Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #1261
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I congratulate those that tried to do this, I took the easy way out, lol.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #1262
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don O View Post
I think they'd do it for free too. From their point of view it's a potential warranty claim....until they notice the HUD and go WTF, were'd THAT come from? But I'm gonna try any how. I'm going to take one more look at the connections before I take it in.

Don O
I would turn the hud off before going in, less likely to put two and two together and being a 2010. but more then likely something obvious is going to be found for the code being set other then a faulty sir part. Then the question will arise then how did this happen.

Another option, if you want to repair it yourself. You could try and go to a repair shop other then a dealer and pay to have them just read the code, but make sure before going they can read sir codes. Now you have the code to repair it yourself by service information trouble trees. This way you don't have to worry about any warranty issues. The nice thing about getting the code it will narrow the location of the problem down considerable. Where more likely you have something damaged or unplugged due to the hud install. When the problem is fixed the light should go out in most cases and you won't have to go back to have the code cleared. I would try the second option myself first. I can help you further with the code when you get it.

Last edited by lionssfan; 12-21-2010 at 10:58 PM.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #1263
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
DYI on the install of the HUD.

Here is the list that GM has you do, We do it almost the same way but i recommended some change.

We move #3 to #1.

First remove the console top cover and disconnect the wiring harnesses, And set it aside.

Next Pull the center console side trim on each side outward to release the clips and remove the trims, and set them aside.

Remove the screws on each side of the console rear end cover. There should be 2 on each side. (move seats forward so they are visible) The instructions say to remove the armrest as well but I did not have to do that to proceed)

Set the cover aside with the screws, Keep order of all the screws.

Remove the screws at the front of the center console on each side, ans set them Aside.

Remove the 2 screws at the rear of the console that fix it to the floor of the vehicle, Do not remove the harness.

Remove the 4 screws just behind and in front the gear shift in the center console.

And last is to disconnect the harness on the passenger side and remove the console and set it aside.(if your is an A6 car there is the handle that need"s to be removed)

Next is number one which is to disconnect the battery and do not start the car from here on out don't turn the key, I like to remove the two leads off the battery.

At this point i like to remove the radio and AC controls #9 and 10 so the SIR has time to discharge, There are two screws that you can see down low after you remove the center console, That is all that holds the radio face on, there is one harness the you will remove on the back side.(set it aside)

Will add pic later.

Now there is the radio and there is 4-7mm screws and two antenna connectors and one large connector the large one you lift the handel up and it will slide out, the antenna connectors are more fun.(set the radio aside and the screws)

Will add pic later.

Next we do number 4 which is removing the two side covers, It the ones that on the drivers side you need to take off to get to the fuse box, and the same on the passenger side.

Quote:
This is for the guys that need to add the ABL to your dash at the same time.

Do that for the two sides.. and set the covers to the side.

Next remove the S shape AC ducts, All that holds them is one 7MM screw and then you twist them out and set them to the side with the 2 screws.

In this pic you will see the screws and where the early build cars had the ABL connector for you guys that are getting the harness with ABL it now moves closer to where it needs to be.

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 12-22-2010 at 07:49 PM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #1264
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Now we do number 6 which is removing the speedometer and dash trim.

First get your fingers on the trim like this and start to pull it out.

It will come out with a little work go all the way on top then pull it up so it slides out.

And now its out set it aside for now.

There are 4 screws that you will remove to get the speedometer out the way, And as you can see there is 2 alignment pins over the 2 bottom screws so you can not do it wrong.

Now to remove the speedometer, In this pic you will see that i put a red line on the pic that is where you need to pull up on the dash so you can tilt the speedometer forwarder to get it out see pics.

Now remove the harness and set it aside with the 4 screws.

Next is the dash trims

Quote:
And for you guys adding ABL do not install this bake till we prep the trim and add the light pipes and LED's
Start at the ends of the dash, All that hold them is snap clips, After there out set them aside.

Ok so now that we did all this, the time has come to start on removing things that are close to air bags.

So next is removing the side A pillar covers It snaps out till it stops ten with a small screw driver there is a tab you need to push in so the clip can slide down and out that is it, Set them aside, Dont forget to take the parts out or the dash will not come out..........

Pics to come.

Next is the steering wheel So you know you need to remove the air bag first, Here are some pics.

And on the next two you see what your trying to push.

So now the air bag is in your hand and you need to remove the two connectors, Here are pics so you can see that all you do is lift the two locks and then you can lift the connectors, and you cant mess it up there not the same color.

Go set the air bag aside and up and don't drop any thing on it.

Quote:
Next is the wheel.
Disconnect the wires by pressing in on one wire connectors and releasing retainer one going to steering wheel coil.

Per the GM books there is only one torx holding it in and the harness on the wheel and the air bag leads that need to be routed out of the wheel.

Remove the torx and pull the wheel out and set it on the side.

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 12-22-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #1265
2SSRS@Gen5diy

saved-3
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #1266
2SSRS@Gen5diy

And saved-4
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #1267
SteveDoten

Drives: 2003 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDoten View Post
Need HUD install help?

PM or 8 sixty, nin 8 nin, 8972

A lot of small details that I can help with

2 hour out
1 hour cut dash
2 hour in

this should be a good goal for an experienced wrench
bumping up my info, write the # down, you may need it
SteveDoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #1268
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
AWESOME work guy's...i will probably have a master tech do my install sometime early next year,just not something i want to try to tackle,hopefully there are still some kits available,
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #1269
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
AWESOME work guy's...i will probably have a master tech do my install sometime early next year,just not something i want to try to tackle,hopefully there are still some kits available,
It not that hard at all only takes time, If you go up 6 post i started the install DYI i will get it done soon.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #1270
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
I would turn the hud off before going in, less likely to put two and two together and being a 2010. but more then likely something obvious is going to be found for the code being set other then a faulty sir part. Then the question will arise then how did this happen.

Another option, if you want to repair it yourself. You could try and go to a repair shop other then a dealer and pay to have them just read the code, but make sure before going they can read sir codes. Now you have the code to repair it yourself by service information trouble trees. This way you don't have to worry about any warranty issues. The nice thing about getting the code it will narrow the location of the problem down considerable. Where more likely you have something damaged or unplugged due to the hud install. When the problem is fixed the light should go out in most cases and you won't have to go back to have the code cleared. I would try the second option myself first. I can help you further with the code when you get it.
Thanks for the help. I agree the SIR code is gong to tell me where to look and I will fix it myself. I'll try and take it to the dealer over the holiday.

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #1271
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I will be starting on mine on Sunday. We will see how it goes. I will be taking my time and going slow. I don't want to mess anything up. If it takes more time so be it. I have all day Sunday and Monday to get it done if needed.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #1272
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
I will be starting on mine on Sunday. We will see how it goes. I will be taking my time and going slow. I don't want to mess anything up. If it takes more time so be it. I have all day Sunday and Monday to get it done if needed.
I started on Friday, I took 6 hours to remove the dash and less than an hour to cut it, on Saturday I took 2 hours to put the dash and, on Sunday 1 hour for the floor console
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #1273
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I agree the SIR code is gong to tell me where to look and I will fix it myself. I'll try and take it to the dealer over the holiday.

Don O
good luck Don O pm if you need help
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #1274
baba booey

Drives: abm 2ss rs
Quote:

Don O
Any news on the SIR code
baba booey is offline   Reply With Quote