Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
glopez5

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Installed amp and sub, almost no bass

So I have a 2013 Camaro SS 1ss non BA. I just recently installed a Kicker CVR and a Kicker 600watt amp. The setup usually hits hard, but in this car gain is up to 90% and you can barely hear the bass.

I double/triple checked my wiring making sure all +/- were connected correctly. I'm using a sosche low level converter.

Any thoughts? could it be the converter I tried 2 different low level converters and same results....
glopez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
What line converter are you using? Which output are you using from the converter? Some converters have their own output controls, if available are yours turned up?
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
glopez5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
What line converter are you using? Which output are you using from the converter? Some converters have their own output controls, if available are yours turned up?
I'm currently using this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-Li...ntrol/31954500

It has ability to control like you said and I turned it all the way up but not luck.

Also, this is the amp i'm using right now.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K3sAYhG...r-KX600-1.html
Old 12-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
I don't know if my wording is correct here,

but i'm fairly sure you're LOC is making your rca wires low voltage so the signal to the amp is weak, change LOC and it should improve greatly.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-AA-GM44-Am.../dp/B004M4WHHE

I used this when I was using the stock head unit, try and fade all the way back to the rear speakers and see if subs improve, if you change your LOC\

Basically you need to change your subwoofer settings on your head unit and increase them, since you can't do that you need to fade to rear and see if it works.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #5
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Triple check your wiring colors and splices as it sounds like you're possibly having serious phase issues, or completely missing a channel. I've attached the wiring colors.

On page 8 of the manual are the controls on the amp:

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...Amplifiers.pdf

Make sure the crossover, bass boost, and gain are cranked up (clockwise) just for testing. Turn the stereo down and bring it up until you hear music, don't want to blow anything. You shouldn't need to raise the gain past halfway once the LOC is replaced or the wiring issue corrected. Bass boost and crossover are to personal needs/taste.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camaro_GM-Radio_Wiring.pdf (24.1 KB, 125 views)
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
glopez5

Here is an update. I checked wires and they are connected to the correct color. Fading to back didn't make a difference on sound of bass.

It seems like the bass starts to sound better once I put volume near 30, but for me 30 is too loud to be listening to music. This amp/sub combo should be rattling trunk.

Also I read through the Kicker AMP pdf that recommended turning sound up and then raising the gain and bass boost, but like pdf says gain isn't a volume nob. I'm beginning to think it's these low-level line out converters.

I might try to swing by walmart and swap out my low-level converter w/ this one since I still have 30 days to return it:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-80...rsion/23842119

if that fails then i'm going to try the PAC one.

I've used those in the past and they've worked on other cars.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
rc610

Drives: 2020 2SS SGM - Stock for now
Yeah sounds like a weak signal. Have you also checked to make sure your RCAs are connected to the amp input and not output? And your other switches are set correctly? It sounds simple but a lot of ppl miss little things when trouble shooting Amps and subs. I know I sure do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
glopez5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc610 View Post
Yeah sounds like a weak signal. Have you also checked to make sure your RCAs are connected to the amp input and not output? And your other switches are set correctly? It sounds simple but a lot of ppl miss little things when trouble shooting Amps and subs. I know I sure do

hmm maybe, Wonder if maybe the taps that I used on rear speakers isn't good or maybe it's not pushed hard enough?

I'm certain I put the rca's on input but i'll check again.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
rc610

Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Jpb972

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glopez5 View Post
hmm maybe, Wonder if maybe the taps that I used on rear speakers isn't good or maybe it's not pushed hard enough?

I'm certain I put the rca's on input but i'll check again.
Toss the taps. Solder your connections.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by glopez5 View Post
So I have a 2013 Camaro SS 1ss non BA. I just recently installed a Kicker CVR and a Kicker 600watt amp. The setup usually hits hard, but in this car gain is up to 90% and you can barely hear the bass.

I double/triple checked my wiring making sure all +/- were connected correctly. I'm using a sosche low level converter.

Any thoughts? could it be the converter I tried 2 different low level converters and same results....
600 watts in a vehicle is insane. I run that kind of power from tube amps to power Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers that are as big as a Camaro interior. On a surround sound setup I use a Velodyne 600 watt 8" sub and it shakes the walls.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
rc610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
600 watts in a vehicle is insane. I run that kind of power from tube amps to power Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers that are as big as a Camaro interior. On a surround sound setup I use a Velodyne 600 watt 8" sub and it shakes the walls.

I run roughly 5k in my Tahoe lmao

Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
scosche locs are the worst. get a pac sni-15.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
cmracing

Drives: 2014 RS/SS
Those PAC's are perfect and you can't beat the price.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote