am 46 and will take it as my midlife crisis. My wife and kids think I am nuts. I hand wash my car every Saturday morning. Got the car around the first of May and have put her second coat of Maquires Spray wax on her. The other washes I use there detailer spray when done with her.

I wash her anytime at the spray car wash when she gets dusty or bird poop. And everynight I clean all the bugs off the front of her with Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. I even have her own fund setup that I put advertising money that comes from a Canadian company into. Got over 4K saved up for tires and any upgrades down the road. Unless of coarse the cancer bills eat everything else we have up then it will be gone also :(

I love my car.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
First of all, 40 something is no longer mid-life. 50-something is (that's where I am).

Secondly, there is something about these cars that is just so compelling that I don't think it has anything to do with mid-life crises. I was 17 in 1969 when two of my buddies got Z/28s. One of them was totaled in my front yard late one night (friend was banging gears and missed the curve in front of my house.) I will never forget the pain I felt when I saw that beautiful six month old car in a mangled pile in my yard. I've wanted Z/28s ever since. Now I have two 69s, one is the identical model (including color) to the one totaled in my yard so many years ago. The problem with the 69s is that you can't drive them to work every day. So, GM comes along and introduces the 2010. Now I can have one to drive every day. I don't' consider it a mid-life crisis. I consider it a dream come true.
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
When I think of midlife crisis I think of a man between 50-55 with older kids that's been living the boring life for 20-25 years and feels that owning a Corvette is going to change everything.

If you're 25-26 you definitely shouldn't be experiencing this.

And if you're in your 40s or 50s and have been passionate about these cars for many years, that doesn't qualify you. Let the people making remarks continue to enjoy their boring lives. Just be sure to wave as you pass them in the fast lane.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
z28mass
z28 mass

Drives: 4 gen of camaros, 2012 ZL1 vin#1499
I am 46 and camaros have been part of my life since 18. I now have 4 and love it. People critisize me all the time for having all these camaros and they ask why? 2 reasons: because I want and can, get off my back.
These are the 4 I have. 1981 BlackZ28 all original w/11,689 miles, 1981 Berlinetta (my first car) 1989 IrocZ 5.7 and now the Inferno Orange Metallic SS2/RS.
here is a picture of 2 together
Attached Images

z28mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
I've wanted a Camaro ever since they came out in '67 - so I guess I've been in my mid-life crisis for 42 years! All my friends have been surprised as heck when they've find out - and then they congratulate me and tell me I deserve it. Being a military mom (and usually without the funds or garage for a classic in the 21 places we've lived) this ride is a luxury for me and my family - and a statement that we believe in GM and the strength of the nation as a whole.

Live your American dream, folks, and be safe driving it.

And Scott@Bjorn3D - don't you for one minute think that the folks on this forum would let you lose your car without a fight if worse comes to worse. You've got more friends here than you know pulling for Stephanie and your family.
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
BoomerandBoozer

Drives: G35, had '87 & '93 Z28
Love the 2nd Gen and that Z28 is hot, actually loved the TransAm with the Screamin Chicken better though
BoomerandBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
48 and I drive 130 miles a day. Some at work think I'm having a mid life crisis but it was my wife that wanted me to get it. This is the third Camaro I've owned. I had a Vette too and my wife had a Firebird.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I get the same thing, who cares, they are just jealous.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote