Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
MrFreeman

Drives: a
2013 Dual Mode (NPP) Exhaust

Hello once again. I'm hoping some can help out or at least provide some feedback. I have a 2013 2LT with the dual mode exhaust. My concern is that there's an occasional rattle which is either coming from the valves or the muffler from what I can tell.

I took it to the dealer (they're going to call me Monday after they speak with GM). Their initial statement was it was the "normal" vales opening and closing. You can hear the rattle on startup for a brief second but you notice it quite noticeably in things like parking garagesat specific RPMs (seems to be a sweet spot to where it's just a constant rattle). Otherwise I don't typically notice it. My thought it there's shouldn't be a rattle even when opening and closing or really at any time. Has anyone else noticed this? Or even better has anyone found a way to get it to go away? I've read several threads which indicate it's an issue but according to the dealer it's only for the V8's not for the V6s. Supposedly according to the person they talked to it's something GM "is aware of" but they've replaced exhausts to only have it come back so they don't have a fix.

I'm just wondering if it is "normal" (I never noticed it before). Or if I'm getting the run around.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
MrFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
slim-n-none

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS RS M6 (sold)
This is how i fixed mine-

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ferrerid=40325

Of course its a v8, but its a good place to start.
slim-n-none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
MrFreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-n-none View Post
This is how i fixed mine-

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ferrerid=40325

Of course its a v8, but its a good place to start.
Thanks. I'll try to give it a look in the morning (depending on weather) and see if I can trace it back to that. I'll be sure to post back what I find.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
MrFreeman

So I took a look today and it does indeed seem to be the actual valves themselves that rattle when opening and closing. I tapped up by where the metal disc should be (based on the pictures from the other thread) and I couldn't hear anything. So I suppose my next question would be is it normal for those things to rattle when opening and closing? The valves that is.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Chi-One

Drives: 2013 DUSK Special Edition
Mine doesn't rattle.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
MrFreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-One View Post
Mine doesn't rattle.
Thanks. At least I don't feel like I'm going crazy.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Mine doesn't rattle.

You said it happens at a specific rpm range....what is it?

To determine if this is coming from the valves opening and closing I would do this...

I'd pull the fuse, this will eliminate the valves opening and closing. They will just be open. Drive around a bit and see if you can reproduce the rattle. If it goes away you know it has to do with the opening and closing of the valves. If the rattle still exists, you know it isn't the valves opening and closing.

You can always just put the fuse back in
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
MrFreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Mine doesn't rattle.

You said it happens at a specific rpm range....what is it?

To determine if this is coming from the valves opening and closing I would do this...

I'd pull the fuse, this will eliminate the valves opening and closing. They will just be open. Drive around a bit and see if you can reproduce the rattle. If it goes away you know it has to do with the opening and closing of the valves. If the rattle still exists, you know it isn't the valves opening and closing.

You can always just put the fuse back in
I don't have the exact range but it's the lower ones. Around 2-3K RPM...generally I'll notice it in parking garages...which I generally try not to speed through

The dealer should be calling me back tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'll try the fuse pull tomorrow if I have time and see if that eliminates it.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Msmall143

If you're not under load at 2-3k rpm the valves would be closed.

Give us an update when the dealer calls
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
MrFreeman

Quote:
If you're not under load at 2-3k rpm the valves would be closed.

Give us an update when the dealer calls
So the dealer heard back from GM. They stated that they're going to try to extend the actuator arms (I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to do) but according to GM this fixed it in some cases. Assuming that doesn't work then GM said to replace the whole exhaust. I have to get in touch to see when they have an available appointment time for me to come in. I'll be sure to update as I have more info though. I'm still open to any opinions that people have though.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Here's how I fixed mine...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
Msmall143

Well, sucks to deal with repairs but at least they are acknowledging it. It confirms our thoughts that something was wrong with the exhaust. FYI I did the npp fuse pull today and enjoy the new found free between 1-3k rpm
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
MrFreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Here's how I fixed mine...

That's a pretty awesome fix. Never thought it'd be that simple
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
MrFreeman

Quote:
Well, sucks to deal with repairs but at least they are acknowledging it. It confirms our thoughts that something was wrong with the exhaust. FYI I did the npp fuse pull today and enjoy the new found free between 1-3k rpm

Yeah. I finally was able to get them on the phone to schedule another appointment. Fingers crossed. I'll let everyone know next Tuesday what happens.

I honestly thought of doing the fuse pull as well...still deciding though. I imagine on the highway I'd get tired of the sound at some point.