Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Trade-in when purchasing out-of-state?

With all the fuss about allocations and MSRP etc it seems many are sourcing ZL1s from places that are out-of-state.

Whilst I have now decided to wait for the 2013 model year, there is still a fair chance I will have to order from further afield and this got me thinking - how exactly does the trade-in work with an out-of-state purchase?

How is the value of my current car appraised, do I have to drive it there for assessment or will photos suffice? Same goes for when the ZL1 arrives - would I need to drive to the ordering dealership to pick it up and drop my current car off or is there some sort of delivery/pick-up service available?

What about all the paperwork etc? And registration/tags etc?

Has anyone purchased from out of state with a trade-in before and if so how did it all work?

Any advice appreciated
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
I traded out of state before.

I sent good pictures, including close-ups of the few paint chips I had, and the rest of information. (date purchased, warranty left, oil changes, etc.)

I thought they allowed me a reasonable amount, so I said OK and drove my trade-in about 700 miles to the dealer, and drove the new car home.

It worked very well, the paperwork shows a trade saving me some taxes when I went to register the vehicle in my state. I had a temporary tag to drive on until that time. It was better than selling mine outright, in this case.

If you have an older higher mileage vehicle this may not work, but mine was a 9 month old car with very low miles and warranty. HTH.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
There are a few factors to think about before you trade your car in.

1. Research what Kelly Blue book and NADA have for your car. These 2 will give you a good idea on what your car is worth.

2. Be prepared to negotiate the trade in value of your car. Do not let them low ball you.

3. Remember, there are 3 key negotiations going on when you buy a car with a trade in. First, value of your car, second purchase price of the car you're buying, and if financing, the interest rate.

Number one rule, do not let the salesman ask you what you can afford to pay that each month. That's just giving them extra money. Work with the final price of the vehicle you're buying.
If you break up your negotiations into those 3 phases, you the customer will come out better than letting everything being done at once.

For across state trade ins, I would try and give as much info to the receiving dealership as possible on your car. They may not be able to give you a solid trade in value, but it will give them an idea on what to expect and could give you an estimate.