Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #57
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Source of the letter or it's fake.

The source of the letter is Al Oppenheiser - Chief Engineer of the Camaro. We asked Guillermo to post the letter as I was in the air most of today.....
Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
No way did GM ever anticipate that Ford would drop a bomb like they did.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, how do you know that GM did not anticipate that Ford would announce a 650 hp GT500 during the Los Angeles Auto Show?

Those that work at GM have been around the block before, and do understand the competitive nature of the business.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #59
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Time to rally the troops! I am a skeptic, prove it to me with a fair and non-biased comparison and I may re-consider.
You know-- rarely have I taken someone on publicly.....

I do not think you will "re-consider" because in order to 're-consider'-- one would have to 'consider' in the first place ......

.....and frankly I've not seen any positive post from you yet.

True, I don't have the time to read every post....but I consistently see you bashing the ZL1.

The name Camaro means "friend" -- "Pal" --- or "Comrade" - and there are those of us who have tried to keep the Camaro community intact for many years. We've watched people try to divide and conquer. There are moderators on this site that work into the wee hours of the morning - so that we can have this place to come and talk about the Camaro. (..that's why it's called Camaro5 - ) There is nothing wrong with discussion from all sides- but that also means that one has to have an open mind - and perhaps I'm wrong - but it does not seem that you have an open mind about the ZL1.....again, perhaps I'm wrong.

Are you trying to divide this community???

If that's your purpose, then may I suggest that you might be happpier on another forum?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #60
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Why didn't Al O direct this letter to Camaro5 members instead of one single member?
Because while he reads this site, he is in Los Angeles talking with media -- and trying to do his job.....he asked me to post the letter for him, but i was in the air over the United States and could not do it....thus, we asked Guillermo - who was kind enough to post it at once.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #61
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
ZL1 in the garage by April. The rest of you naysayers go buy your ford and stay off the camaro forum!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #62
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
Reading these two paragraphs makes me wonder if there is till more to come with the 2012 ZL1 before there finished and out the door.
Just a thought. I own a 2010 2LT. When I ordered it GM said it had 304HP. When Ford brought out the new V6 Mustang they announced it at 305HP. Approximately two weeks later Chevy announced that they had the Camaro V6 certified at 312 HP!

The game has been going on for years. Bottom line, buy a Camaro or buy a mustang then mod it cause if you care about power, you are going to so what diff. does it make.
Years ago I dated a girl who owned a mustang!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #63
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
WHOOA!!! I hope he had a typo...I thought MSRP was 54,095 not 54,995? Not that it matters to me, I'm waiting.
$54,095 + $900 destination charge.

As for the Mustang, I think Al is just pointing out the obvious. Ford is just throwing power at the problem and hoping to get sales from the HP numbers. Until they develop a car from the ground up like GM did with the 5th gen and ZL1, they're just evading problems by making it more "appealing".

That's just my opinion though.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #64
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
As for the Mustang, I think Al is just pointing out the obvious. Ford is just throwing power at the problem and hoping to get sales from the HP numbers. Until they develop a car from the ground up like GM did with the 5th gen and ZL1, they're just evading problems by making it more "appealing".

That's just my opinion though.
I agree with your opinion.....

ZL1 is going to be a COMPLETE package. No performance "packs" needed!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #65
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
ZL1 is going to be a COMPLETE package. No performance "packs" needed!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #66
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
I was thinking to myself and boy did I have an epiphany. As I have stated in my last few post I am a GM/Camaro guy! I drove a Camaro when they were not as cool or hip as they are now. I broke the bank to get my 2SS and could not be happier with it.

Back in the 4th Gen GM was giving us more HP and beating the Mustang day in and day out! How did we pay them back you might ask? Well we bought every other car then the Camaro. When I bought my 1997 Camaro after working every nite and weekend I loved it. This love was not shared by the general public and GM had to axe the Camaro. Anybody remember the GTO the G8 GXP? They were great cars with tons of HP, but nobody would buy them.

I do expect GM to answer the 2013 mustang they always have. But this time I think they have set their goals on not only making a fast car but a car that people will continue to buy year after year. If you buy the 2012 ZL1 I think you will know why the Camaro is so very special!

Thanks to everyone at GM for bringing back the car I have been in love with since I was old enough to say car. Now my three year old son loves the Camaro as much or more than I do.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #67
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
I personally do not understand the big deal. I decided to buy the ZL1 when it came out feb 9. I decided to buy it based on the specs in the ZL1 Salesperson Reference Guide, realesed the same day. Hell it has even been bumped up from the 550 HP and Torque that was released in that guide. I did not base my decision on what the stang was doing, or any other car for that matter. The ZL1 is a masterpiece of engineering technology, and I can wait for mine to be delivered.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #68
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Mr. Oppenheimer,

You rock.

Sincerely,

Camaro5
warn 145:159 ban
Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #69
sgt2410

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
I never lost faith. Even if the horsepower for both cars remains the same I always believed that the Zl1 would be the most nicely integrated package due to the fact that the track items are available from the factory. I have great respect for the Mustang surviving all of these years and the Gt500 will be a worthy successor to the line. For strictly personal reasons I have always been a Camaro fan, and this one will be my Fourth. Thank you Mr Oppenheiser and F/Bodfather for your work and taking the time to write and have the letter posted. TIM
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #70
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Another Open Letter

I love Camaro and I deeply appreciate and respect all the people who work day and night, day in, day out, and more to bring what I love to my garage and all the other places we go.

I was born in '63 and my cousin got a a 67 Camaro when I was a wee lad. I've never lost the feeling of wonder I got then when I saw it - when I heard it. I guess it imprinted on me, left me so that when I see Camaro I feel strong, cool, and free.

ZL1 is my dream car, and my faith has been rewarded.

Mine will be Imperial Blue, and whenever I drive it I will be connected to you gentlemen, and all the other folks who made it, and all the other folks who love it as I do.

Thank You Very Much.

Schley C

Closed Thread