Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
2017 Bentley Bentayga: First Drive

Because you know... Volkswagen

600hp
663tq (eh what? really makes 666, but hey ..you know...)
133 hrs to build by hand
35 degree lateral and longitudinal operation
0-60: 4.1s
187mph: Top speed
5,500lbs: Weight
Fuel economy: Your funny
Audio system: Naim

60Gb entertainment system
2x 32Gb 10.1" Android removable tablets that can independently control the entertainment system
4 identical seats (Rears are same as fronts)

Quote:
Pros: Bentley looks and refinement, as comfortable driving or being driven; bespoke packages that include the ultra-rare nearly $170,000 Breitling Tourbillon, 600 hp, loads of torque and some minor off-roading ability.
What? Say that again? The car has an optional CLOCK for $170k??

Driven my share of Bentley over the years, looking forward to this model just glad it's not my money lol.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Don't forget the 48V ride stability hoozijigger.

And 130 (133?) hours to build by hand... that seems really damn quick. And what does that even mean? Does that count the manufacture of each part? The parts boy getting a fender from section 15, the bolts from section 25, and a wrench from the box, or just the time actually turning the wrench? Does it count the stitching time for the leather, or the tanning time for said hide? How 'bout the polishing of the wood dash? 130 hours seems like a really random number, that could be broadly interpreted in an infinite number of ways.

If the clock--- which one apparently has to remember to wind, 'cause that's not automatic--- costs more than my house, then I'm sure I will decline THAT option.

And that whole article never did tell me if it's four- wheel- drive or not...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post

Yea, the jokes on Volkswagen. Seriously, it's not even a 4x4, just an expensive AWD SUV.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Yea, the jokes on Volkswagen. Seriously, it's not even a 4x4, just an expensive AWD SUV.
But it will do 187mph .
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Butt ugly worthless pile of crap. I would rather have a Hellcat Jeep for a lot less money.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
It may be a hunch, but I would venture a guess that most people who will buy this....thing.....laugh at people who consider cost in such a ridiculous purchase.

Honestly... if I was riding in that....the last thing on my mind would be SUVs that I dont own.... I'd be more worried about having someone continue to smell my own feces to ensure it still lacks a flavor.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Don't forget the 48V ride stability hoozijigger.

And 130 (133?) hours to build by hand... that seems really damn quick. And what does that even mean? Does that count the manufacture of each part? The parts boy getting a fender from section 15, the bolts from section 25, and a wrench from the box, or just the time actually turning the wrench? Does it count the stitching time for the leather, or the tanning time for said hide? How 'bout the polishing of the wood dash? 130 hours seems like a really random number, that could be broadly interpreted in an infinite number of ways.

If the clock--- which one apparently has to remember to wind, 'cause that's not automatic--- costs more than my house, then I'm sure I will decline THAT option.

Assembly time of a vehicle, I always figured, is the work-hours spent from when the plant makes their first stampings out of sheet metal (or, if those are shipped in from elsewhere, when the first two pieces are joined together) until it drives out of the factory as a finished unit. Downtime over night between shifts doesn't count. 130 hours is astonishingly slow for automobile production. Unless I'm way off, thats roughly 10x longer than it takes to crank out a normal mass produced car. I could very well be wrong though. We need Number 3 in here ... he'll know for sure.

It definitely doesn't count all the material processing time (ie, leather tanning). If you go that far, why not go back to when the cow from which the leather came was born? Or when the tree that the wooden dash was made from was planted?

Can 130 hours be interpreted countless ways? Absolutely. But automotive engineers probably only have a couple interpretations.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

As for the clock, I would never pay $170k for such a thing. It would be far more amusing to pay someone 50 grand a year to wear a Rolex and accompany me at all times. My own personal time keeper. Do that for 3 years (or until I get bored with the idea, which will probably be the case) and not only do I come out ahead money-wise, but I end up with much better story of how I extravagantly spent my wealth. Win-win.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As for the clock, I would never pay $170k for such a thing. It would be far more amusing to pay someone 50 grand a year to wear a Rolex and accompany me at all times. My own personal time keeper. Do that for 3 years (or until I get bored with the idea, which will probably be the case) and not only do I come out ahead money-wise, but I end up with much better story of how I extravagantly spent my wealth. Win-win.
I like your idea of paying a person to wear a watch... but I would bet that for $50K/ year, you could pay a guy to carry a sundial around, and upon your whimsical command, he would obediently orient it in the correct direction (using ONLY classic navigator's instruments, of course), and then, at the position of attention, shout out the time.

THAT would be my cool wealth- exhibiting eccentricity... long before the high- dolla clock Bentley is offering.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I like your idea of paying a person to wear a watch... but I would bet that for $50K/ year, you could pay a guy to carry a sundial around, and upon your whimsical command, he would obediently orient it in the correct direction (using ONLY classic navigator's instruments, of course), and then, at the position of attention, shout out the time.

THAT would be my cool wealth- exhibiting eccentricity... long before the high- dolla clock Bentley is offering.

I say old boy, that is a marvellous idea. You have bested me on this day. Bravo to you, good sir!

Camaro Fest sub-forum