Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
Hex Vents without splashtrays

How many of you all with Hex Vents run them without the splashtrays? It just seems to me much more heat would get out through them with out the trays. With 13 days in a row of temps in triple digits, I'd like to get as much heat out from under the hood as possible

Anyone have problems -other than the water getting the engine bay area dirty - such as electrical, etc?

I just watched a detailer power the wash the enigine bay in a Mercedes and he said they spray/powerwash engines as a matter of regular busienss and haven't had any electrical problems reported back to them. So does water getting in there really hurt anything?
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I don't think it would be a problem. Not only would it let way more heat escape, but I hate the look of the trays too.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
without tray, just a bit messier in the bay but remember lots of water comes thru the grill too....yes, a LOT of heat exits without the tray

as far as the look, flat black the tray and you never know it's there...

Last edited by Glen e; 08-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Rod Knock

Already used flat black vinyl on the trays

Since the pics were taken I blacked out the strut brace that comes on the convertible so it is not as visable as well. I'll black out more of the engine cover if I remove the trays.

I am more concerned with any potential water damage to elctronics as this is a daily driver and road trip car so it sees a lot of rain on occassion.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Glen e

If this is a daily driver I see no reason to not use the trays...Steve will tell you the reason he designed them was to reduce the temps in the staging lanes at the drags for his car....but as a daily driver, cooling the engine a bit with the vent open is really not doing you any good except getting everything drenched underneath....just my opin.......
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Vents on or off still get water IMO.

Take a look at the Hood Liner after washing your car for awhile. The water has to go somewhere. What many wont tell you is the Hood Liner becomes NASTY and Soap/Water Stained.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
To answer your question on Water in the engine bay. Everything should be sealed up tight where water could do damage. If you watch any detailer video you will see they use soft scrub brushes to get into the hard to reach areas and then rinse with water.

Back in the day we used to Power wash engine bays but would use a plastic bag to cover up the carb.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Rod Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If this is a daily driver I see no reason to not use the trays...Steve will tell you the reason he designed them was to reduce the temps in the staging lanes at the drags for his car....but as a daily driver, cooling the engine a bit with the vent open is really not doing you any good except getting everything drenched underneath....just my opin.......
The reason I am considering removing the trays is sometimes I like to run the car hard (It's a Camaro after all ) and the temps get up over 200 degrees plus they reach over 200 sitting in rush hour traffic when it's 105 degrees outside. I just have to think more heat would escape if tehe trys were removed.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Knock View Post
The reason I am considering removing the trays is sometimes I like to run the car hard (It's a Camaro after all ) and the temps get up over 200 degrees plus they reach over 200 sitting in rush hour traffic when it's 105 degrees outside. I just have to think more heat would escape if tehe trys were removed.
then have at it!

but if it's a stock camaro I think the car can take what your asking without additional ventilation....
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I run my vents without the trays, and there has been 3 days since I Got them installed this week where it poured down pretty heavy. The only reason I run without the trays is because I have Roto-Fab engine covers, that cover 80% of the top half of the engine, and the vents are directly above both covers. All of the water that falls through the vents, hits the covers, rolls off the side of the engine. I haven't had any issue with wires or anything being soaked, the only downside is I have to clean my engine bay weekly, which is actually a good thing.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Rod Knock

Quote:
then have at it!

but if it's a stock camaro I think the car can take what your asking without additional ventilation....
good point about info that I left out of my post -

It's not stock and gonna be adding more soon

Vararam, 1 7/8" Long tubes with high flow cats, ported TB, tuned, Pedders Xa coilovers/sway bars/bushings --- will be adding 1LE gears very soon and then cam/heads later this year

all more reasons I was thinkimng about additional heat being generated.

I appreciate all the comments and opinions
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I run my vents without the trays, and there has been 3 days since I Got them installed this week where it poured down pretty heavy. The only reason I run without the trays is because I have Roto-Fab engine covers, that cover 80% of the top half of the engine, and the vents are directly above both covers. All of the water that falls through the vents, hits the covers, rolls off the side of the engine. I haven't had any issue with wires or anything being soaked, the only downside is I have to clean my engine bay weekly, which is actually a good thing.
I'm sure you will keep the bay clean. However, there are a lot of parts in the engine bay that carry no protective coatings as they are supposed to be protected by the hood and body. I'll be interested to see in in 6-9 months if you encounter any corrosion water spots appearance issues...please keep posting on this......
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I dont run any covers on any of my vents. But then again i dont drive in the rain either.

But i do wash the car all the time, no trays. Keeps the engine nice and clean cause it makes me wipe it down. Motors now a days are water tight. No need to worry about flooding it, or electrical issues ect.

But sitting at the traffic light you can really see how much heat blows out of these vents. My blower under the hood doesnt help the temps under there either!!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
I'm sure you will keep the bay clean. However, there are a lot of parts in the engine bay that carry no protective coatings as they are supposed to be protected by the hood and body. I'll be interested to see in in 6-9 months if you encounter any corrosion water spots appearance issues...please keep posting on this......
I will keep you posted. So far I have opened my hood right after it rained to see exactly where the water was going, and the only place I can physically see that it really hits, is on my engine covers. I will of course have to give them a good wax to prevent water damage, but it's paint, so with the proper wax job it will hold up. Like others have said, when you wash your car, you get water all over parts of your engine bay, so I can imagine the vents aren't too much worse than spraying the corners of your hood, or radiator.