Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2024, 04:09 AM   #1
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
Mix-matching TPMS sensors? Aftermarket TPMS questions

Am I able to replace individual TPMS' with aftermarket ones? For example, say I currently have a full set of 4 OEM GM TPMS, but want to replace one or more but NOT all of the OEM ones; will this affect the functionality of the rest of the TPMS'? What if I currently have a full set of 4 aftermarket TPMS', and want to swap in individual OEM ones?

I don't know if the current ones I have, are all the same brand or not. I had one of the front ones go out, and decided to buy a full set of aftermarket ones; and am planning on just replacing the single dead one. Would I be better off replacing ALL of the current ones, with the new, fresh aftermarket TPMS'?

I have a 2010 2SS, but I'm not sure if it is an early or late production release. I will check the VIN eventually, but I have done research on the TSB that has early 2010 release models, have their BCM(?) reflashed, in order to accept the revised late 2010+ and up standard TPMS'.

I believe all the revised TPMS' are for 314.9 Hz frequency, as opposed to the older (pre-revision) 315 Hz frequency TPMS'. Not sure what the aftermarket TPMS' are supposed to be, but I hear that they are all supposed to be 314.9 Hz or at least work with them.

I acquired a universal TPMS learning tool (that works for GM vehicles), and I was wondering if my 2010 model (or newer) Camaro allows me to specifically re-assign the current TPMS that I am re-calibrating, to be assigned to THAT particular wheel. I think I have one of my current wheels reversed, so I'm not sure if the tool can fix that issue, without me having to swap the wheels or the actual TPMS around.
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:52 AM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
You should be fine replacing just the one sensor that is bad. As long as you got the same frequency that you mentioned. I'm not sure on the frequency needed though.
As for the tool. Depends on which one you got. Most of the inexpensive learning tools will not write a TPMS. Meaning, programming the universal, aftermarket, sensor to your vehicle. However, it will relearn the position of the sensor after being programmed to your vehicle. So if the new sensor is up front and you do a tire rotation and it's in the back, you can use the tool to relearn the location of the sensor so it's correct in the DIC. But, I also had bad luck with the inexpensive tools on my camaro at one point. I ended up buying a really nice autel that will reprogram, and relearn sensors. It's really amazing for all the family vehicles and stuff. Works so easily
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:35 AM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The actual frequency is 314.9. Labeling and marketing a sensor as either a 314.9 or 315 hz depends on the manufacturer but they are the same thing. The tolerance range listed for 315 hz sensor is between 314.9 - 315.1 so there is some leeway on the sensors.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #4
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
I have a 2010 2ss. Even the dealer couldn't find a way to get my sensors to work using new ones. They even replaced the monitoring module. I did find only one brand that would work with my car (another thread somewhere on here) as the 2010 is particularly sensitive to the sensor type. Those that I did find had the battery die after one year. I got fed up. It was like $30 per sensor and $15 per tire to change them, $180 per year, no thanks. I was a bit skeptical but bought a Spooftpms module (another thread on here). I am now rid of the light on my dash and the warning message every time I start the car. I just do regular checks on my tire pressures. I don't know about other years but would advise to tread carefully with changing the frequency of the sensor used on a 2010. Just my personal experience.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:01 PM   #5
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The car doesn't car what brand sensor you have as long as it's programmed for your particular vehicle-you will have to do a relearn. Most your aftermarket TPMS sensors need to be programed with a programing tool of the same brand as the sensors, or some sellers can program it for your specific vehicle before they ship it. If you buy a decent programmer it can copy your existing sensors or you can manually enter the ID, even make multiple copies so you can switch wheels with no relearn. The cost is pretty reasonable and can pay for it's self pretty quickly verses going through a tire shop. I have 6 vehicles that use TPMS sensors and can change them myself so my programmer has paid for itself many times over.
bsn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:02 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
I have a 2010 2ss. Even the dealer couldn't find a way to get my sensors to work using new ones. They even replaced the monitoring module. I did find only one brand that would work with my car (another thread somewhere on here) as the 2010 is particularly sensitive to the sensor type. Those that I did find had the battery die after one year. I got fed up. It was like $30 per sensor and $15 per tire to change them, $180 per year, no thanks. I was a bit skeptical but bought a Spooftpms module (another thread on here). I am now rid of the light on my dash and the warning message every time I start the car. I just do regular checks on my tire pressures. I don't know about other years but would advise to tread carefully with changing the frequency of the sensor used on a 2010. Just my personal experience.
You just had bad luck. The car doesn't care about the sensor type or brand as long as it is 315 hz. You most likely got a set of bad sensors or the dealer didn't want to program them in order to up sale you the more expensive ones.

I had to replace all 4 of mine about 3 years. Used the cheap AC Delco knock offs on Amazon. Cost me $20 for all 4 sensors. Worked just fine and still working.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:18 AM   #7
LarryD

I tried GM ones and aftermarket ones. They would program but lose contact after a few days to a week. The ones I did get to work were aftermarket but then the batteries died in less than a year. They were all correct frequency theoretically. I have two guesses. One is that the 2010 (or at least my 2010) requires either a tighter tolerance sensor frequency or the module is off center of the frequency tolerance band for reception (although the dealer tried a new module). Two my car may have interference somewhere that is blocking the signal if the sensor is not putting out a high enough signal level. Fortunately, the set I did get to work I just put in a pressurize pipe and threw it in the trunk. I had to do that so that I didn't pay the expense of installing them only to find out they didn't work. In any event, I don't have to deal with it anymore or the cost.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:44 AM   #8
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
the set I did get to work I just put in a pressurize pipe and threw it in the trunk.
Working solution.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:47 AM   #9
TheBrightSide

I'm debating getting a 12V corded version of SpoofTPMS' module. I believe he sells a battery-operated version as well, but it seems better to have it plugged in at all times, through a cigarette lighter port.

I'm probably going to individually replace bad ones, and see if I can mix-match or "re-program" the sensors to the right locations on the car, that the wheels are mounted to. I recently got ahold of another set of stock 20's, and I plan to have two square setups; one 245 square setup, and one 275 square setup.

My current stock wheel setup has all OEM TPMS', except one out in the front. I'm planning to swap my rear 20x9/275 wheels out, for the other 20x8/245 pair. With this setup, I'm going to be installing 2 aftermarket (new) TPMS' in the rear wheels, and another aftermarket TPMS in the front wheel that has the dead sensor. Hopefully the one good sensor left alone in the one untouched wheel will be okay, or have my tool "re-learn" (I get confused with "re-learn" and "re-program") it to the right spot, if I rotate my wheels all around.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:51 AM   #10
TheBrightSide

Debating on going with OEM brand

Quote:
I tried GM ones and aftermarket ones. They would program but lose contact after a few days to a week. The ones I did get to work were aftermarket but then the batteries died in less than a year. They were all correct frequency theoretically. I have two guesses. One is that the 2010 (or at least my 2010) requires either a tighter tolerance sensor frequency or the module is off center of the frequency tolerance band for reception (although the dealer tried a new module). Two my car may have interference somewhere that is blocking the signal if the sensor is not putting out a high enough signal level. Fortunately, the set I did get to work I just put in a pressurize pipe and threw it in the trunk. I had to do that so that I didn't pay the expense of installing them only to find out they didn't work. In any event, I don't have to deal with it anymore or the cost.
I'm probably gonna go with the OEM GM TPMS'. I really don't wanna deal with sensors dying after a year (or even sooner). I believe the ones that I have in my car rn, are only the 2nd ever set (maybe even the very FIRST); since my car was a garage, collector-kept 2010 2SS coupe....

I got the car with barely 19k miles on it, back in the spring of 2023. I believe the car still has the original brake rotors from the factory. I currently have a set of 13-15 stock 20" wheels on it, the gray-ish shade. I went and got another spare set of the same 13-15 20's, but these ones were the polished ones (or the owner polished them to this extent). Probably won't look amazing up close, but I'll enjoy having square setup for wheels and tires.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:53 AM   #11
TheBrightSide

Might get a proper TPMS programming tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
You should be fine replacing just the one sensor that is bad. As long as you got the same frequency that you mentioned. I'm not sure on the frequency needed though.
As for the tool. Depends on which one you got. Most of the inexpensive learning tools will not write a TPMS. Meaning, programming the universal, aftermarket, sensor to your vehicle. However, it will relearn the position of the sensor after being programmed to your vehicle. So if the new sensor is up front and you do a tire rotation and it's in the back, you can use the tool to relearn the location of the sensor so it's correct in the DIC. But, I also had bad luck with the inexpensive tools on my camaro at one point. I ended up buying a really nice autel that will reprogram, and relearn sensors. It's really amazing for all the family vehicles and stuff. Works so easily
Do you have a link to one of those better TPMS programming tools, on somewhere like Amazon? I see tons of the universal ones I got, like for $10-20; but those are the ones that people seem to have 50/50 luck with, for aftermarket TPMS'..
Old 05-10-2024, 05:52 AM   #12
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
TPMS' with aftermarket ones
For example these,but i have no personal experience with these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274794469856

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I believe he sells a battery-operated version as well
Yep,this is mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by chevy pilot; 05-10-2024 at 06:10 AM.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:34 AM   #13
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have an older version of this one. You need to run their brand of TPMS and buy from a reputable seller. I did get a set of Launch TPMS sensors from a seller on EBAY once that the programmer could program but the car couldn't recognize, the price I paid was too good to be true and the boxes were all in Chinese so I should have known better. Otherwise I have used on Hyundai, Gm's and Fords and had no issues. On some GM's it will not trigger the factory TPMS sensors you will have to use a magnet and then you can program the replacement TPMS sensor without doing a re-learn.

https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-CRT501...6-580d6bb0ee10
bsn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:28 AM   #14
LarryD

I have the same Spooftpms as Chevy Pilot. I got the battery one since I didn't want to deal with the cigarette lighter cord. Mine is in the glove box and I leave it turned on all the time. I got mine in mid-March and haven't had to replace the battery in it yet and it has worked fine.

Tags
sensor, tire, tpms, valve, wheel