Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #57
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Macamaro - Excellent information on the fusetap. I have a wiring kit I bought off eBay with a wired mute button to mount and a fusetap. I haven't decided if I will go this route or to the Onstar wires in the mirror. Really depends if I want to have the mute button handy down to the left side of the shifter or not.
Great information you guys are providing! It's nice to have options and advanced info!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #58
Macamaro

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Oops forgot to enable pic uploading... you guys should be able to see the rest of the pictures now... sorry bout that
Macamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #59
Zax

Drives: Rally Yellow 2010 2SS/RS
Anyone have any good shots of doing a rearview mirror based install? I've been pondering the idea of trying this out instead of running a wire all the way down to the fuse box. I'm not too keen on wiring it into overhead console's air bag wiring.
Zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #60
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax View Post
Anyone have any good shots of doing a rearview mirror based install? I've been pondering the idea of trying this out instead of running a wire all the way down to the fuse box. I'm not too keen on wiring it into overhead console's air bag wiring.
it's not the airbag wiring...it's an indicator light...you'll notice it's also the seatbelt light...so if it makes you feel better, that's the power that I tapped into.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #61
carguy50

Drives: 2SS/RS, Sequntials,Tune,Flomstr,CAI
Install radar detector

Great instructions and detail. the best instruction you gave was "Be Patient !" I did not break anything. It works great. Thanks again!!
carguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #62
WildClay

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1121 View Post
Dude.....

That was a good write up, but a ton of work.

Don't take this the wrong way......

I put my detector in the exact same place as you, except I just tucked the cord into the edge of the headliner, put in inside the drivers side pilliar, and into the fusebox on the drivers side of the dash. Total time was less than 5 minutes, and needs no tools......
What fuse did you use?

Found Fuse... Thanks
3800 - 9/9/9 - Produced
5000 - 9/16/9 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 9/17/9 - Delivered to Customer

Many Thanks to CamaroScotty and a friend at GM!! Dealer and GM Customer Service at its best!

Last edited by WildClay; 09-19-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: To say I found the fuse
WildClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #63
WildClay

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Headliner / Fuse Box Radar Wiring Approach

I also went with the cross the headliner to fuse panel approach. Just a note of caution to who ever uses this approach. I noticed a lot of mini-fuse piggy-backs that were just rated at 10A, the fuse you will be using for that slot is 20Amp, make sure the piggy-back is rated 20A or better.

I did not post pictures of the headliner, there is nothing to see, the wire easily slips under it, then as noted by the originator of this approach, you pull off the side molding or just open it enough to run the wire down.

Here is the fuse cover back on / before taking off:

Start from the bottom, near the front of the car to pull off the cover, then work up towards the back of the car and follow the panel up, popping the clipps as you go. When you get to the top, the clip is in the middle at the top between front and back, work your hand in so you can get fingers on either side of the post and pry gently, it will pop out.

Fuse Box Exposed

Some Notes:
- The tall white fuse holder, that came with the detector wiring and should be kept. I zip tied the top part of the case to a spot that holds it secure but lets me removed the bottom barrel to replace the fuse.

- I put a piece of 1/4" x 1/2" single sided sticky foam behing the fuse barrel to prevent a future rattle.

- While the Radar Detector takes very little current it still should be wired to the "device side" of the fuse (the side that does not have 12V unless the fuse is in) this makes sure your piggy-back is running through the existing fuse (20A) which make sure you don't overload the actual wire. It is likely nothing to worry about for this, but good rule of thump when tapping a fuse.

- I grounded to the same black screw the other guy did, it easy enough to see. I did sand the area around the screw hole a little

- Finally I routed the wire through the fuse area to ensure all wires were secure.

Radar Detector Mounted

I like it right under the mirror, if you mount them too high you may find a blind spot from the back, but it does look a little better from the outside mounted higher.
3800 - 9/9/9 - Produced
5000 - 9/16/9 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 9/17/9 - Delivered to Customer

Many Thanks to CamaroScotty and a friend at GM!! Dealer and GM Customer Service at its best!
WildClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #64
Blood

Drives: 2003 Silverado z71 1500
I think I will forget defacing my car andjust have the wire hanging lol. I can figure something out...
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #65
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post
I think I will forget defacing my car andjust have the wire hanging lol. I can figure something out...
how about an invisacord? no defacing of car needed.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #66
Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
how about an invisacord? no defacing of car needed.
can you give me a link? Just go to my page and post a comment on my page witht he link plz!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #67
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
LOL....'defacing' the car? A wire tap doesn't qualify as defacing anything...it's not even 'risky'.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #68
Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
LOL....'defacing' the car? A wire tap doesn't qualify as defacing anything...it's not even 'risky'.
When youre me and you are fidling with stuff like that, it will end up being defaced!!!! hahah
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #69
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
When youre me and you are fidling with stuff like that, it will end up being defaced!!!! hahah
No worries...that's why I was very cautious about being patient. Get a friend to help...it's really pretty easy.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #70
GMSPOON

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Great Job

Thank you for having all the legwork done for me. Did it in under an hour w/ your excellent pics. Really can't thank you enough. I started to try and figure where I'd direct wire it in myself. Got real confused and then GOOGLED it. Thank you again,
Mike
GMSPOON is offline   Reply With Quote