Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
MrFreeman

Drives: a
Scosche/Alpine kit questions and recommendations

Hello all. I'm planning on replacing the factory radio in a 2012 Camaro but before I did that I wanted to get some recommendations along with a better idea of what exactly was needed and any possible downsides. I've read a lot of threads and seen some mention of some issues that may come up but wanted to just make sure.

So I suppose for recommendations (I was really hoping to spend about $1k or less). I saw some different options but wasn't sure if there was anything cheaper. So what I'm looking for was:
1. Backup camera support
2. GPS support (not the Garmin iPhone app. An actual GPS)
3. HD radio (nice but not required if it makes a large jump in price)
4. Bluetooth (Both Handsfree and streaming (A2DP))
5. XM
6. Onstar
7. Steering wheel controls

Now on to the most important part. What all I would need. I just want to make sure I take everything into account.
1. Scosche kit (obviously)
2. Radio (again obvious)
3. Backup camera
4. Onstar module for the radio
5. Steering wheel control module (I saw an alpine kit on crutchfield which supposedly had this included. I'm just assuming that's based solely on the radio?)
6. Antenna adapter (Included with the kit? Or is this separate?)

Now the questions:
1. The shark fin XM antenna. Is there an adapter that would allow you to use that or would you have to run a different antenna? (Such as this http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas...gm-single.html)
2. The factory microphone. Can you use that? It seems as though you have to use the one that comes with the radio. How big are those generally? Best place to put them?
3. You can't control the Onstar volume except with the sterring wheel controls correct?
4. Are there any other little quirks or gotchas?
5. Recommendations for the best prices? Crutchfield only seems to have the Alpine kit which is a little more than I wanted to spend but some ideas on what works best would be awesome. DoubleD Mods seems to have a good selection as well along with all the required parts (I think).

Basically any thoughts, inputs, and experience would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I know what I'm going to get myself into before I put the money down. Thanks in advance.
MrFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
alpine 910 and perfect fit kit covers everything you need. questions 1-3 are no I'm pretty sure from what we found with mine. We didn't really try either, but by wiring diagram, I say no.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
MrFreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
alpine 910 and perfect fit kit covers everything you need. questions 1-3 are no I'm pretty sure from what we found with mine. We didn't really try either, but by wiring diagram, I say no.
If you don't mind me asking. Where did you get it from and how much? Where did the antenna and microphone end up going?

Also looking at the specs on crutchfield for the 910 it has bluetooth for the hands free but doesn't support bluetooth audio streaming (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700CMO9...12#details-tab)

Last edited by MrFreeman; 04-09-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I'll try to answer some questions for you.

Now the questions:
1. The shark fin XM antenna. Is there an adapter that would allow you to use that or would you have to run a different antenna? (Such as this http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas...gm-single.html)
2. The factory microphone. Can you use that? It seems as though you have to use the one that comes with the radio. How big are those generally? Best place to put them?
3. You can't control the Onstar volume except with the sterring wheel controls correct?
4. Are there any other little quirks or gotchas?
5. Recommendations for the best prices? Crutchfield only seems to have the Alpine kit which is a little more than I wanted to spend but some ideas on what works best would be awesome. DoubleD Mods seems to have a good selection as well along with all the required parts (I think).

With any radio you my have to buy an XM adapter for the XM radio to work.

1 yes that will work with the Camaro XM antenna but you will loose signal strength. It is not as strong as the XM antenna.
2 I have not read about any one using the onstar microphone. They are about 3/8 in diameter and about 1 in long. I have mine next to the rear view mirror.
3. No you can not control the Onstar volume using the radio just the steering wheel control.
Google the radio you want to buy and you will find a lot of places that are cheaper the Crutchfeild.
When you buy the Scoshe/Alpine dash kit make sure it has the newest software and firmware. The old software and firmware the steering controls did work allong with some other problems.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
yup...what caddy said. I dislike satellite radio. lol So I don't use it. I hid my alpine mic up off the headliner above rear view mirror. That's in the black area off windshield.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Dragon Tats

Drives: 2010 Black LT1
I installed the Alpine 910 in my car. I do have a backup camera installed, gps, no on the HD radio and I finished it off with the Alpine dash kit
Dragon Tats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
MrFreeman

So for the Mic I guess the best place is by the rearview mirror. I may wind up using the actual XM antenna if it makes a huge difference. I'll test it out. Does it look like all the parts required are covered or am I missing anything? At least anything obvious?

Any other radio recommendations? Preferred sellers?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreeman View Post
So for the Mic I guess the best place is by the rearview mirror. I may wind up using the actual XM antenna if it makes a huge difference. I'll test it out. Does it look like all the parts required are covered or am I missing anything? At least anything obvious?

Any other radio recommendations? Preferred sellers?
I give you more details about using the Camaro XM antenna. This is with a Pioneer avic-z130bt radio
This my test area. This the way I take to my daughters house.
1 About 10 miles of normal city driving.
2 There a road that goes threw Fort Lewis and it about 10 miles long. It set up as this woods the 5 ft after railroad tracks then about 20 ft of clear area. Then a 2 lane road and then 5 ft then woods again.
1 I was using a Stratus 6. city driving no loss of signal. The Fort Lewis I lost signal about 6 times for about a sec.
2 I got the Xm to Sirius adapter and tried that using the pioneer radio. city lost signal 1 time. Fort Lewis about 12 times for 1 to 3 seconds. In one area lost signal for about a 1/2 mile 15 seconds signal lost.
3 switched back to the Sirius antenna using the pioneer radio. I lost signal about less the 1 sec. for the 20 mile trip.
I left it using the Sirius antenna. The Camaro XM antenna may work ok if you not in a very wooded area, tall buildings.