Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #197
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
dude if your at 40 mph your gunna die no matter what your driving your head will be gone , on the other hand mini vans are really cool and rated very good lol ....
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #198
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Okay...well the OP doesnt provide any sort of "sensor" info now does he. Hes merely going off the video too. So unless you have info about the "sensors" theres not much else to go off of.

Thank you.
The Common Sense
The government did the testing and rated it at 4 stars. nobody got the 4 star rating from anyone who posted a vid that is the actual rating.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #199
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
I want to see a crash test rating system that is the same for all types of vehicles. THis one is only valid within types. Ex: If you compare a Suburban to an econobox, the crash test scales are different. Ex: The damages done to the Suburban, an 8000lb car, and the damages done to a smaller vehicle, weighing less, will garner completely different crash test ratings.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #200
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
ummm I got in a head on collision with a car (older lumina) in an older mitsubish mirage....while not wearing my seatbelt. The guy was going about 60mph and I was sleeping rolling through an intersection waiting for a light to turn green.

I dont think 40mph is going to kill to many people in car accidents.

Where did you even come up with that?
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #201
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
The government did the testing and rated it at 4 stars. nobody got the 4 star rating from anyone who posted a vid that is the actual rating.
Okay. You never said anything about ratings. You claimed some nonsense about sensors.

Well a quick google search will show you that

a 4 star front impact means about an 11-20% chance of injury.

a 5 star is 10% or less.

Then sides a 5 star is about 5% chance of injury. A 4 star is 6-10% chance of injury.

Now pull up your panties and relax folks. Your not going to die in your Camaro at 40mph. Unless you hit a truck with a shit ton of poles and one comes loose and goes through your face.

Seriously.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #202
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
If you're buying a Camaro for a 5 star safety rating, somehow I think you've got your priorties mixed up and should probably be buying a Volvo....

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #203
Unfair
Banned

Quote:
Okay. You never said anything about ratings. You claimed some nonsense about sensors.

a 5 star is 10% or less.

Then sides a 5 star is about 5% chance of injury. A 4 star is 6-10% chance of injury.

Now pull up your panties and relax folks. Your not going to die in your Camaro at 40mph. Unless you hit a truck with a shit ton of poles and one comes loose and goes through your face.

Seriously.
all i said was that they use sensors to measure different forces and other variables they don't go on how the car LOOKS. get what i have been saying? yes i said stuff about sensors do you think they crash the car and stare at it and decide?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #204
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:

a 5 star is 10% or less.

Seriously.
agreed...

for all we know, the percentage landed at 11%.

1% shy of the 5 star rating. lets not make this out to be another giant issue, but then again... it already is.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #205
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Well if we're going on how this "looks", it looks better than this:
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #206
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Here's the sensor data comparison between the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. Technically, according to NHTSA, you can only really compare the Camaro with the Challenger because they are in the same weight class, the Mustang is outside of the 250lb range to be considered a comparison for the other two.

You can see that the sensor data shows that the Camaro transmits more forces to the passengers than the other two cars do. I don't care what the physical damage to the car is, if it can't dissipate energy before it gets to the occupants, then the sensors will pick that up.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf CrashRatingsComparison.pdf (332.4 KB, 226 views)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #207
Unfair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
Well if we're going on how this "looks", it looks better than this:
Thank you pefect example of what i am saying, see how that crash looks worse but actually isn't for the passengers? that challenger got a 5 star frontal crash rating but looks worse BECAUSE THEY DO NOT GO ON LOOKS stop saying "looks fine to me" lol
Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #208
Unfair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Here's the sensor data comparison between the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. Technically, according to NHTSA, you can only really compare the Camaro with the Challenger because they are in the same weight class, the Mustang is outside of the 250lb range to be considered a comparison for the other two.

You can see that the sensor data shows that the Camaro transmits more forces to the passengers than the other two cars do. I don't care what the physical damage to the car is, if it can't dissipate energy before it gets to the occupants, then the sensors will pick that up.
Thank you now they can stop bashing me about "fancy sensors" lol
Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #209
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro SS/RS -Blk Int.
Quote:
Actually doesnt look that bad compared to the challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I want more information other than the title of a YouTube video. After all, I can post the same video and put 3 star rating in the title.

From what I've heard and seen it looks like the Camaro is holding up well in crashes. I saw a post where someone hit a tree really hard in the front and it definately totalled the car yet he walked away with no issues.
Looking at the crash test is not indicative of how well it did. It's all about cabin impact, and Challenger/Mustang rated 5... Camaro 4...
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #210
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I'll say it again .. no NEW car today should every have less than a 5 star rating .. this is piss poor IMO.

Crowley

Tags
chevyridinghigh, whiner