Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #169
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Posted in the manual thread...

Last edited by Legend; 04-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #170
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I posted my response in the manual thread...deleted it here!

Last edited by Legend; 04-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #171
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCABlackChevy View Post
I own 2 LS1 NBM Trans Am WS6's, one manual and one auto. I am planning on selling them to buy a convertible Camaro SS in the coming year, and there is one resounding theme when talking to people about selling them:

Nobody wants the auto. Plain and simple. I started by telling folks I would sell one of them (the auto); they would ask if it was the manual one, and would scoff when I said it was the auto.

Most people say manuals are more fun to drive, and after owning both manual and auto in extremely similar cars, I agree.
Very first post and you are on the wrong thread.. I foresee great things from you. I kid... I kid

See, those people who won't buy a car strictly on auto or manual trans are people who can't BARE the thought that their friends would make fun of them. If this is a weekend driver, then yes, Manual is the way to go. If it is a DD, it isn't...plain and simple. But I would venture to say 9 out of 10 of those individuals who went M6 were because status symbol...and that my friend is pathetic. That is why there are SO many M6 owners in here right now. If you didn't care or it didn't bother you... why in the hell are you posting on the A6 thread!? You have a manual thread just below this one...

My friends tried to play "who has a bigger sack" game with me too and it was squashed pretty quickly...

-"Oh, Taylor, you have an auto?!"
-"Yea.... how many 400 hp vehicles that snap heads like this car does.. do you own?"
-*crickets*

(granted I have done my share of mods...but this car was fun to drive on day one)
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.

Last edited by brantley847; 04-27-2011 at 11:12 AM.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #172
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
Can't drive a stick, See no reason in Learning, but to me it's all about technology, I'm not going to use a rotary phone by a car that doesn't have Power steering, Auto = Technology getting better Stick = Dudes can't move past the Model T

Do Manual Guys turn off, When you do it do you get bigger

Power Steering
ABS
Traction Control
Stability Conrol
You also dont get a limited slip differential if you get an automatic. So; you lose technology... basic technology from the damn 60s.... so go ahead and spin your 1 tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
Are you *sure* about that? The stats I was reading before purchasing my Camaro indicated that the manuals were *slightly* faster and more fuel efficient. Not bashing autos, but I specifically remember the manuals having the edge in those departments.
You're right. Manual gets better mileage and has a quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Can't refute facts, and you got em right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
=========
Not true...sure it shifts faster, but a manual will come off the line much quicker than the auto.
absolutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
===========

I thought you had much better control with a manual in snow and ice???
100%. It's all about driver competency. if you have the right tires and an understanding of traction, you can get through a lot of harsh stuff in a manual Camaro, I know, I did it this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
Coming from the Grand Prix community, yes, the 4T65E-HD was the weakest slush box POS I've ever driven

I don't care if people choose autos. Go ahead and drive your slushbox The only thing that bothers me is that the manual transmission and the art of driving one is fading. It's almost impossible to find manual transmissions these days and some cars are auto ONLY. That is really what bothers me. Other than that, I don't care if some people prefer autos to manuals. I LOVE driving my manual and would not enjoy driving my Camaro even half as much if it was an auto
I used to have a 96 2DR GP with the 3100 and the 4T60E, rebuilt it 3 times; aweful. Then moved up to the 06 GT s/c. intake, exhaust, pulley, ignition and i had to rebuild the trans. ugh. then when OD[4th gear] went out; I just traded in for the Camaro baby! Love to see other w-body people on here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Wrong again.
nope, actually you are; no offense. just facts. sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzpat View Post
Completely and utterly wrong.

Sorry to say it, until 3rd gear the auto has an advantage because of its torque down low. Played with my fair share of m6 camaros at the track and I had them beat off the line pretty hard every time.
nope. Im sorry, it's just not true. I did it. I raced an auto 2010 SS A6 and a 2010 SS M6. Raced a v6m6 and a v6a6. switched drivers, switched lanes. just not true. sorry. Also back in the day I had a buddy with an 88 Mustang 5spd and his uncle had a 92 mustang 5spd auto. both had near identical mods and ran in the same class. 9/10 My buddy with the 5spd beat him. Im sorry. It's just not true. Sure, on average, perhaps you could be right. But with a person that really knows their car and really knows that gearbox; Im sorry, theres no beating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Oh yeah...paddle shifters are not like a manual car! It's not even close! I know that'll make a few mad but I'll be the one who says it...little paddles on the steering wheel is not the same as driving a manual car!

Happy for those who like it...but not for me!
Well Said !
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #173
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 View Post
You also dont get a limited slip differential if you get an automatic. So; you lose technology... basic technology from the damn 60s.... so go ahead and spin your 1 tire.
Are you honest to God debating that an Auto's technology is more basic than a manual?

How many autos were running in the 50s and 60s?...Is a V6 technology from the 60s too?

..... yea, I'm done
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #174
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
I had a compound fracture of the left arm and I couldn't hold the wheel with my left for three months, so I ordered an auto instead of a manual. Damn Mustangs, how dare you hit me while I'm out for a jog.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #175
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
You mean I got the only L99 with limited slip? This thing's going to be a collector's dream. I wonder how that happened?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #176
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb8 View Post
Even your expensive sports cars today don't come with a manual option. Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Bugatti, to name a few, are dual clutch automatics i think. The manual is gradually going away.
I got the auto cause i never learned anything else
This is a shame. Enzo Ferrari would roll in his grave if he knew that many Ferraris today don't even come with a manual transmission.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #177
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
You mean I got the only L99 with limited slip? This thing's going to be a collector's dream. I wonder how that happened?
thanks for proving that the automatic guys are the sarcastic a$$holes. I was referring to the v6's. Im SO sorry for assuming you would understand what I was talking about.
Team LLT-M6
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #178
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I never learned to drive a manual. I would like to learn, but don't want to drive one as a daily driver in urban traffic.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #179
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
thanks for proving that the automatic guys are the sarcastic a$$holes. I was referring to the v6's. Im SO sorry for assuming you would understand what I was talking about.
Ouch! That one stung me.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #180
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
It's interesting that Automatic drivers find the need to try to justify their purchase. I've never had to defend my purchase of my manual. Go figure...

There's nothing inherently wrong with owning an automatic. Whatever floats your boat. Just like there's nothing inherently wrong with owning a V6.

Still, I don't think you find many (if any) people asking "Why didn't you get the Automatic", just like you don't find many people asking "Why didn't you get the V6". People DO ask why you didn't get Manual or a V8. Why? Because that's most peoples perception of what the Camaro -should- be. It doesn't mean you're wrong to get different options though.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #181
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
The way you were laying down smack, it never occurred to me that you were driving around on only six cylinders...oh wait, that's a different stupid argument, isn't it.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #182
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
The way you were laying down smack, it never occurred to me that you were driving around on only six cylinders...oh wait, that's a different stupid argument, isn't it.
Im bitter that I couldn't afford a v8. You're bitter that you got an automatic slushbox and paid more for it.

Very different.

oh, and you paid to have 26HP taken away from you.

Just sayin
Team LLT-M6