Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #197
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
I don't fully understand this comment..quote"The truth is the ONLY aftermarket intake CARB approved is the GM version which isn't even available"..did you mean intake CAI.?
please elaborate..

So now i ordered about 5 hours ago,,an INJEN ,,so now what,,,throw it in dump?
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #198
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Glad I live in NC, LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #199
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
I don't fully understand this comment..quote"The truth is the ONLY aftermarket intake CARB approved is the GM version which isn't even available"..did you mean intake CAI.?
please elaborate..

You live in Florida? They are not on the list of inspection states according to the above article.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #200
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Well Pa is on the list that adopted the Cali standards and I've never heard of any vehicle not passing because of a aftermaket CAI.

Shoot, my dealer installed my shorties that didn't yet have that CARB EO sticker.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #201
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
please elaborate..

Correct, Cold Air Intake.

I was able to find on the Injen website and the CARB number is "PENDING" which means it is NOT approved. This is why I did not get the Injen. Too hard to remove and put the stock box back in if I need to.
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #202
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerDrache View Post
Not sure how the inspections work in PA, but the issue I have is not the inspection I have to get for title transfer but the emissions inspection we have to do every 2 years or so.

Glad you didn't have an issue. I am thinking of just trying to see if it will pass and if not I will switch it out and get it reinspected.
In PA the emissions are done annually when you bring in your car for inspections. Some inspectors check for the issue, most don't.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #203
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Sounds like to me that some states just do the inspections, take the fee, and it really doesn't matter what you got on your car. No teeth at all to the laws, but it brings in revenue.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #204
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Well Pa is on the list that adopted the Cali standards and I've never heard of any vehicle not passing because of a aftermaket CAI.

Shoot, my dealer installed my shorties that didn't yet have that CARB EO sticker.
Cool! Be glad you don't live in MD! I doubt they will be as easy. :(

Do you have emission inspections?

EDIT: I see in PA it is part of the normal inspection. In MD we have to go to a special place for the emission inspection and they hook your car up to their computer to see if it passes. I am sure it would pass but the visual inspection is where I might have an issue. Like I said I may try and see how it goes and worst case I will have to switch out the box.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #205
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Cool! Be glad you don't live in MD! I doubt they will be as easy. :(

Do you have emission inspections?
Yes, along with the annual saftey inspection.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #206
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
In MD we have to go to a special place for the emission inspection and they hook your car up to their computer to see if it passes. I am sure it would pass but the visual inspection is where I might have an issue. .
This is gov't for you. You can pass the emissions test for air pollution which is the whole point of the emissions laws, but you may not pass visually. We need common sense back in this country.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #207
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Engr View Post
BTW, none of these kits is street legal. No V6 Camaro CAI kit can be legal unless it is completely sealed and can incorporate the stock HC carbon trap found in the stock air box lid.
Quote:
I never said it had to be a fully closed box.

The truth is it is not legal. Just because they have submitted for CARB Exemption doesn't mean they have or will even get it. The truth is the ONLY aftermarket intake CARB approved is the GM version which isn't even available.
Then what did you mean by this?

Also, the injen for the v6 camaro may not have the carb eo number yet, but that does not mean it won't pass emissions. The carb eo number won't magically make the injen pass emissions in all states. Like I said, all intakes injen makes is legal in all states. Don't you think they check to make sure it passes inspection in all states before they send out their product to get the carb eo number, which could take a year to get? Trust me, if they sent out their product to get the carb eo number, they know it will pass. So unless whoever is inspecting your car asks for the carb eo number, you will be fine. And the only reason they should even ask for it is if you don't pass emissions.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #208
Venom40k
No... not the SS...

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS *Red*
Score one for Ohio! I feel for you guys living in those "Capt'n Planet Friendly States". Beside with December 12th 2012 just around the corner...... whats it really matter!?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #209
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
This is gov't for you. You can pass the emissions test for air pollution which is the whole point of the emissions laws, but you may not pass visually. We need common sense back in this country.
I love Cali Great place for the weather but emiisions here suck! ITS all about the money, I heard rumors from people in the smog buz that in 4-5 years we get to rational sense and do away with the stations. All we do is go to a metered unit of some sort, stick the sniffer up the pipe,enter all inputs and if it passes, it passes, none of the whats on your car junk and does it have a EO # Again its about the money, its costing Cali to much for the smog program! Again, rumors. Asto the pending thing, if its pending it usaully comes. Companies wont waste the time and high cost to certify but it has to be I think a proven item like shorty headers or catback they know will pass.
Out here you have to have the EO with you, a decal under the hood or on the part for them to see or they "may" ask.Our cai's may not be legal because of this visual, weather it passes smog or not and because of the hydrocarbon trap they dont have which may be the sticker here. On my 98 LS1 Z28 it just has a air lid and anything in front of the maf was o.k. I'll just take off the Airaid in six years at smog time and put the stocker back on. IF my D/T shortys dont have a eo by then I will do the same!!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #210
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Then what did you mean by this?

Also, the injen for the v6 camaro may not have the carb eo number yet, but that does not mean it won't pass emissions. The carb eo number won't magically make the injen pass emissions in all states. Like I said, all intakes injen makes is legal in all states. Don't you think they check to make sure it passes inspection in all states before they send out their product to get the carb eo number, which could take a year to get? Trust me, if they sent out their product to get the carb eo number, they know it will pass. So unless whoever is inspecting your car asks for the carb eo number, you will be fine. And the only reason they should even ask for it is if you don't pass emissions.
What do I mean by what? It wasn't me who said anything about a sealed box. I just stated that it is not 50 state legal.

I am not sure what you are arguing. FACT: To be legal in all states the CAI needs a CARB number. FACT: The Injen doesn't have one. Does that mean that they guy who does the inspection won't let you pass? No, it doesn't. I just had my car I sold pass the MD inspection with tint that was too dark, but that is what an extra $60 will do for you.

Yes they sent out for one, but if I were to have my car inspected and they asked for the CARB number and I said, "Injen has applied for one" what do you think they will say to me?

Like I said I am going to try and get my Airaid to pass as is, but if it doesn't then it is an easy fix.

Last edited by SchwarzerDrache; 07-27-2010 at 10:10 PM.