Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #71
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i believe after a local judge hears:
(1) dr jamie meyer of "gm performance parts" states in print that if you put a power adder on the lsx-454 you can make 1300 hp.

(2) dr jamie meyer states IN PERSON to jannetty racing its ok to put a supercharger on the lsx-454 to make our power goals.

...i'll get favorable ruling. i look forward to not only being made whole for the cost of the engine and labor, but the punitive damages.

i'll bet my new bentley on it!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #72
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
you know what I believe...if this go to the courts...

1. GM has better paid and better lawyers
2. They have a deeper pocketbook to take this out as long as they want.
3. Shit happens.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #73
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
fastfaster, sorry to read about your loss. It will cost GM more in the long run NOT to replace this for you from lost business from all the followers here that may have bought the same package.

There are a few people on this forum that would have bought the same engine you did for the same purpose (S/C'ing it)..
That's lost business if there is no hope of any warranty what so ever.

It would be different if you were driving it for some length of time IMHO. But to break on the dyno at a reputable shop and GM dropping it isn't right.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #74
coolman

I do find it funny that they have ads that claim the motor can handle much more than the OP was putting the motor through. I do believe a lawyer is in order here.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performan...0002/-1?CT=999
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #75
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Man...this totally sux....I had been watching your build and really thought it would come off as a no brainer. I assume you got the lsx454 crate with the 11:1 compression. Clearly nothing on the product description says power adders such as boost would work. It in fact appears to be a NA set up. Your written docs from Jamie should be all you need for them to cover it as you have no one else to depend on other than their employees.

I noticed that the lsx376 does say it is perfect for SC or Turbo applications but they have taken compression down to a very conservitive 9:1.

I still think the lsx block is a great block..Just need to build internals to match the boost or nitrous applications being put on it.

Shame on GM for not standing behind their staff.
Shame on builder for not knowing better than boosting a high compression NA set up.
This is exactly what pi$$es me off is all these folks throwing boost on a car and not telling us end users the potential problems when doing so on a NA set up.

Hopefully, Ted is taking some of the hit on this block. Glad you have a good attituded about all of this and your future build will be all the better for this experience.

You are and will be in my thoughts and I hope this all works out for you.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #76
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Man...this totally sux....I had been watching your build and really thought it would come off as a no brainer. I assume you got the lsx454 crate with the 11:1 compression. Clearly nothing on the product description says power adders such as boost would work. It in fact appears to be a NA set up. Your written docs from Jamie should be all you need for them to cover it as you have no one else to depend on other than their employees.

I noticed that the lsx376 does say it is perfect for SC or Turbo applications but they have taken compression down to a very conservitive 9:1.

I still think the lsx block is a great block..Just need to build internals to match the boost or nitrous applications being put on it.

Shame on GM for not standing behind their staff.
Shame on builder for not knowing better than boosting a high compression NA set up.
This is exactly what pi$$es me off is all these folks throwing boost on a car and not telling us end users the potential problems when doing so on a NA set up.

Hopefully, Ted is taking some of the hit on this block. Glad you have a good attituded about all of this and your future build will be all the better for this experience.

You are and will be in my thoughts and I hope this all works out for you.

Not a very fair post.

GM used this same motor in a boosted application that made far more power then what we were trying to make. Boost and Compression on race fuel is nothing out of the normal. Stock LS3's are in the mid 10ish compression range, we've made 750 RWHP with zero issues. There are claims all over the place saying the LSX 454 is more than capable than making 1200-1300 RWHP in a street car with forced induction.

This same LSX454 crate motor has been boosted by quite a few people. If you do a quick google search you will see.

The engine block failed. This wasn't a detonation issue caused by us. Yes we have a lost a ton on this job.

Also since we were running race fuel, The compression wasn't a big concern.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #77
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfaster View Post
i believe after a local judge hears:
(1) dr jamie meyer of "gm performance parts" states in print that if you put a power adder on the lsx-454 you can make 1300 hp.

(2) dr jamie meyer states IN PERSON to jannetty racing its ok to put a supercharger on the lsx-454 to make our power goals.

...i'll get favorable ruling. i look forward to not only being made whole for the cost of the engine and labor, but the punitive damages.

i'll bet my new bentley on it!
the 1st quote you have wont hold much weight. because the word "can" is an open-ended statement. he never said you "will" make 1300hp with a power adder.

the 2nd statement will be tricky to pull off as well cus just having Jamie saying "sure, you can do that" does not necessarily stand as a legal obligation from GM to cover any damage that could occur.

the biggest fight will most likely be trying to prove that the block itself was at fault, not the methods/parts used by the owner/builder.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #78
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
FastFaster - I would not drop this and GM is hoping that you will go away. I would start the legal process and take them to court. I bet by the time it gets to that point the will consider doing the right thing for you.

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #79
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I was looking around and saw people selling new LSX blocks for as low as $1650. That seems pretty cheap. I'm kind of shocked.

People are building these engines and that is way lower than I thought it would cost to get started.

This guy says this engine block can handle OVER 2000 horsepower---> (that seems exaggerated ?)

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=407464

if he never sold it, he might take even less for it ?

Good luck !
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #80
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
I was looking around and saw people selling new LSX blocks for as low as $1650. That seems pretty cheap. I'm kind of shocked.

People are building these engines and that is way lower than I thought it would cost to get started.

This guy says this engine block can handle OVER 2000 horsepower---> (that seems exaggerated ?)

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=407464

if he never sold it, he might take even less for it ?

Good luck !
The block by itself was originally priced at $2500.00

bare block
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #81
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There are some things that just aren't adding up. Aren't LSX blocks rated to like, 2000 FWHP?

I hope this works out, but there are still many more questions than answers.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #82
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
as the owner of the lsx-454 that is now scrap metal, i found that there is a lesson to be learned by all of this.
there are people and claims that simply can't be completely trusted. and more importantly, i learned who i can completely trust. that trusted person is ted at Jannetty Racing. ted and his staff have been stand-up people throughout this difficult time. they have stood by my side and made me a completely satisfied customer for life.

i cant wait till ted and his crew get their creative hands on my 6 second dragster.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #83
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Great attitude.....
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #84
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Not a very fair post.

GM used this same motor in a boosted application that made far more power then what we were trying to make. Boost and Compression on race fuel is nothing out of the normal. Stock LS3's are in the mid 10ish compression range, we've made 750 RWHP with zero issues. There are claims all over the place saying the LSX 454 is more than capable than making 1200-1300 RWHP in a street car with forced induction.

This same LSX454 crate motor has been boosted by quite a few people. If you do a quick google search you will see.

The engine block failed. This wasn't a detonation issue caused by us. Yes we have a lost a ton on this job.

Also since we were running race fuel, The compression wasn't a big concern.
Not intended to be you guys sole responsibility...just saying that it should be shared by all involved. Yes I have seen many built from the crate engine and have read about many being built from just the block. The ones built from the ground up usually are lower compression set ups if the are FI.

As I stated, I felt that GM should stand behind this based on the conversations and written docs you all had from GMPP. Although it clearly was in conflict with their written warrantee.

I am sure the fuel and delivery was not an issue causing detonation and damage to this cylinder wall. Problem being clearly is that once it was boosted they want to skate on it. Had this been just a stock 620HP install it might have let loose just the same and they would have had to cover it.

To some degree it is kind of like buying a ls3 and boosting it. Gm will not cover it. But buy the lsx376 designed for FI and they will cover it.
This motor, if it is the one I am thinking it is, lsx454 is a NA replacement motor not a FI motor per their specifications. Can it handle boost? From what I see it should be able to....Forged internals etc. Only thing I would have done different is gone with a piston that would have reduced compression. Power loss would have been more than made up with boost.

But I will say I am now more than excited about what you are building now for him. Some things happen for a reason and I think this build will be the better for it.

Nick, Sorry if my post made it sound like it was you guys fault...I did not intend that but sometimes my written words come out like that. I totally know you were doing what you were told was ok by GMPP and have seen and done similar builds with no such issues.

Let me try again. And not intended toward any specific builder whatsoever....lol
As a long time follower and hot rod lover for decades, my overall wish was that builders would take the time to educate us prospective customers on all of the options..pro and cons, so that we could then make the educated guess and take our own responsibility for the gamble if there is one. My frustration primarily comes from seeing how excited someone is over a 750 RWHP stock internal engine still running on a stock fuel pump with 52lb injectors. Then when it blows apart blaming GM for making such a piece of junk.

Once again...Nick and Ted...You guys are great..I wish you were closer to Colorado. But you always will be my first source for many many mods and fixes that I need.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts

Last edited by 2010 SS RS; 01-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Closed Thread