Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
ABL - Future Upgrade to Dash? (option)

So for those of us that get our cars early.... I'm wondering if they made it so that upgrading the ABL to the dash will be easily done on our cars - if we so choose to do that.

Anyone heard anything about this?

I'm wondering if they have like - electrical access or something to make it easy to upgrade to it later...

Don't HATE - Just askin!!
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
nope, currently, no update

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 03-24-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: More accurate that way. Thanks
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Nothing official from what I have heard. I posed the same question to some of the folks at GM.

That to me would be a reasonable way to allow those who get their cars early on to makethe upgrade.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
My guess is if they do fix it they will have to fit it into the existing spaces on the cars interiors.

So, again, my guess is you will be able to make the change.... But like greenrail said, nothing official yet. Scott has alluded to the fact that they may get it fixed, but he certainly didn't say it would be for sure...

I think they are still working on fixing it. But that is just me making a guess. No insider information here.

Just my 2 cents...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I was actually just wondering this for some reason. I was literally just about to post a thread, but I saw yours first :P

I was not among those who complained about ambient lighting being limited to the doors. Frankly, it was not my inspiration for pre-ordering this car. I ordered the car because I absolutely love the look of it. When I found out about the ambient lighting, I thought "wow, that's pretty cool". It was just a nice little touch - a bonus.

Anyways... regarding an "upgrade"... I believe this has been discussed before, but I never really saw anything come of it. I really think that the "early activity" RPO code should be used to signify this upgrade. Any cars with this code should be upgraded (or "retro-fitted") at no cost (or maybe at least a discounted cost) at a dealer, after/if the problem ever gets worked out. I am not saying this as a demand, nor as an insult to GM, or any other negative way of thinking... I genuinely believe that this is an incredible idea, and it would make so many people extremely happy. I really hope that fbodfather sees this and can pass it up the chain, for it to at least be considered. There have been so many things that have been voiced by the enthusiasts and answered by GM that I think they might actually consider it (if they haven't already). Scott and the rest of the crew - you have done an amazing job so far - thanks and keep it up!

So what does everyone think?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think it'd be great to continue working on it and add it later. I think that would cause a problem with those buying now... What I do know is that I'd be happier knowing the ABL we're getting now works and won't have problems, opposed to having the complete set-up only to have problems later.

We're going to have to wait and see.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Personally, I would dearly love to have the full ABL package. It is one of those "WOW" items that knocked me over when I first saw it.

Guess we will have to wait and see what shakes out.

Like I said, offering an upgrade eventually would work for me.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Maybe we could sticky this and make it a poll, to see how interested the pre-order people would be... then pass it along to GM to show our concerns.

I mean, the idea worked with blue SS's, right...?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
I'm interested. Not a have to have for me right now but would love to have as an add-on option later when all issues have been addressed with it...unless it was outrageously expensive of course.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I wish your idea would work out DDustin. I noticed that even the new buick is getting it and the CTS already has it on the dash, its just a little different in terms of excution then the Camaro.
Lets be honest, we all know that this will get fixed by the 2011 model year, hopefully we can get the upgrade free, but if not, i hopes its a low price
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Then again, if it comes to be, I might have to re-think my position depending on what has to be modified in order for them to upgrade my car. I mean, if they have to totally take out the whole dash and do major surgury to make it happen, I may just go on without it. So I'll back up and say most likely I would be interested but depends on the magnitude of the project.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
Then again, if it comes to be, I might have to re-think my position depending on what has to be modified in order for them to upgrade my car. I mean, if they have to totally take out the whole dash and do major surgury to make it happen, I may just go on without it. So I'll back up and say most likely I would be interested but depends on the magnitude of the project.
Exactly where I was going....

I'm hoping they kept an "upgrade" in mind when putting this in the dash... because like you, I would definitely want to "upgrade" if/when the option becomes available.

I'm just hoping it's an "easy" upgrade rather than a total disassemble....
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
I'm just hoping it's an "easy" upgrade rather than a total disassemble....
No disassemble Johnny number 5 !
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I believe fbodfather, in Moose's sticky post today, eluded to the distinct possibility of the IP lighting coming on future cars, and I would imagine a retrofit would also be likely. You know the wiring is there. It was a planned productiuon feature.

Quote:
At some point, a hard decision must be made -- we're ready to go into production - and we haven't solved the problem........so the call was made - and Ambient Lighting will only appear in the doors -- at least for now.