Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Example of a thread gone wrong (formerly V6 Camaro Review)

I am fortunate enough to have a friend who was fortunate enough to get to drive a V6 Camaro. Specifically it is V6 6-speed manual (1LT). He commented to me that he was checking out the site and was surprised at some of the questions and negative comments on the V6 and it's performance. So I asked him if he could share with me a little insight that I could then share on the site. He said sure so here goes.

He has put several hundred miles on the car now and was very impressed with the overall package. He said that the V6 has PLENTY of power and gets much better fuel economy and was wondering why people were questioning the V6. He felt that 99.9% of people would be surprised by the power of the V6 and that most people would find that it was more than enough power (he added that excluded crazy Camaro5 fanatics who just HAD to have a V8 -gtahvit, DragonEye, etc...). He added that the car had awesome handling on top of the power and the looks.

Anyway, I thought that it was appropriate to share this information given that there were some questions floating around about the V6 by a few people. I hope that this reinforces for those who ordered or are going to order the V6 that you won't be disappointed.

And by the way, he said that everyone seems to love the looks of this car, especially the ladies!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
I'm fired up about the V6. Since it'll be my only car to commute with as well as joyride, fuel-economy was a big concern. 304hp is PLENTY of power for me and I can't wait to turn heads (hopefully) next month.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Great news, this is what I have seen from official reviews and makes me excited for delivery (whenever that may be..)!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Never bring a knife to a gun fight kid!! LOL

J/K The V6 has awesome numbers. I hope you're all satisfied with the V6 power.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Sweet deal, can wait to start seeing them.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
The fact that this topic even exists shows that V6 owners will always be questioned for taking the V6 and most will have to convince themselves 300 HP is plenty. Not all, but most.

Sure, it's plenty of power...but it'll always be second best. I'd try to avoid talking about the HP all the time because the numbers will always be compared to the V8, not the competition. 300 HP is a lot, but it falls way short of what the car could be, 426 HP.

Get used to the question "Why didn't you get the V8?" if you start talking about V6 power.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Is it just me or does it sound like the people buying V6s are tryin to convince THEMSELVES its a good choice. The 6 will be a great car and we all know that so why all the posts about how good the 6 will be, dont be disappointed, blah blah blah... This isnt directed at anybody, so dont take offence to it(but if you do then youll get over it).
Old 03-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Thanks for the insight. I know I'll be very content with my V-6 Camaro!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
Is it just me or does it sound like the people buying V6s are tryin to convince THEMSELVES its a good choice. The 6 will be a great car and we all know that so why all the posts about how good the 6 will be, dont be disappointed, blah blah blah... This isnt directed at anybody, so dont take offence to it(but if you do then youll get over it).
it's very possible this is the reason, it is not unreasonable to justify a purchase you make or are planning on making, even to yourself; seeing as you are the one whom is most concerned with the purchase you make.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Quote:
Maybe because people are constantly putting down the V6? Not everybody plans on joining NASCAR, and for a young 18-year-old like myself, who doesn't plan on racing, I don't see a need to spend the extra money in the car, gas, and insurance to get the V8. Would I if I had the money? Yes. But for a college student, I'm very happy Chevy decided to make a V6 version that can still hang in there with a lot of other comparable cars.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
And by the way, he said that everyone seems to love the looks of this car, especially the ladies!
I believe it. Most important part. The ladies could care less about the V6 V8 crap. Unless they are enthusiasts also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
The fact that this topic even exists shows that V6 owners will always be questioned for taking the V6 and most will have to convince themselves 300 HP is plenty. Not all, but most.

Sure, it's plenty of power...but it'll always be second best. I'd try to avoid talking about the HP all the time because the numbers will always be compared to the V8, not the competition. 300 HP is a lot, but it falls way short of what the car could be, 426 HP.

Get used to the question "Why didn't you get the V8?" if you start talking about V6 power.
Quote:
Always got have the negative crap...congrats to both of you!! I guess when you get your V8s your other parts will be compensated for.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
Old 03-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post

Quote:
Is it just me or does it sound like the people buying V6s are tryin to convince THEMSELVES its a good choice.
Nope. I have to say quite confidently that these types of threads are mostly a pushback against sentiments like yours and StoutFiles'.

The cold, hard fact is that this isn't "just a V6", and I believe that very few who own one will be thinking they "should have got the V8". (Especially not if gas shoots back up again). Because either; #1 -- the person has never owned a V8 car, and wouldn't know any better. or #2 -- the person HAS owned a modern V8 car, and made the conscious choice not to get it, so why regret it?

Those who are dead-set on as much performance as possible will get the SS. These folks shouldn't be expected to understand the appeal of a powerful V6, because it will always be second in line to their car. It's certainly normal for these guys to believe they would always question their decision if they bought a V6, and probably true....but people of this group: you aren't buying a V6 for that reason, so stop insisting that everyone else will regret it because you would!

Anywho.... -- great post, Camaropete. They did a damn good job ensuring the Camaro has a taste of performance in every flavor.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
WTF? You can drive Camaro's in Nascar?!!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Nope. I have to say quite confidently that these types of threads are mostly a pushback against sentiments like yours and StoutFiles'.

The cold, hard fact is that this isn't "just a V6", and I believe that very few who own one will be thinking they "should have got the V8". (Especially not if gas shoots back up again). Because either; #1 -- the person has never owned a V8 car, and wouldn't know any better. or #2 -- the person HAS owned a modern V8 car, and made the conscious choice not to get it, so why regret it?

Those who are dead-set on as much performance as possible will get the SS. These folks shouldn't be expected to understand the appeal of a powerful V6, because it will always be second in line to their car. It's certainly normal for these guys to believe they would always question their decision if they bought a V6, and probably true....but people of this group: you aren't buying a V6 for that reason, so stop insisting that everyone else will regret it because you would!

Anywho.... -- great post, Camaropete. They did a damn good job ensuring the Camaro has a taste of performance in every flavor.
+1...well said...

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
Closed Thread