Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
my friend just got a 5.0L heres my thoughts

its a nice car.... you for sure get more bang with your buck... its a litter faster and better handling then a stock camaro ss....

my friend and i sat down and gave our thoughts on both cars...

well they both look cool... we both agree that the camaro as a more appeal to it...

now we see the mustang as a sports/ muscle car...

we both agreed that the camaro is more of a muscle car, and more BA...

the interior of the mustang feels like a normal sports car, i love the 6 speed shift knob..

now the camaro, for sure as a more BA interior, but with all of that visible issue, its makes it not good for the track,,, but that camaro is not a track car anyways so its fine...

looking at the numbers the mustang is a better deal.. but the camaro is just a "cooler" car
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackout_Camaro View Post
opinion, check the forum you're on
Opinion... Let the dude have his opinion, regardless of him being on the Camaro5 forum. Unless you meant that this post should be in the Camaro vs... section. In which case, I agree.

I happen to agree with him. The Mustang's numbers are better. It's hard to argue that. But you can't quantify "cool." And the Camaro is exactly that. Cool.

Some folks like Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, and even Chargers. But the honest to God truth is they are all cool cars. And we would all be lucky to drive any one of them. PC? Yes. Truthful. I think so, too.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
The OP has a Camaro. He was just simply stating that his friend got a new 5.0, and was offering his first hand comparison of the two vehicles. I still pretty much got from his post that he still loves the Camaro!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
A buddy of mine also bought a new 5.0 over the Camaro. When he drove the 5.0 it threw you back harder, which I will say that the Camaro doesn't feel that fast but I know it is and can see when I floor it how quickly the speedo goes up. But the feeling is that it feels weaker then it should. However, I am use to sport bikes which pretty much no car could ever come close in competing on the acceleration.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
Opinion... Let the dude have his opinion, regardless of him being on the Camaro5 forum. Unless you meant that this post should be in the Camaro vs... section. In which case, I agree.

I happen to agree with him. The Mustang's numbers are better. It's hard to argue that. But you can't quantify "cool." And the Camaro is exactly that. Cool.

Some folks like Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, and even Chargers. But the honest to God truth is they are all cool cars. And we would all be lucky to drive any one of them. PC? Yes. Truthful. I think so, too.
I disagree. When you look at what you have to spend in options to get a mustang to perform at the level of a 1SS the camaro is a much better deal. Want the stang to be as fast gotta have the 3.73s. Wanna be able to stop? Gotta order the Brembos. A base GT is $30,495 a 1SS is $31,795. The GT's brembo option is $1695 which raises it's price to $32,190. On top of that if you want to swap out the standard 3.31's with the 3.55's or more likely the 3.73's it's another $395. Which brings it up to $32,585. Even then the Camaro and Mustang are neck and neck in the 1/4 mile. So if your talking getting into a V8 then sure you can get a stang cheaper but as for more bang for you buck the Camaro wins.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I disagree. When you look at what you have to spend in options to get a mustang to perform at the level of a 1SS the camaro is a much better deal. Want the stang to be as fast gotta have the 3.73s. Wanna be able to stop? Gotta order the Brembos. A base GT is $30,495 a 1SS is $31,795. The GT's brembo option is $1695 which raises it's price to $32,190. On top of that if you want to swap out the standard 3.31's with the 3.55's or more likely the 3.73's it's another $395. Which brings it up to $32,585. Even then the Camaro and Mustang are neck and neck in the 1/4 mile. So if your talking getting into a V8 then sure you can get a stang cheaper but as for more bang for you buck the Camaro wins.
Disagree on everything but the brakes. With the non-Brembo brakes on my GT they stop just as good as my SS with the Brembo's in every day driving. If I were tracking the car I would agree the Camaro Brembo's would be a better deal.

Regarding the gearing, the quickest/fastest stock Mustang GT is an auto running the 3.15 gear on the base 18" wheels and tires.

Even with the stock 3.31 in the manual, it is more aggressively geared than the Camaro. The 3.73 just = wheelspin.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
I think its probably more of a neck and neck race now. But I would have to agree it seems as if you have to add more to the stang in terms of money to make it equal the camaro. It will be interesting to see what they come out with next year in the camaro, will it be able to beat the stang? Next thing this is a price war now, GM cant have the camaro cost 4-5k more than the GT
Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I will say that I think the Camaro 2SS with the RS package is thousands cheaper then the new Mustang, with better specs. When I have priced out the new 5.0 I am always a few grand more then what I paid for my 2SS/RS. Plus I also now have a Kenwood nav system which I think is far better then the Ford Sync, and I still paid less. Plus the car came with bigger wheels, better brakes, etc...I think the new 5.0 looks good on the inside but for all around performance, it's not as good as the Camaro and doesn't look as cool.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
These two are so close it is not even funny.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Personally I like all cars, Chevy,Ford and Dodge. They all have good points and bad. The thing I do like about the Fords and Dodges is you have more of a choice when ordering new. IMO
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
The reasoning......

For me if all else were close to being equal in the battle of these two pony cars ( subjective preferments aside) this one feature is an absolute neccessity. It should be a required amenity in all modern sports or performance cars built to attract the masses, in order they hold any claim to that signature............

Quote:
Ford Mustang GT ............ -
Plastic steering wheel with tilt adjustment

Quote:
Chevrolet Camaro SS.............
Plastic steering wheel with tilt adjustment

Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
ZCT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS (IOM)
I don't own either, although I hope to rectify that later today.

I've driven the Mustang and the Camaro in my search for a new car. And personally, I think the Camaro wins by a mile in this race.

Apart from anything else, the Mustang is clearly a Mustang. Same old, same old. Sure, we've seen some body changes over the years, but nothing major. It still just looks along the same lines as the last years model, and the year before that. Ford finally ditched their crappy engines for 2011. But what you have is a common looking car, and you can't even throw a rock in a Walmart parking lot without hitting a Mustang made in the past five years.

On the other hand the Camaro has a unique and stunning look that really makes it stand out.

They have made the Mustang lighter, and it does feel a bit more nimble than the heavy Camaro. But with that said, the Camaro cruises better and seems to absorb pot holes better, for a smoother quieter ride.

The interior of the Mustang is also another disappointment for me. And I just hate that 1980s green LED display they have.

The salesman was showing me all the cool Microsoft Sync stuff, most of which a Camaro can do. And I couldn't help be distracted by the displays, that are not dissimilar to those in an old Explorer.

I've nothing against Ford, and I've not owned an American car in almost ten years. But for me the Mustang is nowhere near as striking to look at, and just doesn't feel as nice to drive.

When I told the Ford salesman I was shopping against a Camaro, he told me that he and his daddy before him had always been Ford men. That because the Government saved GM from bankruptcy, they were basically commie cars. When you have to resort to those kinds of arguments; you've already lost.

That's just my opinion. To each their own.
ZCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
StreetReporter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Black on Black
Coke vs. Pepsi
Chevy vs. Ford
Liberal vs. Conservative
Cocoa Crispies vs. Cocoa Puffs

So it was, so it is, so it will be for eternity.

BTW, Cocoa Crispies are the best.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I'll take the IRS in the new Camaro any 'ole day over the live axle in the Mustang. Put an IRS back into a Mustang like the '03 and '04 Cobras had and I'll start looking at them again.