Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
MT: ZR1 vs 599 GTB Comparison

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

page 1

"For the money." Three words that, for decades, have stuck to the Chevrolet Corvette like lampreys on a shark. As in, "The Corvette is a heckuva runner-for the money. But still not up there in the Pantheon with Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche."
Ah, but now arrives the all-new 2009 Corvette ZR1. A no-compromises, "Target: Maranello" performance car unlike any GM model before it. In fact, with 638 horses rampaging from its supercharged 6.2-liter LS9 V-8, the ZR1 boasts more power than even the Enzo-engined Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, one of the Italian maker's greatest-ever road cars. Forget "for the money." On paper at least, the ZR1 has the hardware to take on the sublime 599 in a straight fight.
Of course, a mere paper match-up simply won't do...

WE'RE ALIKE, YOU AND I
Though conceived from different nations and technological ideologies, the ZR1 and the 599 could've been separated at birth. Each is a low-slung, rear-drive two-seater with a monstrous engine mounted up front. Under the 599's hood lies that Enzo-derived, 48-valve, 6.0-liter V-12, good for 612 horsepower. The ZR1 parries with an even more potent supercharged V-8-indeed, it's the most powerful production-car engine in GM history. Both ZR1 and 599 sport six-speed transmissions, the Vette a close-ratio manual (vastly improved over the unit in the Z06), the Ferrari an F1 paddle-shift manumatic that snaps off gear changes in a mere 100 milliseconds.
Both cars ride on versions of the same magic carpet, Delphi's variable-stiffness magneto-rheological shocks (which, it should be noted, Ferrari borrowed from the Corvette). Both also offer Brembo calipers clamping down on huge carbon-ceramic discs (they're standard on the Chevy, optional on the 599). Here Corvette borrows from Ferrari: The ZR1's binders are versions of those on the FXX (front) and Enzo (rear).
Inside, the ZR1 and 599 coddle their occupants with standard dual-zone climate control and leather seats; nav and Bose audio are optional on both. It's on pricing, though, that the ZR1 and 599 veer apart like Michael Jackson and reality: The Chevy starts at $106,520, while the base Ferrari commands a chest-clutching $317,595.

follow the link for the full article

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Interesting. ZR-1 is defiantly the best bang for the buck compared to any other exotic car. Also may even be a better car ;o

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Drives: 2007 Chevy Trailblazer
If I had $$ I would buy both the ZR1 and the Camaro... Once I heard about the ZR1 coming out, I have wanted that car ever since... The Camaro is a more reasonable approach though... Even though that'll still be a ways off...:(

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Dave_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
if i had half a mil, id' buy them both. that is very impressive, though, that the ZR1 is a straight-up rival of one of the best supercars around.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
yes this is interesting , seeing a chevy corvette go up against a 300,000 ferrari
Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That was a good issue except I don't know why it wasn't a contender for the COTY. It would've spanked Godzilla all over the place.

I was really suprised by the times they achieved. The trap speed was even more suprising. I know that since they got those times, a good driver powershifting, on a good track, and getting a good launch will get that thing into the 10s. That's friggin' cool. It's also amaziing to me how high the skidpad numbers are too! I wonder what putting the PS2s on a Z06 would do to it's numbers. I bet it would get out in front of Godzilla if they did that!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Interesting. ZR-1 is defiantly the best bang for the buck compared to any other exotic car. Also may even be a better car ;o
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Know what surprised me, the weight of the 599: 3975 lbs! For a 2 seater!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
"The new supercar king"
I liked that : )
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote