Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Downwithopp

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Stock vs Aftermarket Control Arms

After coming home from the track last weekend I went to do some sway bar adjusting and noticed that the housing on the right rear control arm that holds the end link to the sway was completely obliterated. Seeing as the housing is welded to the control arm I am looking to order a new rear arm package.

Is there really any significant benefit to going aftermarket on control arms? I've done a bit of looking and a lot of the information is vague at best.

Was looking at the Spohn Pro Drag rear arm package as I have the PFADT front and rear sports sway installed.

Any advice would be awesome!

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE
http://marylandspeed.com/spohn-prodr...el-p-4266.html
Downwithopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwithopp View Post
After coming home from the track last weekend I went to do some sway bar adjusting and noticed that the housing on the right rear control arm that holds the end link to the sway was completely obliterated. Seeing as the housing is welded to the control arm I am looking to order a new rear arm package.

Is there really any significant benefit to going aftermarket on control arms? I've done a bit of looking and a lot of the information is vague at best.

Was looking at the Spohn Pro Drag rear arm package as I have the PFADT front and rear sports sway installed.

Any advice would be awesome!

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE
http://marylandspeed.com/spohn-prodr...el-p-4266.html
Are you refering to the tab welded on the lower control arm? If so you can get reinforcements for that.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
The aftermarket Lower Control Arms (LCA) provide the ability mount smaller wheels on the rear of the car. In some cases, as small as 17" (with the stock SS brakes). The smaller wheels reduce weight, reduce rotational mass, and normally result in taller sidewalls on the tires. This is all beneficial if you are drag racing. If you have no intention of installing smaller wheels (even if just for track use), then I personally don't see much use in buying aftermarket LCA's.

If I was in your shoes, and had a real reason to buy new LCA's, I would buy the newer (2012) GM LCA's, ditch the Pfadt sport bars, and buy the 1LE sway bars. The new design functions something like 300% better than the older design.

And not trying to sway you in either direction, but I've heard quite a few negative reviews about the fitment and customer service of Spohn products, I would personally steer clear of them.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
For the most part I agree with blazzin....buy the new style FE4 control arms, sell your currently swaybars, but go aftermarket since you're racing. Although 1LE is good, aftermarket is going to be even better. Either go with Pfadt's new ZL1 style or Pedders ZL1 style. Price is about the same and you should recover a decent chunk of money by selling your current sway bars.

Then get a good Aggressive Street alignment.

I've got a set of Pedders ZL1 and FE4 LCAs on order. Just waiting for them to come in stock.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Downwithopp

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Alright thats a huge relief, the Spohn rears are a bit more expensive and with your advice ill steer clear. I'll have to look into the newer PFADT sways you have mentioned. Thanks a ton both of you.
Downwithopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
We would definitely suggest upgrading both rear control arms to the 2012 style. They will still allow you to bolt up your current sways that you have on the car now, and if you want to upgrade to the ZL Spec sways in the future you will have that option as well.

The outboard mounting points really are a large improvement over the 2010-11 mounting location. Not only has durability of the new mounting location seemed to improve, but because the sways are now mounted outboard of the shock the bars are much more effective than they were at the inner point.

Overall it's a win-win. Move to the '12 arms. They're surprisingly inexpensive from GM and will let you upgrade sways in the future!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I got the phadt zl1 bars on my fe3. uprgraded the lower control arms and Im super happy with them. I dont race my vert but I drive pretty spirited and the diference is night and day. Highly recommend. Put them on in one afternoon.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
We would definitely suggest upgrading both rear control arms to the 2012 style. They will still allow you to bolt up your current sways that you have on the car now, and if you want to upgrade to the ZL Spec sways in the future you will have that option as well.

The outboard mounting points really are a large improvement over the 2010-11 mounting location. Not only has durability of the new mounting location seemed to improve, but because the sways are now mounted outboard of the shock the bars are much more effective than they were at the inner point.

Overall it's a win-win. Move to the '12 arms. They're surprisingly inexpensive from GM and will let you upgrade sways in the future!
So if already having the Stage III handling package doesn't mean gutting everything if going to the 2012 LCA? That would be huge! Any need for reinforcing brackets on the 2012 LCA?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Marine View Post
So if already having the Stage III handling package doesn't mean gutting everything if going to the 2012 LCA? That would be huge! Any need for reinforcing brackets on the 2012 LCA?
Your connection points (ie: drop links) connect completley different than the FE3 end links do. No need for reinforcing brackets.

Go look at an FE4 control arm and the way it connects. I don't have any pics on me or I would post them. Pics are out there though.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
You would only need to replace the front and rear sway bars, end links and rear LCA's. Everything else will stay the same. We have a package on our site that includes everything you need for the upgrade. If you search part # 1410138 on our site, and select the options in the drop down box, you will see the price on it. Which IMO is very affordable considering what you get out of the package.

Then you can sell your stuff to a V6 guy or another 10-11 SS and its a win win!

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions, We are always happy to help!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Thx...found my solution to maintain most of the PFADT set up already in place! drag racing here I come (and autocrossing...and....)
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Thx...found my solution to maintain most of the PFADT set up already in place! drag racing here I come (and autocrossing...and....)
Sweet what did you come up with?

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote