Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Are we having a midlife crisis?

According to this article, the #1 thing you don't want to say to a middle aged man is "Did you really just get a red Corvette?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5759720.html

Now I'm not quite 59 yet (48 to be exact) and I didn't buy a red Corvette but I did buy a red Camaro. Does that mean I'm having a mini-midlife crisis? More importantly, does this mean I'll be buying a red Corvette in 10 years?

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
I'm not 48 yet (soon, very soon) so I get where you are coming from. The wife has a red (CRT) Camaro. I do have a Corvette that I don't drive much, but I won it. I tell everyone that I still have my midlife crisis car in reserve. I'm thinking a new Vette for my 50th!
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
LOL. Why do mid-life crisis guys like red?

I do notice that the majority of guys in sportscars tend to be older gentlemen, yes.

Definitely corvettes have that stigma….so do Ferraris, I think. Around here Porches do too.

But what I find disheartening is the man driving the McLaren, the BMW, the Lambourghini ….is usually nerdy as hell! The night could not be dark enough if you know what I mean.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
How much of it is a midlife crisis and how much of it is most people can't afford those cars until they're middle aged?
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
aurora

Its possible that EVERY guy would have one if they were "allowed".

Many guys tell me they would like to have a car like mine but their wife won't let them. What a nightmare. Reminds me why I will never be married.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
I do have a Corvette that I don't drive much, but I won it.
Cool! How sweet is that! How did you win a vette?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
Ha I'm only 31 and I want a red corvette! I just think that means you have good taste lol.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
I started my mid life crisis when I got out of the Army at the age 21.. 1967..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Here's my midlife crisis oh and I'm 51
Attached Images

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Mid life crises. I hate people that assume you're having a midlife crises when you buy a car.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
The only crisis is the paying for the vehicle, LoL!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Younger dudes WANT sports cars, but generally don't have much disposable income until their 40s or 50s (I know... there are plenty of exceptions... every rule, blah, blah, blah...). Once the kids grow up, job promotions have bumped the salary up, a relative here or there has left an inheritance... then they can FINALLY buy the car they've WANTED since they were pushing around a toy fire truck.

Crisis? A word used by the jealous haters. They can't let a good thing be a good thing... there's just GOT to be some nefarious reason for some dude to have finally gotten his dream car. They can't accept that he finally has the money to enjoy the realization of a lifelong wish.

Yup, mid 40s here... driving around in a yellow Camaro. It's no crisis, I'm not stressed about my age, and I am not trying to trade the wife in for a younger model. No angst over aging... but damn happy rolling around in a nicer car than the majority of cars on my listed of "once owned" heaps of crap.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Younger dudes WANT sports cars, but generally don't have much disposable income until their 40s or 50s (I know... there are plenty of exceptions... every rule, blah, blah, blah...). Once the kids grow up, job promotions have bumped the salary up, a relative here or there has left an inheritance... then they can FINALLY buy the car they've WANTED since they were pushing around a toy fire truck.
Crisis? A word used by the jealous haters. They can't let a good thing be a good thing... there's just GOT to be some nefarious reason for some dude to have finally gotten his dream car. They can't accept that he finally has the money to enjoy the realization of a lifelong wish.

Yup, mid 40s here... driving around in a yellow Camaro. It's no crisis, I'm not stressed about my age, and I am not trying to trade the wife in for a younger model. No angst over aging... but damn happy rolling around in a nicer car than the majority of cars on my listed of "once owned" heaps of crap.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post

This.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote