Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
chrislhardin
Kalel7

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 Victory Red
Best positioning of subwoofers in Camaro

I've seen three setups for placing subwoofers in the 2010 Camaro.

1. 10s or 12s Facing rearward
2. 10 Facing inward toward each other
3. 10s facing up inside the spare tire well. Moved the battery with acrylic over the subs.

Which do you guys think gives the best sound and why???
chrislhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
3 10's in the JL set sold able to be paint matched to car......

The best I have heard so far.......

Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Gnarlygianni

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
i have 2 12' pioneer championship series facing outward. sounds good havent heard anything else.
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
depends on what you want the sound to be like.

if you fire the subs into the car they will be punchier
if you fire the subs into the trunk they will be deeper

for me, I listen to mostly non-rap music, country, alternative, metal, some R&B and yes, some rap... so firing into the cab (forward) seems like the best option for me.

but it also depends on the subs, size of subs, enclosure type and amount of power you are going to be using.

I will be using a pair of 10" subs, sealed enclosure, firing into the car, with about 350w each... in my wifes car which is a SQ build I use a single 10" sub, sealed firing up at the ceiling (hatchback) with about 280w of power to it.
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
cdigiovanni

Drives: 2010 SS2, 03 vette supercharged,
cdigiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
chrislhardin
Kalel7

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 Victory Red
I'm thinking about going with option 3. I'll remove the foam where the spare time would have been and build something to hold the subs and place a sheet of acrylic over them with lights underneath. For everyday, I will leave my RS matt over the acrylic to protect it and when showing, I;ll just take the matt off.
chrislhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Standard for best sound would be at the farthest back of the car facing forward.
This is because a 40Hz sound wave is about 16ft long, which subs can and do play it if you add up the length from the back to firewall, and then to your ear on most cars should be about 16 feet so you would hear and feel the best bass.

That is on paper, but everyone has personal opinion, me I am sealing off my subs from the truck hatch area because there is nothing I hate more in an audio system then trunk rattle. If you are going to make a good loud car why would you want to distort the nice sound your trunk lid making noise.
strauchpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
neither of the 3

Here's how Gary Biggs suggested my car be set up my car for SQ.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=JBL

With this set-up ive been invited into Team JBL in the SQ division.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
We have 2 12 Hertz High Energy facing up to maximize space. Sounds sweet.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
We have 2 12 Hertz High Energy facing up to maximize space. Sounds sweet.

that makes your box at least 13" deep into the trunk, if your subs are only 7" deep (guestimate), wouldnt it be more conserving of space to have them on their side and fire into the trunk or into the cab? thaqt would make the box only as deep as it needed to meet the air space requirements. you could then make it as tall and wide as possible and only as deep as necessary to maximize space...
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
that makes your box at least 13" deep into the trunk, if your subs are only 7" deep (guestimate), wouldnt it be more conserving of space to have them on their side and fire into the trunk or into the cab? thaqt would make the box only as deep as it needed to meet the air space requirements. you could then make it as tall and wide as possible and only as deep as necessary to maximize space...
My box builder is one of the top in the country. I am sure he ran it many different ways to find the optimal efficiency for the requirements of the speakers along with my requirements of space.

I turned on the car for a few people at the fest and they can atest that the system is VERY loud and hits hard.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Topdown
The wait is over!

dont take this wrong, but from looking at the install in your car, it looks like you have square boxes behind a sweet (and it really is sweet looking) trim panel... firing straight up into the rear parcel shelf. I am not saying it wouldn't hit hard, I am just saying its not exactly a space-saving design.

unless your subs are deeper than the diameter of the sub, you would have a better chance at saving space by firing them into the cab or into the trunk and only making the box as deep as the sub +.75" (gotta have cooling room). Maybe your subs are 11" deep, I dont know, but I do know that "one of the top in the country" doesn't mean much when it comes to building boxes. Building boxes isnt what makes a guy one of the best, its the work he did on the sweet looking trim panel in your trunk and the tune of the system that does. I have worked with multiple world champion car audio installers over the years, they build enclosures the same way anyone else does, but they do amazing things that I could never do to trim out an install - like yours.

my point was that you stated he fired them up to maximize space, but that clearly cant be the case... he may have fired them up to make them sound a certain way, but not to maximize space - thats all I was saying.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
dont take this wrong, but from looking at the install in your car, it looks like you have square boxes behind a sweet (and it really is sweet looking) trim panel... firing straight up into the rear parcel shelf. I am not saying it wouldn't hit hard, I am just saying its not exactly a space-saving design.

unless your subs are deeper than the diameter of the sub, you would have a better chance at saving space by firing them into the cab or into the trunk and only making the box as deep as the sub +.75" (gotta have cooling room). Maybe your subs are 11" deep, I dont know, but I do know that "one of the top in the country" doesn't mean much when it comes to building boxes. Building boxes isnt what makes a guy one of the best, its the work he did on the sweet looking trim panel in your trunk and the tune of the system that does. I have worked with multiple world champion car audio installers over the years, they build enclosures the same way anyone else does, but they do amazing things that I could never do to trim out an install - like yours.

my point was that you stated he fired them up to maximize space, but that clearly cant be the case... he may have fired them up to make them sound a certain way, but not to maximize space - thats all I was saying.
Fair enough. No worries. FYI my specs for my subs are.
Mounting mm 284
holediameter
Magnet size mm 190
Total depth mm 190
Mounting mm 162
depth
Total driver l 2,9
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
IDmax 12" subs are 11 inches Deep.... just thought I would give one of the few examples I know of. LOL.

Butr agreed firing up with your subs did not maximize space, but will make it perform differently.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote