Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 07:01 PM   #29
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Some of the worst "improvements" to enhance EPA rated mileage:
  • Timing belts instead of chains, expensive service every 50k miles
  • Turbos on small displacement engines with no real world improvement in mileage despite what happens on a test stand.
  • Over complicating automatic transmissions with more than 6 gears

My Equinox with a 1.5L Turbo gets 24MPG. WHAT A JOKE!!!

If it had a Buick 3.8, it would get at least 27! My 2002 Park Avenue got 29.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:05 PM   #30
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
LOL! This clown car company announced today that its killing off the malibu in favor of an electric!

Farewell GM! Hopefully that idiot Mary Barra retires before she smokes another company!
I hadn’t seen this yet.

Oy vay. She is absolutely insane. The board has got to stop her. Does anyone in this company’s management have any common sense any more?
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:13 PM   #31
GreenZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I hadn’t seen this yet.

Oy vay. She is absolutely insane. The board has got to stop her. Does anyone in this company’s management have any common sense any more?

She's the pilot and she's target fixated on the ground. It appears as though its too late. I know of other dumb companies ran by clones of hers that will soon be in trouble too!

My inlaws dealership took a buyout for the Buick Brand from GM. Smartest thing they ever did. Buick is trying to be the next GM moniker to go down in flames. Chevy is trying to follow soon after from the look of it.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:24 PM   #32
olrocker

Quote:
My Equinox with a 1.5L Turbo gets 24MPG. WHAT A JOKE!!!

If it had a Buick 3.8, it would get at least 27! My 2002 Park Avenue got 29.
Unfortunately it’s not only fuel economy but emission regulations. Those have increased even more so that fuel economy regs over the last 20 years.

GM had no choice but to end the 3800 in 2007 because it had gotten to the point it was impossible for that motor to meet ever increasing emission regs. That’s why the 3.6 was brought up - it’s not much better on fuel but far more emission compliant.

You should see the mess diesel guys have on their hands now. $10,000 worth of DPFs, a billion oxygen sensors, sophisticated, complicated, and expensive exhaust systems, and of course the DEF additive. If you don’t maintain a diesel to a T, changing the oil really every 3,000 miles no matter what, and not letting it sit and idle long (it’s a diesel - they used to be made to do that) you’ll have $10k in repairs that AREN’T the actual engine issue.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-08-2024, 07:42 PM   #33
GreenZLE

Quote:
Unfortunately it’s not only fuel economy but emission regulations. Those have increased even more so that fuel economy regs over the last 20 years.

GM had no choice but to end the 3800 in 2007 because it had gotten to the point it was impossible for that motor to meet ever increasing emission regs. That’s why the 3.6 was brought up - it’s not much better on fuel but far more emission compliant.

You should see the mess diesel guys have on their hands now. $10,000 worth of DPFs, a billion oxygen sensors, sophisticated, complicated, and expensive exhaust systems, and of course the DEF additive. If you don’t maintain a diesel to a T, changing the oil really every 3,000 miles no matter what, and not letting it sit and idle long (it’s a diesel - they used to be made to do that) you’ll have $10k in repairs that AREN’T the actual engine issue.

Yep, that diesel catalyst is a huge scam! Did you know that diesel emissions were reduced 90% from 1990 to 2011? The increased emissions regulations on OTR trucking after 2010 caused the fuel mileage to go from 8MPG to 6 or 7MPG. What a huge waste!!
Old 05-09-2024, 09:28 AM   #34
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:

It's so true gov regulates way past the point of making products worse. Manufacturers usually won't mind if it works as a cost hurdle that hurts the competition more. GM should mind, because it'll kill their bread & butter.

Do not buy into the excuse making against a new 3800. Current smallblocks can, so can a 3.8 if they want that size.

My main daily is still a diesel for now. I used to let the motor bog down, and learned rich & cold are bad for DPFs. Maxing the highway percent of miles, or alternately giving it more air in a lower than holdable gear helps. Yes, that sacrifices mpg. Then, you're at the mercy of the DEF system, with multiple fluid heaters and 2 NOx sensors, hoping to avoid a fault-forced limp mode count-down. An un-necessary, dangerous limp-mode.

A diesel range extender is a better idea than a big-battery electric truck. It would need no DEF system, not run lean with the battery as a load buffer. Then, an 8-lug wheel electric truck might actually have 2500 capability.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:45 AM   #35
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
LOL! This clown car company announced today that its killing off the malibu in favor of an electric!

Farewell GM! Hopefully that idiot Mary Barra retires before she smokes another company!
My last news update I was told that GM will introduce a new generation of Malibu.

If GM doesn't solidify and get a better hold on the automotive field, they will pin themselves in a worse hole than ford, with solely relying on the truck market. The truck market is lucrative, but without any other notable product it will further erode GM's reputation of being a competitive automotive corporation.

Edit: I saw the article by NYTimes online, so the rumor is basically true. The EVs I feel will be less than successful. At any rate, I wish Chevrolet well. The company will be in store for hard times. Honda Accord, Civics; Toyota Camry and Corolla are still selling. I'm not even mentioning Hyundai and Kia. Something is terribly wrong with GM's vision. On the one hand, the Malibu nameplate is very old, so it isn't such a bad decision to retire it for something new. On the other hand, continuing to ignore the sedan and alternate car markets seems to be quite unwise, especially since there has been a marked kickback rejection of EVs. This will mean that besides the trucks, the market will continue to be lucrative for Civic, Accord and Camry. I feel that this was a poor decision.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic

Last edited by lbls1; 05-09-2024 at 09:59 AM.
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:09 AM   #36
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

The Malibu is proper garbage. Buh-bye, Malibu. And personally, I'm over sedans. The crossover is a worthy replacement to most utilitarian sedans IMO.

And this week I drove an Equinox (LT) for the first time. It's a good SUV but has some glaring deficiencies. It's a plastic shitbox inside. The 6-speed auto is the only thing that potentially competes with how horrible and archaic GM's 4-speed autos are in a modern world. Terrible.

Maybe Equinoxes get better in higher trim levels, but geez...that thing was CHEAP.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:58 AM   #37
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Do not buy into the excuse making against a new 3800. Current smallblocks can, so can a 3.8 if they want that size.
It’s not the displacement that was the problem, it was the engine architecture that dated back to 1962. It had been refined and improved to the point nothing further could be done to improve emissions.

GM’s current Gen V small block design debuted in 2014 as an all new engine design. So it meets current emission standards.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-09-2024, 11:13 AM   #38
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

And the 3.6 has more hp and torque while being better on fuel, IMO it sounds better, and is more fun to drive.

Wait, what about diesels? LOL. That's nonsense. Modern diesels are some of the most robust and powerful diesels on the road. We're like 20 years down the road from when heavy trucks started adopting DEF. Things have changed...a lot. And having owned and driven heavy diesels and diesels in light duty pickups, that sounds a little cuckoo given my own experience with them.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:25 AM   #39
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
It's so true gov regulates way past the point of making products worse. Manufacturers usually won't mind if it works as a cost hurdle that hurts the competition more. GM should mind, because it'll kill their bread & butter.

My main daily is still a diesel for now. I used to let the motor bog down, and learned rich & cold are bad for DPFs. Maxing the highway percent of miles, or alternately giving it more air in a lower than holdable gear helps. Yes, that sacrifices mpg. Then, you're at the mercy of the DEF system, with multiple fluid heaters and 2 NOx sensors, hoping to avoid a fault-forced limp mode count-down. An un-necessary, dangerous limp-mode.

A diesel range extender is a better idea than a big-battery electric truck. It would need no DEF system, not run lean with the battery as a load buffer. Then, an 8-lug wheel electric truck might actually have 2500 capability.
On the FIRST DAY of ownership my Colorado diesel threw a code for "Bad DEF". Then it happened two more times within the next year. Dealerships were able to clear the code but could find nothing wrong sensor-wise. Problem was what if I'm out in the middle of west Texas (which I occasionally was) and it decides to throw another bogus code? You get 100 miles before it shuts down. It's very easy to be more than 100 miles from much of anything in the western states.

Rather than deal with that uncertainty I tuned out DEF but WTF were they thinking when they basically shut the f^cking truck down after only 100 miles?!?! Especially when the trucks software and/or sensors are evidently pretty unreliable. Really pissed me off.

Next truck will probably be a Tacoma.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:34 AM   #40
GreenZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The Malibu is proper garbage. Buh-bye, Malibu. And personally, I'm over sedans. The crossover is a worthy replacement to most utilitarian sedans IMO.

And this week I drove an Equinox (LT) for the first time. It's a good SUV but has some glaring deficiencies. It's a plastic shitbox inside. The 6-speed auto is the only thing that potentially competes with how horrible and archaic GM's 4-speed autos are in a modern world. Terrible.

Maybe Equinoxes get better in higher trim levels, but geez...that thing was CHEAP.

Yep, mines a generic terd even though it has the LT AWD package. I'd much rather have had a big sedan with a trunk. There's nowhere to lock things up in an Equinox. Not even a glove box lock! I borrow my kids Impala when I go to the shooting range because I dont want a cop taking a stroll through my range bag.

Once my ZLE is paid off next year, I'm thinking about buying a BMW M5 and ditching the Equinox.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:38 AM   #41
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Oh... and then the transmission went out two weeks past the warranty expiration date

Luckily it was 200 mile shy of the mileage limit so GM stepped up and covered 2/3 of it, but only because it is a known problem.

My next truck will probably be a Tacoma.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:30 PM   #42
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
And the 3.6 has more hp and torque while being better on fuel, IMO it sounds better, and is more fun to drive.

Wait, what about diesels? LOL. That's nonsense. Modern diesels are some of the most robust and powerful diesels on the road. We're like 20 years down the road from when heavy trucks started adopting DEF. Things have changed...a lot. And having owned and driven heavy diesels and diesels in light duty pickups, that sounds a little cuckoo given my own experience with them.
There’s nothing wrong with the engines themselves. The actual engines are reliable and towing ability is still superior.

I’m talking about all the other added crap beyond the DEF. Have you actually seen the complete fuel and emission system of any of your modern diesels? I mean those built in the last 10 years, not 20 years ago. The DPF (diesel particulate filters, essentially their new catalytic converters) alone is about $7k for the part without labor and those things are going south especially on commercial Ram/Sprinters and like crazy, just after the warranty is out. They clog up when idling.
Sharkskin/Light gray