Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #141
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
VR has had a flat filter for as long as I've been running one.

The oval filter is just a flat filter folded up to fit in a limited place

Seriously though, I'm not sure if you know how much time Jason has spent testing and tweaking to bring a different option that is a true performer, because he felt there had to be something better. On this subject I totally get where he is coming from.
This is the one I remember. It's most definitely a oval filter. Then again, ALL filters are panel filters molded in a different shape. I remember it well cause I asked how you get ram air when the air is hitting the closed side of the filter.

I see what Jason is doing. If you read the first page of this very thread, you'll see my post of his intake.

Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #142
OregonRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
replied to your pm.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #143
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I'm well aware of his test. My point was, if your engine flows X cfm and you have a panel filter that flows 10X cfm, then a cone that flowed 6X cfm, which one is going to produce better HP results? Both are flowing WELL over what the engine could use. Basically, at what point does the filter stop being the restriction? Somewhere along the line you have to start looking at design and not just at filter flow numbers.
Of course. I'm just glad to see someone with the interest, will, and resources to actually do some real world testing. And trust me, he hasn't just been testing filters during this process. I can't wait for this to get out to the initial testers. Why my interest? Because it takes a different approach that, so far, looks very promising.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #144
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Make one for a E-force supercharger and I'll test it for you!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #145
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
Cant wait for production to start! Definitely made up my mind on which intake I will be purchasing. Oh and bump so new forum members can see this.
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #146
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Are you making them to fit the 2012's with the new MAF?

Keep us posted on the contest.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #147
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post

There is no new MAF, no new ECM, no new nothing for 2012. It's BS spread by snake oil salesmen.

the only change in 2012 is a slightly relocated radiator fill cap.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #148
OregonRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
I know it's not a important as the performance end of it but what about the sound? I know that a lot of the intakes out there give the motors a nice growl when jumping on the gas, how is this one?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #149
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
There is no new MAF, no new ECM, no new nothing for 2012. It's BS spread by snake oil salesmen.

the only change in 2012 is a slightly relocated radiator fill cap.
I think he might be talking about the LFX? I think they got a different MAF vs the LLT for 10-11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRS View Post
I know it's not a important as the performance end of it but what about the sound? I know that a lot of the intakes out there give the motors a nice growl when jumping on the gas, how is this one?
It sounds great! Did you watch the videos?

The videos don't really do it justice, but it does still sound really cool on some good desktop speakers, but a lot of people comment to me on the video how they can't believe the change in sound from the stock run to the run w/ the JacFab intake.

Although I can't say exactly what it will make a v6 sound like, it makes the v8 sound like it should have right out of the factory. It's got a deeper/throatier/louder sound than any of the other intakes I have tried.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #150
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
I was Jason.

My '12 LS has the LFX engine in it and has the new MAF as all '12 V6 vehicles do.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #151
Jason@JacFab

V6 intakes are a ways down the road. I have an 11 LLT car lined up for v6 testing, and a line on a 12 LFX car I think I can also use. However, I need to get the v8 intakes finished up and rolling before I start on the v6 cars.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #152
Jason@JacFab

In an effort to make this thing as awesome as possible before it hits the streets I've come up with a better solution to beat the heat... I've constructed a prototype intake tube completely made of reinforced silicone. (If you want to skip all the science mumbo jumbo, and explanation of why I am testing this route, scroll down to the text under the red line)

Silicone rubber has a coefficient thermal conductivity rating of just 0.14-0.22 W/mk. What does this mean? Materials of low thermal conductivity are typically insulators, whereas materials with a higher thermal conductivity are typically used in where moving heat through the material is desirable (IE: heat sinks, frying pans, etc). It means that silicone rubber is essentially an insulator that will keep the hot engine compartment air out of your cold air intake tract. As a comparison, 6061-T6 aluminum (typical intake tube material) has a thermal conductivity rating 167 W/mk, and other alloys 100 - 220 W/mk, depending on the alloy.

While a thermal barrier coating (TBC) will surely help keep engine compartment heat out of the intake system (for a while). Most TBC's are comprised of multiple layers, the top most layer being a ceramic top coat that is typically composed of yttria-stabilized zirconia... Most typical TBC's have a thermal conductivity of 2.5-2.7 W/mk, which may vary depending on coating thickness, and the material composition of the TBC... Essentially the TBC is an insulator as well with it's fairly low thermal conductivity rating...

Heat conduction is the transfer of heat between two parts of a stationary system, caused by a temperature difference between the parts. IE: Hot engine compartment air will be transferred into the cooler side of the intake system via conduction. By its high thermally conductivie nature, an uncoated aluminum tube will let heat right into the intake tract via conduction. A TBC coating on the outside of the tube will slow the rate of heat transfer, but it will still get hot eventually (sitting in stop and go traffic, stop lights, etc). However on a tube that had been TBC coated on both the inside and the outside will keep more heat trapped in the tube material itself. Even though the tube is insulated on both sides, as the tube gets hotter from the heat being trapped inside the material between the insulated TBC coatings, it WILL let heat into the intake tract. As the tube becomes hotter the the more heat will be let through... Once the inner TBC gets hot, the intake air is forced to increase in temperature due to convection... Yeah, it's a TBC, but once it gets hot, it's hot. There is no escaping the heat.

While it is a better scenario than an uncoated aluminum tube allowing excess heat build up in at a very fast rate... It's still not optimal. Heat is the enemy, and ultimately, you cannot escape it. But you can avoid as much as possible by choosing the proper tube materials. Aluminum tubes are relatively cheap, and easy to manipulate/fabricate, etc, but it comes with its own downfalls in regards to heat transfer, whether it's coated or not.

The silicone tube is it's own insulator... Silicone on the inside, silicone on the outside, silicone in the middle. With it's extremely low thermal conductivity rating, it will keep the most heat possible out of the intake tract when without TBCs.

As I said, I have been running the first silicone intake tube on the car for over a week now... Driving, touching, testing... The longest test so far has been an hour of stop and go traffic including trips to UPS, the grocery store, stop lights, stop signs, etc... Upon reaching home I popped the hood and pulled the tube off... Even after an HOUR, the silicone tube is still just warm to the touch, and slightly cooler on the inside than the outside. I'm talking like luke warm water warm... Something I would be uncomfortable taking a shower in if it were coming out of my shower head. I've done this same test with aluminum tubes, coated inside and out aluminum tubes, plastics etc... NONE of them have stayed this cool, some even are so hot you can't even put your hand on them, or more importantly, INSIDE them comfortably.

I've been in contact with a company that makes custom silicone tubes, and they will be making the intake tubes for the JF cold air intake system.

Discuss.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-16-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #153
demonik

Drives: 2018 ZL1
This has got to be the most informative info from any type of individual or vendor on how and why something is being done, at each step.

You sir have a customer waiting in line.
demonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #154
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
nice!

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity