Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Neto1978

Drives: 2011 camaro ss victory red
Why no factory CAI?

I was thinking to my self... In the case of aftermarket Cold Air Intake systems like rotofab or K&N, Why GM didn't use this kind of CAI project in their assembly line? it wouldn't cost more and would give 10 to 15 hp to the engine (as said by the rotofab and K&N) what would be good to sell when comparing to another models...
I would like to know why...
may be a stupid question, but I didnt' get the answer yet...
Neto1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
I suspect it has something to do with the desire to suppress intake noise to meet regulations, or the need to protect against water intrusion.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Vehicle engineers have many factors other than just maximum performance to consider when they design OE intake systems (noise, fuel economy, emissions, etc.) and in the process leave plenty of room for the aftermarket to make improvements.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I think factories stay away from oiled filters as well, for the possibility of it fouling sensors
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Like someone else said: water intrusion.

Some people actually use Camaros as daily drivers, and get caught in clouud bursts.

That would be me, for example.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
doubleblack

Drives: All black
Does the CAI really give 10-15 more HP or is it just a gimmick and a waste of money ?
doubleblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleblack View Post
Does the CAI really give 10-15 more HP or is it just a gimmick and a waste of money ?
Yes they can and no they are not.

I hope that clears up everything.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
They can give that much depending on the model of car and other mods.

I had a Mazda 6 a few years ago that had a really crazy intake 'baffle/resonator' system that significantly reduced the intake noise (engine growl). Just taking that off would really wake up the engine, and going to a full CAI did even better.

Even the Camaro most likely has been designed with sound in mind.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
To think of a few reasons.... water, snow, dust.. ingestion specs. EPA regs requiring that funky carbon absorber pad to be sealed in the air box. Oiled filters somtimes muck up the sensors. Noise specs... probably more.

And yes a good CAI can give a nice hp increase, much worth the money for the good ones. Great performance, but would probably not pass any of the OE specs they are constrained by.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
denny2188

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
I have a roto-fab with the oiled filter & I have cleaned & re-oiled it twice so far with no problems at all!!!
denny2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
No one has actually proven that the stock intake is restrictive. LOT'S of CAI's have a huge amount of placebo effect. People swear it SO much faster now when in reality its not. Those K&N exposed filters are junk (no offense to owners). It just sucks up a bunch of hot air from the engine bay.

There are a couple brands that seem to show positive results but like posted above GM has to worry about more than maximum power.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
The question is, why didn't the GMPP cold air intake ever get released?
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
To think of a few reasons.... water, snow, dust.. ingestion specs. EPA regs requiring that funky carbon absorber pad to be sealed in the air box. Oiled filters somtimes muck up the sensors. Noise specs... probably more.

And yes a good CAI can give a nice hp increase, much worth the money for the good ones. Great performance, but would probably not pass any of the OE specs they are constrained by.
This is a BIGGIE!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
No one has actually proven that the stock intake is restrictive. LOT'S of CAI's have a huge amount of placebo effect. People swear it SO much faster now when in reality its not. Those K&N exposed filters are junk (no offense to owners). It just sucks up a bunch of hot air from the engine bay.

There are a couple brands that seem to show positive results but like posted above GM has to worry about more than maximum power.

Hmmm....we have been testing CAI's for the past 12 plus years and almost all (if we like them or not) make definate dyno AND 1/4 mile gains....substantial.

But back to the OP question, unless you get into the super car realm, there is always a balance of cost, performance, economy, liability, and above all else no matter what the engineers reccomend, between the marketing to the different demographics and the been counters, even a fraction of a cent over budget can get nixed and then its a dead issue.

And, if you look at the intake boxes of today VS 10 years ago, most incorporate some sort of cold air entrance to some extant. Not near what the good after market units give (CA Inductions my favorite), but leaps and bounds over the ones jsut a few years ago. Look at a 2011-2012 chrager or challenger....they are a true cold air intake that just needs a better flowing filter and of course a smooth coupler is far more volumetric efficient tha a accordian style.

Good question though and if let loose with no budget and other contraints the engineers would put out some "sky's the limit" vehicles as the talent is there.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote