Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #1163
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Hoping to hear of a happy resolution this week. Fingers are crossed for the OP.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #1164
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeezer View Post
Actually, you might want to 'read again'. The OP said:

'I will never be able to afford another new ZL1, and basically I don't think I should have to be put in the position to have to buy a new one.'

So, what he indicates is that when he takes his pristine car to a dealership for service, he doesn't feel that he should end up being put in the position to have to buy a new one. And you disagree with that?
That is lobbying for a new car. I read that as anything less than new will not be good enough. NO WAY this dealer will find a used car that the OP will be happy with.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #1165
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
damn, hes really getting the hookup from the vendors on this site, awesome job CAI inc. and PFADT!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #1166
Sharkonwheels
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: 2013 Volt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
That is lobbying for a new car. I read that as anything less than new will not be good enough. NO WAY this dealer will find a used car that the OP will be happy with.
The way I understand it, from a phone call a little while ago, the OP has been after them for a new car from day one. Nothing presented or offered has been good enough.

There's two sides to every story. The party on the other end of the call said they would come on here, and explain their side. I was just trying to give some neutral "ain't got a dog in this fight" advice, like to end this soap opera ASAP to avoid continuing casualties, and a rapidly spiraling PR nightmare.

I hope we can curtail ourselves enough to hear the other side.

All we can do is take what they both say at face value, knowing it's a he-said, she-said.

PS - I was told that there was defacement to 1 or more vehicles on the lot, that they found when they went in this morning.

Folks, let's let the OP and the dealer work it out, especially now that GM/Chevrolet is involved (confirmed) as any of this nonsense will possibly only complicate things worse than they are. Opinions and comments, sure. Defacing their cars? C'Mon, man...
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #1167
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Yeah, let's keep it civil. Ours is not to resolve the issue or decide what is fair. We should just understand the feeligs the OP has, which are not unlike those most of us would have and express support that they are able to come to an agreement that is the best possible outcome for all involved.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #1168
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
It is a remarkable day at GM with the announcement of the 2015 Z06. SuperCar has a new meaning.

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/2015/index.shtml
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #1169
tunseeker1

Drives: volt
I have been foloowing this since the beginning, But I wanted to chime in.

The dealer doens't make much money on a new car to cover the difference on providing a new car as replacememnt.

The dealer makes his money on service and body shop.

The car was in one of the cash cow departments of the dealership and their business is going to suffer.

The service/Paint department needs to make the replacement cost/Lost revenue case to the owner.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #1170
Sharkonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
It is a remarkable day at GM with the announcement of the 2015 Z06. SuperCar has a new meaning.

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/2015/index.shtml
Yes it is... Been licking my chops all morning. That thing is SWEET. They also cleaned house with awards. Car of the year AND Truck of the year.

GM, ya done good.

Link to the unveiling video:

Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #1171
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
Yes it is... Been licking my chops all morning. That thing is SWEET. They also cleaned house with awards. Car of the year AND Truck of the year.

GM, ya done good.

Link to the unveiling video:

guys, let's stay on topic.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #1172
436SS

Drives: 2010 1SS
[QUOTE=Sharkonwheels;7333215]
PS - I was told that there was defacement to 1 or more vehicles on the lot, that they found when they went in this morning.

Sad as it is; it was just a matter of time before something like this was going to happen. Either way you look at it; the dealership is going to be out of more money than this situation is worth. It's a no-brainer; take the hit of satisfying the victim; or lose more by way of sales/business and vandalism!!!!! Easy math......
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #1173
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
jhoop302-

We have been following this thread since the beginning and really feel bad for what you and your wife are having to go through with the loss of your ZL1. One of the things we pride ourselves on here is customer service, and since you have had to face a nightmare with this whole ordeal, we would like to show you that there are still companies out there that value their customers. I don't believe that you had our CAI on your original ZL1, but we would be honored to have our CAI on your new Camaro. We would like to offer you a brand new CAI for the replacement vehicle once you receive it. Just give us a call, ask for Bill, and I'll make sure you have something to smile about, hell, we'll even throw in a few Microfiber Detailing cloths to keep it clean!

If you want to check out the specs of the system, here they are: http://www.coldairinductions.com/201...d-black-finish

I see that PFADT racing did right by you too!!
NICE ONE COLD AIR INDUCTIONS!!!!

He's going to be stoked on this. I'm smelling a future build thread that everyone is going to be happy to see.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #1174
Sharkonwheels

[QUOTE=436SS;7333314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post

Sad as it is; it was just a matter of time before something like this was going to happen. Either way you look at it; the dealership is going to be out of more money than this situation is worth. It's a no-brainer; take the hit of satisfying the victim; or lose more by way of sales/business and vandalism!!!!! Easy math......
I've run it past a few dealer friends of mine, and they said the same thing.
They would've put him in a new one, gotten a signoff on a hush-hush, and be done.

SIMPLY to avoid word getting out, or the embarrassment.

How an organization could let this spiral out of control like this has me baffled.

This is marketing 101 here... Why would you even RISK your reputation?
They're probably going to spend more than the $13-20K on addressing it after the fact. You KNOW they're going to have to come out and say something.

I dunno... Some people just confuse me... They seem to like to
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #1175
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
For one they didn't find a comparable car. The car was wrecked and had many more miles. Second, attacking the op over saying he didn't feel the offer the dealer made wasn't good enough is wrong. You can't replace the car he had. You can't argue with me on that factor either. He traded his TWO and I'll say it again in case you can't read, TWO Camaros for this zl1. Someone stole the car that was an employee at the time, wrecks it and then they insult Mr Hooper and his wife by saying ok we will replace it with a car that's been wrecked. The dealer is truly not making an effort if that is the car that they consider comparable. Plus it's a dealership and in truth, most of the time dealerships will do almost anything to make money and not lose any. As is the case with all business but dealerships are known for screwing over customers. Most not all. You can't argue that.
I don't think anyone has attacked the OP for not accepting the offered car. BUT, he made it clear that even tinted windows and a sunroof that it had and his car didn't would probably be a deal breaker. See the list of available cars posted below. SMALL list. It will not be easy to find that car. The dealer actually got pretty close and hoped the extra 4k cash money would help him accept it. It's not as bad as it's made to sound. Unacceptable to the OP, sure. But to assume the dealer was somehow trying to screw him is just not fair.

As far as trading in two Camaros, a dealer can't be held at extra bay for that. REEEEEAAALLLLYYYYYY sux for the OP though.

In hind sight the dealer probably should have ordered the new car but the blasting started before they had a chance to reallize that they might not be able to find a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatt View Post
2012 Model Year TOTAL ZL1 production.

Black 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GBA 465

Victory Red 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GCN 321

Black 1ES37 &MYD Auto GBA 252

Victory Red 1ES37 &MYD Auto GCN 159

Ashen Gray 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GLJ 144

Inferno Orange 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GCR 107

Summit White 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GAZ 94

Ashen Gray 1ES37 &MYD Auto GLJ 72

Silver 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GAN 62

Crystal Red Tint 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GBE 53

Rally Yellow 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GCO 52

Silver 1ES37 &MYD Auto GAN 49

Inferno Orange 1ES37 &MYD Auto GCR 49

Summit White 1ES37 &MYD Auto GAZ 45

Crystal Red Tint 1ES37 &MYD Auto GBE 26

Rally Yellow 1ES37 &MYD Auto GCO 17

Imperial Blue 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GAP 2

Imperial Blue 1ES37 &MYD Auto GAP 2

Also see: Official ZL1 Photos Threads (by Color)

And herein lies the problem. Limited production.
What was the color of the Hooper's ZL1? Anyone know?
Kinda hard to tell from the pics posted, black or ashen gray?
Black I think. But he did not like the other one for tinted windows he didn't want and a sunroof he didn't want. (among other things I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
I think getting a NEW one is perfectly reasonable, and in the end, the Hoopers will be the one's that are left wanting in this situation. Sure, the "value" of a used 2012 is lower now, but in 30 years, you think that 2012 or the 2014 will have a greater value? I'm betting the former.
I agree getting a new one would be fair. Just not demanded. What would have been fair is for the dealer to have been allowed to try to find something without getting blasted like this. So they find one that had been bumped and needed repair (not like it was in an all out collision) and it was as close as they could find so quickly and they ask him if it's acceptable. What is so horrible about that. I do not believe that they tried to 'screw him' with a shitty car. They recognized that the car was not exact so offered to give him 4 thousand dollars on top of it. However the dealer had already been irreparably harmed by the time they realized they would not be able to find an acceptable comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
It is really disheartening that it has gone this far, taken this long, and he may have to undergo a lawsuit.

Anyone who reads this thread is going to second guess taking their car to the dealer for service... just because of how Mr. Hooper is being treated.

It is

The greedy mentality at dealerships really needs to change... and soon.
My car will NEVER go to another shop. But I realized that well before this. To me, if you have something that you consider irreplaceable then you better not take it to a shop or dealer anyway. And if you can't do repairs yourself that a shop would need your car overnight for then I'd say don't own it. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpyle View Post
No idea ... but do you think they'll get a new one? Or have one pulled from another location with a few dings in it?
I think a comparable pole can be found with the exact same miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1letx View Post
This dealer is nuts to try to find a replacement for this car. I meen there is only
Black 1ES37 &MG9 Manual GBA 465 and
Black 1ES37 &MYD Auto GBA 252
So thats only 717 black ZL1s. Plus how many of them are build like the original and how many of them have the same or less miles, no wreck, and as clean as the customers was. Then the big one how many are for sale were the dealer could even get it. I just dont see a way for the dealer to replace this car with a good replacement. They need to pony up and do the right thing. Replace this mans car with a new car. People have to remember 2012 was a lower production year and that car will hold a higher value for alot longer. It may someday have been worth more than any other year the ZL1 is built. Just my $.02 Good luck hope it gets better soon.
Agreed totally.

But the dealer was not given a fair chance to realize that. What should have happened is the dealer tries to find a replacement, gives a a shot, unacceptable to the customer, realizes it would be best at that point to order a new one.

That confirmation did not come fast enough for the customer.

What did NOT happen here was the dealer telling the customer IMMEDIATELY that they'll order a brand new car right away. That pissed the customer off. Some blame the dealer for that. HARD.

The ONLY way this was going to be avoided was for the dealer to order a brand new car right away. Anything less was NOT going to save this dealer.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #1176
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://jalopnik.com/
The general manager told me that the Hoopers then asked for $11,000 instead of $5,000 to take the replacement car. That offer did not pan out.

"I almost think it's extortion," the general manager told me. "I don't think any sane person would turn down [this deal.]" He later concluded, "I almost think they're as bad as the guy who stole the car."
Once I read this... I jumped to the 'give the guy a new car' boat and couldn't care less to hear the dealership's side of the story. They have issues that extend from the top.

Also, before the Hoopers knew the replacement car had previous damage they were going to take it if the dealership added another $6,000 to the offer. Not sure why some are saying he was out for a new car from day one.

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1