Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
...They did a damn good job ensuring the Camaro has a taste of performance in every flavor.
People buy cars for different reasons. Please don't put people down for buying THEIR car for THEIR reasons.

And BTW, my friend added the following:

The car is very quick off the line and has great acceleration in general, even in 6th gear at higher speeds (55-65MPH).
Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Nope. I have to say quite confidently that these types of threads are mostly a pushback against sentiments like yours and StoutFiles'.
What sentiments? Where are these "The V6 is awful" threads? I don't see any!

I could care less if someone gets the V6 over the V8...and I already know, for it's price, the V6 is a great deal. What I am saying is that V6 owners will always be questioned why they didnt buy the V8, especially if they brag about the horsepower. If you're ok with that, then great. If not, then sorry.

These threads don't need to exist, everyone here knows 300 HP is a lot. The people that will be asking why you don't have a V8 are the people you meet in the real world. How am I supposed to interpret this thread?

Me: "The V6 is a good car but does not have the power of a V8."
*Reads Thread*
Me: "The V6 has plenty of power, now it is as good as the V8!"

Is that the goal? What is the goal of these threads other than to try and make V6 owners feel better that their car doesn't have the power of a V8? These threads make V6 owners look insecure about their purchase! Just be happy with your car!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
What sentiments? Where are these "The V6 is awful" threads? I don't see any!

I could care less if someone gets the V6 over the V8...and I already know, for it's price, the V6 is a great deal. What I am saying is that V6 owners will always be questioned why they didnt buy the V8, especially if they brag about the horsepower. If you're ok with that, then great. If not, then sorry.

These threads don't need to exist, everyone here knows 300 HP is a lot. The people that will be asking why you don't have a V8 are the people you meet in the real world. How am I supposed to interpret this thread?

Me: "The V6 is a good car but does not have the power of a V8."
*Reads Thread*
Me: "The V6 has plenty of power, now it is as good as the V8!"

Is that the goal? What is the goal of these threads other than to try and make V6 owners feel better that their car doesn't have the power of a V8? These threads make V6 owners look insecure about their purchase! Just be happy with your car!
You didn't start this thread so you have no idea what it is about or why it was posted. So please don't speak for me.

This thread was started because my friend was kind enough to share some thoughts on the V6 and I felt compelled to share it with the board so those who did order a V6 (for whatever reason) would know what kind of performance they could expect.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Thanks again Camaro Pete,
This site is all about informing us of our possible choices. Many people are on fence between V-6, V-8, not out of ego, but out of a sense of "What's practical for me and my situation". So feedback on V-8 and V-6 performance is always appreciated!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
The fact that this topic even exists shows that V6 owners will always be questioned for taking the V6 and most will have to convince themselves 300 HP is plenty. Not all, but most.

Sure, it's plenty of power...but it'll always be second best. I'd try to avoid talking about the HP all the time because the numbers will always be compared to the V8, not the competition. 300 HP is a lot, but it falls way short of what the car could be, 426 HP.

Get used to the question "Why didn't you get the V8?" if you start talking about V6 power.
I truly and honestly do not care. I don't get into the pseudo penis-envy wars of horsepower. 304 is plenty since I don't race or go to the track. If someone asks "why the V6" I'll say, "because that's what I wanted."
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Never bring a knife to a gun fight kid!! LOL

J/K The V6 has awesome numbers. I hope you're all satisfied with the V6 power.
When you are used to a 177hp 4cyl, a V6 with 304 HP WILL feel like a V8...

If the cars does what you want it to no matter if it is a V6 or V8 it is a good choice.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
w31-w41-ho

Drives: 83 Hurst Olds 70 Cutlass W-31
What if the sales order form asked:
300 horsepower for $23,000
or
400 horsepower for $35,000

no mention of cylinder number

Correct me if I am wrong but I remeber many Chevy V-8's of the past (80's) with only 140 horsepower. So a simple V-6 / V-8 debate is odd.

From all the Camaros built from 1967 to present I wonder what percent of them had a true 300 horse (or more) from the factory. I bet a 2010 V-6 camaro could beat 80% of all the stock Camaros ever made.

1 or 2 years from now, people that don't understand the Camaro's launch/production cycle will ask SS coupe people why they did not buy a convertible? Maybe others will ask why you did not buy the Super Charged Z-28 with 550 horse?

The new Camaro rocks, I hope it helps save GM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
You didn't start this thread so you have no idea what it is about or why it was posted. So please don't speak for me.

This thread was started because my friend was kind enough to share some thoughts on the V6 and I felt compelled to share it with the board so those who did order a V6 (for whatever reason) would know what kind of performance they could expect.
Umm...plus...aren't you buying a V8? So a great post gets trashed by a couple of Napoleans. Silliness...

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post
Umm...plus...aren't you buying a V8? So a great post gets trashed by a couple of Napoleans. Silliness...
It's obvious that some posters here are trying to superimpose THEIR insecurities onto others. I'm used to seeing it but it's annoying sometimes.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks for the review! I love the V6, perfect combo of fuel economy and performance for me.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
I think it just all depends on what you are buying the car for. My last car was a Mercedes SLK 230 which had a supercharged 4 cyl engine. It was quick and tons of fun and I never wished I had went with the SLK 320 V6. I liked the car because of the other features and the supercharged 4 cyl was good enough.

I think I would be happy with the 6 cyl Camaro, but because it's a Camaro I feel it deserves a true heart of muscle. It just fits the car better just like in my opinion that supercharged 4 cyl fit my SLK just right.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I think it just all depends on what you are buying the car for. My last car was a Mercedes SLK 230 which had a supercharged 4 cyl engine. It was quick and tons of fun and I never wished I had went with the SLK 320 V6. I liked the car because of the other features and the supercharged 4 cyl was good enough.

I think I would be happy with the 6 cyl Camaro, but because it's a Camaro I feel it deserves a true heart of muscle. It just fits the car better just like in my opinion that supercharged 4 cyl fit my SLK just right.
I see what you're saying and see why some people feel that a pony car is "supposed" to be a V8. Find, get a V8. But the constant need to go over this "V8s are for men" stuff is so childish and yet it crops up pretty constantly here. From supposed ADULTS.

I've never seen so many insecure people. Now they're telling V6 owners how they're "supposed" to feel now!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #27
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
I've never seen so many insecure people. Now they're telling V6 owners how they're "supposed" to feel now!

That is my new sig!!!

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #28
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
I still have yet to see a thread posted that sais the V6 is a bad car... and to the ones saying that people buying the V8s are compensating for something, does that mean your buying a V6 cause your a P***Y and cant handle a V8? No! NOBODY SAID THE V6 IS A SLOUCH SO STOP TRYING TO DEFEND SOMETHING THAT DOESNT NEED DEFENDING!
Closed Thread