Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
smokescreen

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
NEED HELP!!!!!

Here is some back story...i am doing a cam swap on my LS3 SS. Everything was going great. Got the new cam in and spun freely.

Now here comes my dilemma...while i was removing the dowel on the passenger side, it broke off about two to three inches from being out. I took the pushrods and pushed the lifters back in place with no issues. If i take the intake manifold off, will i be able to remove the dowel? I am open to suggestions.

Can't post any pics because you cant see anything.
smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I don't think the intake will help you. Can you see it with a flashlight? Maybe take a dowel piece with a small nail or screw end in it and try to stab the piece in there. Maybe it will stick and be able to pull out. Or a small dab, very small, of epoxy on the end of a dowel and try to stick it to the other piece. Some fast drying epoxy might work if you can hold the dowel against it. Just use very little so none drips out in there. A tiny drop of epoxy or superglue may be safer than a nail/screw, you wouldn't want those to drop off in there.

Or can you get a shop vac up to the hole?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
try a magnet...
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
smokescreen

Ill try the epoxy tomorrow...tried with a screw earlier and no dice. If i cant get it out, i guess i will have to pull the head or try to get the back plate off and force it out with air or another dowel...this time ill use an aluminum dowel metal vice wood. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Have any of the lifters fallen down and blocking it? If no lifters are in the way, I would think trying to epoxy another piece of dowel to it might work if you let it set up long enough.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
smokescreen

Russell...no go on the epoxy or getting it with a screw. It seems that only a piece about 1/4-1/2 broke off. Seems to be turning sideways in the passage.

Im going to pull the head and take the lifters out and see if i cam get to the piece. If not, im out of options. Guess at that point ill take it to a mechanic down the road and see if they can get the damn thing.

This is frustrating at this point.