Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
So does a Bentley deserve an unscratched paint job anymore than a Chevy??? I would think that if you kindly ask your dealer not to. They will respect their customers wishes and there should be no problems.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
Danno

Drives: 1993 Trans Am, 2007 Acadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutdanny View Post
where I've seen Aston Martin's, Bentley's and such run thru. C'mon guys, it's a Chevy.
Does buying a Bentley infuse you with special knowledge of what automated washes do not scratch the hell out of cars? Or is it that buying a chevy makes it so scratches are more acceptable and visually pleasing to the eye?

90% of all car owners have no idea what improper washing material does to their finish, nor will they ever even notice the scratches. The other 10%, us enthusiasts, and we DO care, no matter what kind of car. Just because some schmuck can drive his Mercedes through an auto car wash doesn't mean that the car wash is any less damaging.

And yes, to each his own. If you're not one of the OCD 10% who labors over the differences between Adam's, Klasse, Zymol, and Zaino, then you're probably well served by using auto washes and letting the dealer get his nasty little made-in-china, dirt encrusted poly cotton wash mits on your finish, because the tiny little scratches aren't something you'd notice or care about.

previous cars, starting with my first.
1970 Nova
1967 RS/SS Camaro
1969 Chevelle
1970.5 Camaro
A long, undistinguished line of sedans, SUV's, and minivans.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Good luck. Someone has to put fluids in it and make sure everything is in order. Not to mention test drive it. Hope it works out for you.
I have agreement that i'll be doing most of it and there to monitor when it is done.. I know the people at the dealership very well so they are working with me. I can verify this because i'll be there when it is unloaded from the truck

All it takes is getting to know the dealership people and have respect for one another... isn't that big of a challenge...

Quote:
To each his own? I'm taking mine to the automated wash. Not the gas station wash but a local chain here in town where I've seen Aston Martin's, Bentley's and such run thru. C'mon guys, it's a Chevy.
When I drop $40k into something I have enough respect for it to take care of it. I take care of the things I own unlike some people do.. are you the type that has McDonalds bags and cups and empty cigarette packages in the back seat of all your cars?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
bcudm

Drives: 2010 camaro 1LT RJT
I would be interested in knowing the best way to wash my car... I hand wash my car but it is nothing special... I would specifically be interested in what to avoid and how to best keep the finish of the car pristine..
bcudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
i resepect my car and do not want scrathes, using clean sponges/brushes, drying and washing only one way, waxing multiple times, etc. But theres a point, and I guess that point is OCD. I dont think dealers are going to want to send out beat up cars either
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Danno

Drives: 1993 Trans Am, 2007 Acadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcudm View Post
I would be interested in knowing the best way to wash my car... I hand wash my car but it is nothing special... I would specifically be interested in what to avoid and how to best keep the finish of the car pristine..
http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.php
http://www.autopia.org/publish/categ...-To-Detailing/

Keep in mind the autopia people are WAY beyond normal users. The folks on that forum are car care zealots. You can be shot, banned, and burned in effigy for mentioning automatic washes or turtle wax there.

previous cars, starting with my first.
1970 Nova
1967 RS/SS Camaro
1969 Chevelle
1970.5 Camaro
A long, undistinguished line of sedans, SUV's, and minivans.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
This was one of the major benefits of dealing with a smaller reputible dealer. They aren't moving massive volumes of vehicles out the door.

As a result, they did a very nice hand wash and wax job on my baby.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #22
Kvapil28

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
We hand wash and wax every car unless the customer doesn't want us to. It's up to them but my detailers are awesome. We use only the best products here. We don't even have a car wash so the guys have to do it right..

Last edited by Kvapil28; 05-27-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Kvapil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
Quote:
Check out the Cosmetic Maintenance forum. Good stuff over there.
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
I buy a new sponge every time I wash my car... Also use microfiber waffle towel for drying which gets washed after every use. Typically I wax every 3 - 4 washes and usually wash twice a month. NEVER do the swirl wax on wax off technique, straight horizontal strokes the entire length of the panel, back and forth, let wax setup and remove with clean microfiber towel. Claybar maybe once a year in the spring if it looks like it needs it. All rubber gets cleaned and treated to a clean finish and if I use tire shine, it is applied very lightly while the tire is still somewhat wet from the wash for that nice clean new tire look NEVER greasy-glossy to the point where the tire shine splatters all over your paint when you reach 25mph....

I think everyone needs to own a black car once to learn how to properly wash a car, if not done right you might as well have left it dirty...

Just my 2 cents
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #25
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
I buy a new sponge every time I wash my car... Also use microfiber waffle towel for drying which gets washed after every use. Typically I wax every 3 - 4 washes and usually wash twice a month. NEVER do the swirl wax on wax off technique, straight horizontal strokes the entire length of the panel, back and forth, let wax setup and remove with clean microfiber towel. Claybar maybe once a year in the spring if it looks like it needs it. All rubber gets cleaned and treated to a clean finish and if I use tire shine, it is applied very lightly while the tire is still somewhat wet from the wash for that nice clean new tire look NEVER greasy-glossy to the point where the tire shine splatters all over your paint when you reach 25mph....

I think everyone needs to own a black car once to learn how to properly wash a car, if not done right you might as well have left it dirty...

Just my 2 cents

dang scrappy, sounds like labor intensive love for a vehicle. I like to keep mine clean but can honestly say I probably will never devote this kind of love to my ride. Cudos for you though.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #26
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I use microfibre towel for everything. Wash, dry, wax application and wax removal and buff. I have a ton of them so after I get a pile, I'll send them through a heavy duty wash cycle with no soap to get all the car soap out and then 2 more heavy duty cycles with detergent and an extra rinse. Takes awhile but I want to make sure I have any little bit of grit or dirt out of them before I use them again. So far so good.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #27
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
no washing tools, scrubby brushes....none of that. Just good ole' hand-wash job!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #28
donutdanny

Drives: '13 E63, '14 Jeep GC SRT, '14 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
Like you said to each his own,If that is what works for you great,but the c'mon guys it's a chevy it's like your saying the car is not special which to many the car is and taking care of the paint is important when it comes to personal pride or if you decide to sell it in the future
I meant no disrespect. Hell, I waited 7 months for this car. I love it. But also like Danno stated "90% of all car owners have no idea what improper washing material does to their finish, nor will they ever even notice the scratches." And yes I've used Zaino before. It works very well. It's just very labor intensive. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a lot people will take the time and effort that Danno will take to care for their car. Like he said, he's in the 10%. Which is good, I commend him. I would recommend Zaino to anyone, but only if you have the time to do it right.
donutdanny is offline   Reply With Quote