Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
FUEGO
BEASST

Drives: Murderd convertible
PERFORMANCE CHIP?

Last time I got an oil change the tech asked me if I got exhaust / intake and if I got it "chipped" yet... Is there actually performance chips designed to gain HP? Also I had a buddy with a BMW he said he had a factory chip removed that allowed him to go over 120mph or something like that do we have a chip we can remove for any gains? Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
rvadim76

Drives: SOLD: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
..wrong forum section ) but "get the tune, not just a chip" can be used as an answer
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
These are chips

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
These are chips

Ryan
Too greasy.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
FUEGO
BEASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
These are chips

Ryan

Chip from Talladega Nights

Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Too greasy.

Clogs the MAF?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6

other words dont get a chip. Get a tune. Chips lie to the computer and cause problems.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
The days of "buying a chip" are over. You will need to buy a scan tuner or pay someone to put a dyno tune on it.

To answer your question, yes, GM left 40-60hp on the performance tables just sitting there waiting to be unlocked. Same thing with buying a cold air intake from a reputable company like CAI or Rotofab, easily pick up another 25hp. From there you get into exhaust and headers for another 40-60 and you're done with bolt ons and need to open the motor.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

nm, your from that strange country California. Get your vehicle registered out of state where this won't land you in jail, otherwise your only getting a tune.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
FUEGO
BEASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
nm, your from that strange country California. Get your vehicle registered out of state where this won't land you in jail, otherwise your only getting a tune.

Im not familiar with the handheld tuners and I've never got a dyno tune on a vehicle before how could I find somebody in my area? Ive heard of people sending a tune how would that work? - Thanks for the useful information much appriciated
Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Im not familiar with the handheld tuners and I've never got a dyno tune on a vehicle before how could I find somebody in my area? Ive heard of people sending a tune how would that work? - Thanks for the useful information much appriciated
Me personally? I would call an officer of the local Camaro club I was in, their Facebook group, club forums then reach out to performance shops recommended by them and interview them 1:1 until I found one I was comfortable being in a relationship with. If none of that is an option, I would reach out to the tuning forum here on Camaro 5 for local references, then interview them 1:1 until I found one I was comfortable with.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
FUEGO
BEASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Me personally? I would call an officer of the local Camaro club I was in, their Facebook group, club forums then reach out to performance shops recommended by them and interview them 1:1 until I found one I was comfortable being in a relationship with. If none of that is an option, I would reach out to the tuning forum here on Camaro 5 for local references, then interview them 1:1 until I found one I was comfortable with.

Thanks brother
Old 09-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #13
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
We have a TON of Camaro and specifically L99 experience! We can custom tune your car remotely without any issue at all! Check out our YouTube Channel!

Your MyCalibrator tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
RDP still has a remote tune special going on...

I personally have used dynosteve, as have several on this forum... great service and product!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=remote+tune

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chips