Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2024, 08:37 PM   #1
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Farewell to CAMZL1...

Well, it's been a great journey with the awsome folks on Camaro6 and with my ZL1, but for better or worse, I am moving on.

You will soon see a 2017 White Camaro ZL1 Convertible that I traded in on the interweb (VIN 1G1FJ3D66H0196358), about 32K miles, 6 Speed, carbon fiber hood scoop, upgraded Bose stereo, and pretty darn good condition.

It's got some cool upgrades: Gen2 phone recharge pad, 1 touch top down/up, skip shift eliminator, Car2PLAY wireless CarPlay, and stereo upgrades (Morel, JL sub, Rockford/Fosgate, Helix, GM650, small sub volume control under dash - retains all stock head unit features).

And I took good care of it: I've got full scanned receipts for maintenance items and 3 x convertible top repairs: 1) I put a bag behind the trunk separator and crunched the top hinges, about a $1K repair at Chevy/San Jose; 2) someone knifed the fabric top - full top fabric (exterior/interior) replacement with OEM parts ($3K, thanks Progressive); 3) I got the famous "hinge cover stuck" flaw that crunched the top hinges - about a $1K repair.

Fluids changed at appropriate intervals. Always clutched appropriately shifted carefully, especially 1 to 2, never 2 to 1. Absolutely 0 launch control starts, 0 no lift shifts, 0 visits to the track.

Let me know if you see it, are interested, and want any background.

I will include a few farewell pics... and a few pics of it's replacement, a 2023 Porsche Macan T. I know, I know, apples and oranges, but the new orange is pretty sweet - especially the combo of Gentian Blue outside, Gentian Blue matching trim bits inside, and Gentian Blue deviated leather stitching on seats and dash.

I really appreciate the Camaro6 forum. From what I see on the Macan side, this forum is so much better - thanks to you all and the Admins. Keep in touch friends!!!

Attached Images

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:57 PM   #2
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Wish you the best. Good luck with the new car and stay in touch. Hope to hear from you again
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:23 PM   #3
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
The dealership experience is really something isn’t it? I bought my car from a Porsche dealership and was treated like a Big Shot every step of the way, and for a used Chevy. Totally unlike any other car buying experience.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 11:09 PM   #4
Plasar

Yes Craig - I'm glad you had a good experience - and for a non-Porsche car even!

My experience at Porsche Beaverton was FANTASTIC, and in large measure thanks to my salesperson, Nick Roseta. Nick was extremely knowledgeable - he even knew about 3rd party stereo upgrades for the Macan from Musicar Northwest (Macan Bose is equally as lame as Camaro Bose). He got me an excellent deal on my Macan including the Camaro as trade-in and the price of the Certified Pre-Owned Macan T. (Funny, at this dealership, there were about 5 x 2023 Macan loaners on sale Certified Pre-Owned that were a basic spec but with the $5,700 Burmester stereo option - this stereo is AWESOME!)

At his dealership, there is no separate "Finance Person" and that dreaded final session where the finance person offers you every worthless post-sale option under the sun. The sales person handles the deal from start to finish. This is not to say that Nick did not have his list of 10 worthless post-sale options - he did - but since I told him I almost certainly didn't want any, he spent about 10 seconds on each, and even mentioned which he didn't recommend.

Also, the offer passed on 2 Oregon dealership taxes to me, which they are legally able to do, but the buyer can certainly refuse these charges (Corporate Activity Tax, Vehicle Privilege Tax). Instead of pushing back, I requested the price was adjusted down to cover these charges, and this was done.

Of course, the dealership was super impressive, modern, clean, coffee/espresso/water, amazing cars on the floor, open window to the service department with amazing new/vintage Porsches, etc. They had just also had the monthly dealership "Cars & Coffee" that Saturday where customers bring in their Porsches for "Show & Tell". Cool!

HOWEVER, not all Porsche dealerships are like this. I had another Macan of interest - Paypaya Orange with deviated Payaya Orange leather stitching - with Porsche of Palm Springs (CA) who tacked onto the price quote 1) a $1,300 GPS anti-theft tracker, and 2) a $300 door edge protector film. He mentioned his dealership management insisted they be added to each car. I didn't argue it up front - no reason to if I bought the local Macan T - but when I said I would probably not want these, he said "OK, I'll go back to my manager and see if we can discount to cover the cost of these items". Of course, he didn't understand that I didn't want any of this worthless crap on the car.

Note, there is a federal piece of legislation pending (CARS Rule) and a CA piece of legistation taking effect July 1, 2024 that gives the buyer the right to REFUSE these "mandatory add-ons". Lesson learned: even Porsche dealers are not below this kind of BS. You gotta love "The People's Republic of California" being on the front foot with this kind of consumer protection - see also CA Privacy Law called CCPA (like EU GDPR). Oregon is not there yet.

Federal CARS Rule/FTC: https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...-dealers-guide

CA Car Buyer's Bill of Rights: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/car-bu...ights-ffvr-35/

OR Buying A Vehicle: https://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer...ing-a-vehicle/
Old 05-14-2024, 11:07 AM   #5
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
I just noticed you’re in Beaverton, bring that Porsche to the Fossil Run on June 8th. Search it on FB if you need info. My 1LE is sharkskin with an unwrapped hood, come say hello if you see it.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:56 AM   #6
Plasar

Thanks for the heads up Craig - it looks awesome, I am going to click Interested, and I might well see you there!

Attached Images

Old 05-14-2024, 12:00 PM   #7
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Nick was extremely knowledgeable - he even knew about 3rd party stereo upgrades for the Macan from Musicar Northwest (Macan Bose is equally as lame as Camaro Bose).
Musicar is a frickin amazing place to deal with. Helped me in my Bose upgrades for my 911S. And yeah the Burmester stereo is on par with the best. Beats the wife's Audi's Bang & Olufsen, which is very good.

And yeah, P-car dealerships are always a great experience, minus the P-car tax. Find a local independent mechanic... best way is to join your local PCA group, and ask those guys. It'll probably be one of the technical inspection shops that does track events. You *know* they'll be good as they are cert'd by PCNA.

Don't know about Macan specific forums, but Rennlist, at least for the 991.2 cars, was a good place of info, with lots of like minded car guys. Enjoy the 'hot hatch', they are a hoot to drive!

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:57 AM   #8
Plasar

Wow, thanks Curr!

I appreciate the kudos for Musicar. I spoke with Nick and just got the quote from them. While it's expensive, they are certainly choosing quality components and I think they know where to invest the most (speakers/Morel, amp+DSP/AudioTech Fischer) to get the best sound.

I'm lucky to live in Portland and have them here to do the install. Also, there's no sales tax in Portland - so I always convince myself this is the best place to drop A LOT OF MONEY on a new purchase - I think of how much I'm SAVING with 0% SALES TAX!

And glad you reminded me about PCA/Porsche Club of America. I love their YouTube videos, especially Nathan Merz nerding out on a particular model and generation - ex. see paint-to-sample Chartruse Green Cayman below. I don't think I'll ever track the Macan, but I might try a Car Control Clinic or something, like I did for BMW in San Francisco.

https://youtu.be/v3_OfC5R2wc?si=YzpaYukG26co0Pz1&t=1753

Attached Images

Old 05-16-2024, 06:53 PM   #9
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post

Always clutched appropriately shifted carefully, especially 1 to 2, never 2 to 1.

What does this mean, "never 2 to 1"?
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #10
Plasar

Besides the point of some people NEVER downshifting for engine braking, if you do downshift for engine braking, you probably shouldn’t shift from 2nd to 1st gear ever for BRAKING - it must by very hard on the synchros and transmission. Come to a full stop from 2nd gear before moving to 1st.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:46 PM   #11
Plasar

OK, I see my former Camaro for sale at:

Armstrong Chevrolet
1315 NE 3rd St
McMinnville, Oregon 97128
(503) 472-0383

No pics yet and no price yet - but should be coming soon, or you can call and ask about it.

https://www.armstrongchevrolet.com/V...ck-view-modern

I'll attach the CarFax and perhaps the link below will work for you:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...JGhhCVgByduFpi

They got it somewhat right: the maintenance history looks spot on (you'll see regular oil changes, 2 year brake fluid change, 4 year coolant change, etc.) but it there are only 2 owners - the original owner from NJ and then me. I first registered the car in CA but then relocated and re-registered it in OR.

Note: I have no financial or other interest in the car, I just want to provide any of you potential purchasers with info, answer your questions, and give you a little more confidence in this car then you would otherwise have if you didn't know the history.

For example, you are getting an $8,000 upgraded stereo, which is awesome, but I think you may need a Helix retuning - the second shop I worked with did not have the most competent Helix tuner.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2017 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1-1G1FJ3D66H0196358.pdf (1.10 MB, 6 views)