Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Jepp, Chrylser, Dodge: No more leasing of new vehicles starting 8/1/08!

Some of you may have heard that as of 8/1/08, Chrysler will not be leasing their vehicles anymore through their primary bank. You will still be able to lease the vehicles, but you'd have to go through a third party bank which means the rates and residuals will be through the roof. As it turns out, the same dude who owns Chrysler owns 51% of GMAC (GM retains the other 49%). This could spell the end of leasing for us as well! The problem banks have with leasing right now is that they are losing their a$$es (pardon my language) once the leases are up and they try to sell the lease returns via auction.
The pre-owned truck market is in a slump right now and a truck or SUV that may have been worth $25,000 a year ago at lease end is worth $15,000 in todays market. Granted gas is going down, and our economy can't stay this way forever, but the banks are tightening up on what they are putting on the road. Rates are going up and residuals are getting lower, so leases are starting to not make sense anymore.
What does this mean for GM you ask? I don't know the national average or anything, but at my dealership about 35% of all new cars and trucks that we sell are leases. If the national average is anywhere near that, GM could be in trouble if we lose our ability to lease vehicles.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
leases are starting to not make sense anymore.
They never made sense to me in the first place
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
Some of you may have heard that as of 8/1/08, Chrysler will not be leasing their vehicles anymore through their primary bank. You will still be able to lease the vehicles, but you'd have to go through a third party bank which means the rates and residuals will be through the roof. As it turns out, the same dude who owns Chrysler owns 51% of GMAC (GM retains the other 49%). This could spell the end of leasing for us as well! The problem banks have with leasing right now is that they are losing their a$$es (pardon my language) once the leases are up and they try to sell the lease returns via auction.
The pre-owned truck market is in a slump right now and a truck or SUV that may have been worth $25,000 a year ago at lease end is worth $15,000 in todays market. Granted gas is going down, and our economy can't stay this way forever, but the banks are tightening up on what they are putting on the road. Rates are going up and residuals are getting lower, so leases are starting to not make sense anymore.
What does this mean for GM you ask? I don't know the national average or anything, but at my dealership about 35% of all new cars and trucks that we sell are leases. If the national average is anywhere near that, GM could be in trouble if we lose our ability to lease vehicles.
I'm quite sure this would mean most people would lease from Toyota and Nissan in that case..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
It just means Chrysler will no longer finance the lease. Some other finance company will have to step in.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hmmm...and I was actually thinking about financing through GMAC on this one. IF....they could get lower than 4.4%
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote